Build Log: RCMP St. Roch [COMPLETED BUILD]

I just started this Billings Boat project. This is my first ship model. I actually built a few but so long ago (40 years ago!), that I forgot just about everything about techniques. So feel free SOS members to provide feedback and suggestions!

IMG_3026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are really no step by step instructions, so I had to rely on some input from a number of people on the Billings Boat facebook site. An early question was what the square balsa wood blocks were for. There's no mention of them in the visuals or the instructions. It ends up that they need to be shaped and inserted at the stern. Also the planks aren't long enough to go right around to the stern. So I will have to add and bend some short pieces to go around the stern.

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3041 copy.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

The Billings instructions suggest building the halves of the hull separately, adding the planks to each half and then gluing them together in the end. However the keels were slightly warped and I was worried that if I built them separately and adding planks tom each side independently from the other side, it could throw everything out of alignment. So, I put the two halves together (that got rid of the warping) and will go from there.

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

Great to see your log up and running Carl.

I think you are wise to build the hull in one complete piece. I constructed mine in the two halves as suggested in the instructions. To be honest I couldn’t see any real advantage that way.

Have fun.
Roger

I think you are wise to build the hull in one complete piece. I constructed mine in the two halves as suggested in the instructions. To be honest I couldn’t see any real advantage that way.

Have fun.
Roger
I also thought if it was one piece, it would be easier to make sure that the decks and gunwales were lined up with each other and symmetrical.

I find it interesting that the kit producers don't always use common sense in their instructions. Its always best to apply your own sense.

This is my first Billings kit in almost 40 years. I have done a number of Occre kits, but no ships, just trains and trams. I must say that the Occre instructions are very good. Each step described in detail along with drawings or photos. This one, the Billings St. Roch does leave a lot to common sense. Fortunately there are others who have built this so I am constantly looking at their photos, etc..

I am well on my way through the planking. I must say, despite my efforts, here will be a ton of work ahead to sand it into shape. Lots of ridges. Fortunately I will be painting, so I just need to make sure things are smooth.

I did not use wood glue. I tried to use wood glue and tacks, but I found the bulwarks to be quite narrow, and getting the pins to stick was problematic. So I have been using superglue, plus accelerant, and it seems to be working OK.

Attachments

• IMG_3093.jpg
    IMG_3093.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3102.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 54

Have fun.
Roger

I have a question..What kind of strips did you use here (see arrows). Were these the same as the hull planks or the narrower ones?

Attachments

• IMG_3107.jpg
    IMG_3107.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 8.50.40 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 8.50.40 PM copy.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
I have a question..What kind of strips did you use here (see arrows). Were these the same as the hull planks or the narrower ones?
Hello Carl, if I remember correctly I used the same ones as the hull planks. The center for’d one (in line with the name) was filed into that curve you can see. The topmost plank was trimmed as necessary.

(Edit: I just checked the model itself and it looks like I used thinner width planks aft but the same thickness as the hull planks - testing my memory :D )

Last edited:
Hello Carl, if I remember correctly I used the same ones as the hull planks. The center for’d one (in line with the name) was filed into that curve you can see. The topmost plank was trimmed as necessary.

(Edit: I just checked the model itself and it looks like I used thinner width planks aft but the same thickness as the hull planks - testing my memory :D )
Thanks Roger..

Roger did you do a build on the launch I see in your post picture. Brian B
@Bwb1cdn Hi Brian, if you mean a “build log” then no I’m sorry to say. I finished it before joining SOS. However, there are other photos of my build in the completed ship section if that is any help. I also have some photos of a dory in the museum in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.

Last edited:
Back