Build log of the Calella OcCre kit Ref : 52002

Build log of the Calella
OcCre kit Ref : 52002 at 1:15 scale
That project is a bit a funny one, at the end of October (2008) I was sit at my office desk looking at OcCre catalogue of ship and showing some build in the yard to a colleague I was showing him the Carmella Carmina that Shere build.
At that time he point in the catalogue the Calella and said that he saw that boat somewhere. Ok no comment from me and back to work.
3 days later he came at my desk with a photo of his grand father a fisherman from Spain and guest what here you have an exact Calella. I was surprise even more when my friend ask me how much cost a boat like that and if I will accept to build it for him, as he want to offer it to his dad as a gift for Christmas. I said yes and place an order for 2 as my Lady want one for us. to have the kit ASAP and have plenty time to build it as we where last week of October.

Murphy law
OcCre do not have a master distributor in Canada It is Model Expo that got the licence for north America and guest what my store buy from Model Expo (it was cheaper for me true my store) a case of minimum billing and freight allow. The kits arrive on the 10 of December no time to build it for Christmas.
So I give the empty box to my friend and he wrap it to give to his dad.

Now the kit
Anyone that have build an OcCre kit before already know how well ant the attention given to the packaging. It come as usual with an instruction booklet and a step by step photo manual. All the parts are laser pre-cut and very clean.
These boats, around 16 feet in length are usually crew by two men and are mainly used for fishing mckerel and sardine, although they can be used for any other fish or crustaceans that might be attracted by the light shining down from the large gas-lit lanterns. One of their particular characteristics are the two large stabilizers “escuas” to limit the rocking of the wave swell, and the replacement of the helm with two ropes that operate the rudder through the lantern support.
1-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

The frame is made from strong 3.5mm plywood
And the laser cut made a precise fit
All the piece fit together perfectly and give a strong and perfectly straight hull
This is follow by building the floor and the pose of the deck
The hull planking start by installing 3 plank install 7mm from the edge
1.jpg
2.jpg

The planking continued with plank that goes from one end to the other photo
Just to show how it is possible to mist completely and I did not try to do any correction on it.
The reason was to show when you have 2 layers of planking how it is possible to made the correction and have a nice hull at the end
More planking of the hull
Here how the hull look after the first planking I am voluntary let show the defect to show how easy it is to correct them.
1.jpg

2.jpg

I glue the 2 stem in place front and back the fact that both end are round did make the planking of the hull more difficult
1.jpg
The sanding is almost finish and the hull start to look a lots better
2.jpg
Now the hull is ready to received the second planking all the defect are gone and I have now a nice hull
3.jpg

The deck planking and the installation of the first plywood side
1.jpg
Those plywood do not bent easily so I use heat and a bending iron photo 6-3 to give them the proper bent
the final mounting the adjustment between the hull and the plywood side do not adjust nicely so a bit more wood putty and more sanding
2.jpg

The second planking went like a charm and did not cause me any problem
1.jpg

One of the only 2 modification that I did on that build is to add some planking on the inside of the deck
I install the rudder Usually that installation cause me some problem but not this time
2.jpg

I finish the deck by doing some cutting and installing some plywood part I finish those step by painting the deck a light Ochre
3.jpg
Now the hull is completely paint and install on his base

Ok this will be the last post January 2009
The making of all the small part went like a breeze the oar the buoy the anchor and the pall, the basket came with the kit, the propane gas tank came preformed.
The only thing that was a but touchy was the making of the lanterns as the supports consist of a thick copper wire that came in big coil, the frame is in wood ant the 2 elbow are cast metal and very fragile.
On the lantern I made my second modification as I add light bulb. The lantern itself are perform.

Conclusion on that kit
Nice little kit not expensive and easy to build
All together around 50h of building time on each .
I do recommend it as a first wood kit
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

8-1.jpg

Very nice. Started work on mine a couple of weeks ago. Work, unfortunately, has been keeping me busy so still have a ways to go. First planking of the hull almost done.

Back