San Juan Galleon XVIs - Artesiana Latina by Fish&Chip

Hi,
This is a port over from another Forum where I post my log.

This is my first build that I want to humbly present to you. My English is not so good, but I am able to understand all your comments. I will post a series of pictures of my work in progress. The ship has been tint with Saman waterbased tint and watersoluble varnish (Saman too) was used for protection and for clear coat. I tinted over varnish in multiple layers given more depth and opaque tints. I used CA glue (Bob Smith) and yellow wood glue (Lepage).

I Badly had the idea to begin my project before read enough ! So, I had to corrected some mistakes from the beginning. So let me begin my my small workplace in my basement house.

I purchased some small tools (yeah, it is suppose to take only few basic tools… this is hat I tell to my wife. I had to sell my gaming computer for that - flight simulation stuff) :
Dremel (micro and 3000 version)
Proxxon scroll saw
Proxxon micro coupound table
Proxxon mini lathe (the kit miss some dowel, to be confirmed later)
Proxxon bench vise
Gütermann polyester thread of various size and color

aWorking place 1.jpgaWorking place 2.jpgGuntmann.jpgProxxon bench vise.jpgProxxon coupound table.jpgProxxon micro Dremel.jpgProxxon mini lathe.jpgProxxon scroll saw.jpg

This first build is difficult because of a bad start. Some misalignement here and there. But, wow, a lot of learning step that will be useful for my next builds : Belem (AL) and Bounty (AL) all of these are already purchased at reasonable price, not on Eba*** or Amaz*** where the prices goes crazy.

I built this as my second ship, its a fun build and gives you the 'avast ye pirate' feeling. It's was later modified to become the San franciso II galleon. The same ship just enhanced a little. The instruction on mine consisted of a fold out sheet that ended at the hull stage. The rest you have to do from plans.DSC02992.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this building log - nice and comfortable workshop you have - and seems, that you are doing your rigging cord by yourself (how you make your ropes?)
I will follow your log with big interest

I have
I built this as my second ship, its a fun build and gives you the 'avast ye pirate' feeling. It's was later modified to become the San franciso II galleon. The same ship just enhanced a little. The instruction on mine consisted of a fold out sheet that ended at the hull stage. The rest you have to do from plans.View attachment 128859

This a beautiful ship. The upgrade let us use some painted armor and metal pieces not found in San Juan ship. My ship was done by my wife, she didn't know the difference between the these two ships and the vendor at local shop propose the San Juan to her even if they were at the same price ! Well.... no comment here...

I have the Ancre plan 1/75 for the Belem. I search the plan for the Bounty.

Michel

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this building log - nice and comfortable workshop you have - and seems, that you are doing your rigging cord by yourself (how you make your ropes?)
I will follow your log with big interest

I WILL use the Syren ropewalk from Chuck with Gütermann polyester thread of various size and color. I am not sure if I will use it for the San Juan since it is a learning curve build dedicated to my very young grand-son. I am tempted to purchased the San Fransisco II for my self and then may be rig the ship with the ropewalk. For sure. I reserved the thread for the Belem and the Bounty.

Chuck Rope Maker.jpg

Thank you Donald.

I had the opportunities to Read a lot of threads of devout peoples that help me to discerner the best tools and equipments that fit my needs without overscaling m'y requirements.

Last edited:
Hi,
It is time for me to update my status journey in this difficult built for a begginner.

I had somme issue with mast alignement, the main mast move and disaligned during the glue curing. I removed it, broken the annular base and had to reshaped it. But the worst thing was the wrong size delivered with the kit for the top mast. The plan state a 32 mm at the base and 40 mm at the top. The pieces in the kit have 30 mm at the top. They were to small. I purchased the good size from C.... UK and received the wrong size. Too large this time. I buy again, with special note asking to take care about the size that do not corresponded to the pieces as advertised, and received the same previous top mast again. So I decided to built somes with the tools available at my hands, so do be surprised of the result, I am sure their design are not in any book or museum! My english may be too bad to give clear instruction too the seller.

I will corrected some defected in the main and mizzen masts since the corrections maded.With only a gentle sanding and color touch up all will be well set I think.

Thereafter, I will start the installation of the stay lines and then the Shrouds.

Lets go now for pictures, with some related to new acquisitions. SM4 Domanoff serving machine and a Rikon 10" bandsaw (in route). I made adaptaation to SM$ since the small pins are not mounted in the new delivery by Mr. Domanoff. I made also some DIY tools with needles.03J7381-rikon-10-inch-deluxe-bandsaw-model-10-3061-f-0001.jpg20200314_181127.jpg20200314_181132.jpg20200402_080955.jpg20200414_075339.jpg20200414_075350.jpg20200414_075357.jpg20200414_075436.jpg20200414_075447.jpg20200414_075454.jpg20200414_075502.jpg20200414_075508.jpg20200414_075514.jpg20200414_075559.jpg20200414_075603.jpg20200414_075847.jpg20200414_075901.jpgUpdate 1.jpgUpdate 2.jpgUpdate 3.jpgUpdate 4.jpg

Back