Build Log Questions

I have steadily been building the AL San Francisco II galleon since January (received it for Christmas last year). In the progress of the build, I have taken a LOT of pictures along the way. Should I start a build log to show the progression of the build? How many pictures is typical? (How many is too many?) One thing I can do is complete the build and then compose a .PDF of the entire thing as one document. Would that be advisable and postable? Any suggestions toward this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

It is a great question, Philski. I have the answers for you ready.

It is advisable starting the build log as soon as you start the actual model build, but it is not a requirement. It is just easy to follow the log from the beginning. There is no limit on images\photos, there is no limit on their size\resolution as well. The forum software will take care of compression, and will present uploaded images without sacrificing their quality. However, you can post up to 25 images\photos per single post. This is not the issue as we don't expect your build log will be a single post and you will have only 25 images.

I also would like to point out that most of our build logs, IMHO, are for other members or guests. The good build log spans many posts consisting of not only images\photos. Think of a build log as the story about your model development, the processes involved, and techniques you will\may use while building. It can be of great help to others.

Remember, we learn from each other, so don't delay, start your own build log of San Francisco II NOW! We are waiting...

BTW, Many thanks in advance.

I'll get started. By the way, I take the pictures on a Nikon D300, import them into Photoshop CS6, adjust, resize then use the 'Save for the Web' feature to further reduce size. They are saved in a JPG format. As an engineer, in the past I have written technical documents and equipment maintenance manuals. Making a log should be fun. And I am in the middle of installing the riggin on my model. This being my first wooden ship model build, I learn a lot along the way - mistakes and all. Thank you for your reply. I'll try to do a decent job of it.

Last edited:
I take the pictures on a Nikon D300, import them into Photoshop CS6, adjust, resize then use the 'Save for the Web' feature to further reduce size. They are saved in a JPG format.
Many thanks again and looking forward to your build log. Unless there is a specific reason or your images are in 'raw' format, resize and save it for the 'web' is not strictly required. As I mentioned above our forum software will take care of the size and compression.

One thing I can do is complete the build and then compose a .PDF of the entire thing as one document.
i think an on going log would be better than a PDF file because other members can post comments as you go.

I have taken a LOT of pictures along the way. Should I start a build log to show the progression of the build? How many pictures is typical? (How many is too many?)

no such thing as to many, post lots and lots of pictures
i use photoshop and set my pictures at resolution of 200 and the image size at 5 inches width this gives me a nice clear sharp image that will fill the scren

Last edited:
I started my build log on MarisStella's Ragusian Cog after I had already started. Just group your picts into subsections.
The Artesian Latina San Francisco was my 2nd wooden ship model ever. I don't think it was the "2nd" version though. I renamed it the "San Martin":

20210902_203951.jpg

Back