Build Log: Santisima Trinidad (Occre 1:90 Scale Kit)

Hi. My name is Alan and I welcome you to my build log of the Santisima Trinidad.

I live in Portchester, Hampshire, United Kingdom. We are on Portsmouth Harbour and enjoy several views across the harbour towards Portsmouth of HMS Victory and HMS Warrior.

I do have the 1/72 Jotika Caldercraft HMS Victory which I commenced on the 1st January 2017 but burnt myself out on the 1st April that same year having worked on it every day. Just stopped .... can't explain why! I had completed the first planking and was working on the Quarter Galleries. I have kept 615 photos of the build so when I get back to that build I can create another build log.

My interest flared up again a month ago to return to the build. But after watching several videos online I decided I wanted to build up more practice and techniques before returning to the Victory. So I decided to try something less intimidating and chose Occre's Santisima Trinidad.

Now that I have started I'm finding it just as challenging as the Victory. But I have the guidance of many build videos and build logs on this forum done by others on this ship. These videos and text logs are so much better than the instructions that come with these kits.

So my confidence is running high.

I started this build on the 23rd July 2021. The following year to '2020 The Year of the Pandemic.'

So here we go and thanks for following on:

Day 1

Dry fitting the hull structure. Click on the images to see a larger image.

D5P_0783.jpeg

Encountered an early problem with the kit. Part 10 was missing two cutouts.

D5P_0784.jpeg

D5P_0786.jpeg

D5P_0787.jpeg

D5P_0788.jpeg

If you look carefully you'll see some warping in the wood. I found that after cutting the hull parts from the the wood sheets they soon started to warp. So some hot water and heavy weights were used to flatten them!

D5P_0796.jpeg
D5P_0798.jpeg

Dry fitting again.

D5P_0801.jpeg

It's late here now I'll continue tomorrow......

Last edited:
Day 2

Glueing commences. Found everything in this hull structure procedure to go very well. Everything fitted really well. Unfortunately the wood started to warp again but with the insertion of the occasional pin I was able to line everything up.

D5P_0807.jpeg
D5P_0809.jpeg
D5P_0810.jpeg
D5P_0814.jpeg
D5P_0818.jpeg
D5P_0822.jpeg
D5P_0828.jpeg
D5P_0826.jpeg

Day 4 Part 1

I decided to glue and nail in the rear of the main deck before installing the lower deck which was different to the kit instructions.

And NO ... thats not a 5G antena being installed at the bow.

D5P_0839.jpeg
D5P_0840.jpeg
D5P_0845.jpeg

Again, I'm so impressed with how everything is lining up. The following picture shows the front of the main deck dry fitted. You can see how well its all fitting.

D5P_0849.jpeg

More day 5 to follow.......

Last edited:
Hey mate great work I'll pull up a chair always loved this ship onwards and upwards
Cheers snowy

Day 4 Part 2

Planking the lower deck. As you can see, in the following photos, the planking has come out a bit dark and the permanent marker pen has smeared across the deck. In a hurry to get this build done quickly I wasn't thinking and did not do my research! After planking the deck I brushed on Humbrol Satin Cote. BIG MISTAKE. When sanding it down (a few hours later!) it smeared the marker pen from in between the planks. Stupid me. I clean it up later and you will see in a few days time it gets better. I lean't a lesson and I'll slow down now and do this properly.

D5P_0857.jpeg D5P_0858.jpeg

D5P_0859.jpeg D5P_0860.jpeg
D5P_0861.jpeg D5P_0862.jpeg
D5P_0863.jpeg D5P_0864.jpeg
D5P_0865.jpeg D5P_0867.jpeg
D5P_0868.jpeg D5P_0873.jpeg

D5P_0874.jpeg

And finally before the close of day I prepared the bow sections of the main deck ready for installation.

And again Click on each image to see a larger view.

D5P_0875.jpeg

Day 6 to follow.......

Last edited:
I used a black permanent marker on one edge of each plank.
Alan, try a sketching pencil or something else. Assemble the flooring in a bag, level the butt, sand it a little until smooth and paint it with black acrylic paint. Do not disassemble the bag until the paint is dry. After the paint has dried, sand it again, then carefully disassemble the package.

Alan, try a sketching pencil or something else. Assemble the flooring in a bag, level the butt, sand it a little until smooth and paint it with black acrylic paint. Do not disassemble the bag until the paint is dry. After the paint has dried, sand it again, then carefully disassemble the package.
Great tips Alexander74. Thank you.

I've already planked the main deck and you will see the results soon......

Looking very good - I am very happy to see another very interesting building log of the Santisima Trinidad .....
I will follow your work with big interest

Great progress work, Alan. Despite that, you skipped Day 4 :D your deck color looks real. Keep the good work!
Silly me.
I've corrected the above posts.

I'll post some more progress later this evening. Need to cut some more port holes before tea!

I'm on Day 20 of the build ........ so need to post a few updates on here to catch up. Stay tuned...........

Last edited:
Day 5 Part 2

Planking starts........

D5P_0878.jpeg

D5P_0881.jpeg D5P_0884.jpeg
D5P_0885.jpeg D5P_0886.jpeg

Days 6 and 7

I spent these two days finishing the planking on the main deck and then sanding both decks. I done some research and decided I would try Danish oil on the planking.

I was really pleased with the results. I used the oil 3 times sanding down with 0000 ultra fine steel wire wool after each coat.

Back