BUILD LOG: SOLEIL ROYAL - TRYING TO ENHANCE KIT DeA [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello, just started to build this amazing vessel in scale 1:70. DeA's kit is very well done, qualitiy materials and decorations, but it is a kit and this time I want to go beyond and build a model that when I'll look at it I can say I couldn't make it better than that.
Some pics of deks not yet finished: at the end they will look teak color; also a detail of the shape of some floor boards. Hoping you will like them, every suggest coming from experts is welcome.

1665937560131.jpg

1665937560103.jpg

1665937560124.jpg

1665937560112.jpg

1665937560134.jpg

Update.
Lo scafo è pronto per la posa del fasciame. Ho rinforzato l'opera viva con blocchetti di abete tagliati a misura e sagomati. Infatti farò un solo strato di fasciame perché ho previsto di verniciarla di bianco. Resterà a vista il fasciame dell'opera morta, salvo la parte superiore delle murate che va per forza dipinta.

311193596_1534323917031570_4942167208855255690_n.jpg

311444110_1534323970364898_5413871226496328112_n.jpg

Even the bulwarks are done. There are still some imperfections to be corrected before mounting the final layer of planking.
However careful you are, something to fix always emerges, and it is important to notice it in time for the success of the hull. The difficulty lies in the complex shape of these hulls, with both longitudinal and vertical curves. I think that If they designed a greater number of ordinates, in order to reduce the empty spaces between one and the other, everything would be simpler.

1666951263178.jpg

I would like a suggest: I’m also going to make the gunwales and relative scuppers. The scale is 1:72, the deck boards are 5mm wide, so I thought of making the stringers from a strip with a square section of 2.5mm.

For the scuppers I have provided 1mm holes in which I should insert sections of a metal tube.

First question:

Do you think the proportions are correct?

A friend pointed out to me that scuppers should have a square section, and things get very complicated here.
So I’m asking for suggestions for simple but correct solutions.

A friend pointed out to me that scuppers should have a square section, and things get very complicated here.
So I’m asking for suggestions for simple but correct solutions.
Take a look at this posts - you will find rectangle but also a lot of round scuppers

Take a look at this posts - you will find rectangle but also a lot of round scuppers

Thank you, very useful!

Good luck, do you intend to correct the sculpture and onrament too?
Thank you. No, they are made very well already and well finished. I just need to make an aging treatment.
Since we are on the subject, about ropes and blocks, the kit provides assorted ropes from 0.15 to 0.80 diameter and blocks are 4 and 5 mm.Being the scale 1:72, do you think they are correct?
My last recent built has been the Sovereign of the seas in 1:74 scale and ropes where from 0.50 to 1.3, blocks from 5 to 7 mm. and only after the built I realized they were out of scale.

I've never built sail ships before soo I can't tell on the rope, sorry. Would the difference really be that visible at 1/70 scale tho?

I've never built sail ships before soo I can't tell on the rope, sorry. Would the difference really be that visible at 1/70 scale tho?
Probably not, but you also have to account for the fact that most kits have blocks which are overly large. I would replace all kit blocks with properly sized ones which also have correct shape. Replacing all the blocks does make a difference in improving the appearance of the model when it's finished.

Still about joints...
I made some study in the last days and asked for informations to several modelists that are supposed to know their stuff. The result is that basicly everyone tells his story that is different from the others. My conclusion is that the only truth is there is no truth, so I will proceed with my version of truth following the way that appears to be more logic.
The basic joint is on the heads, the same as for decks. For hulls there also are two types of scull joints, simple and double.
As these kinds of joints are more stable, the logic tells me they were the ones used for hulls. Therefore I will use the double one for girdles and the simple one for the rest of the plank.

incastro semplice.png

incastro doppio per cinte.PNG

Still about joints...
I made some study in the last days and asked for informations to several modelists that are supposed to know their stuff. The result is that basicly everyone tells his story that is different from the others. My conclusion is that the only truth is there is no truth, so I will proceed with my version of truth following the way that appears to be more logic.
The basic joint is on the heads, the same as for decks. For hulls there also are two types of scull joints, simple and double.
As these kinds of joints are more stable, the logic tells me they were the ones used for hulls. Therefore I will use the double one for girdles and the simple one for the rest of the plank.

View attachment 337514

View attachment 337515
Hello Alexander, right everyone has his say.Your conclusion that you say that there is no truth, sorry have you consulted any text on the subject?

cd.jpg

cd1.jpg

cd2.jpg

Back