Build Log - Sovereign of the Seas - DeAgostini Customised

Unfortunately i have joined after completing some of the build, i completed the hull build using the kit materials (yes the horrible bamboo), I then discovered the Sovereign of the Seas 1637 book by John Mckay and misguidedly decided to make alterations to the kit, believing it to be more realistic. So I apologise for any inaccuracies. Ive attached the alterations I have done to date.

P1000777.JPGP1000775.JPGP1000791.JPG

Unfortunately i have joined after completing some of the build, i completed the hull build using the kit materials (yes the horrible bamboo), I then discovered the Sovereign of the Seas 1637 book by John Mckay and misguidedly decided to make alterations to the kit, believing it to be more realistic. So I apologise for any inaccuracies. Ive attached the alterations I have done to date.

View attachment 320409View attachment 320410View attachment 320411
You should not apologize for inaccuracies based on using kit designs or lack of information, G Kip. If you asked all the member here if they learned later that something on their model could have been improved upon or made accurate, we'd all raise our hands. Building these is such a long process of learning that never ends, and information sources have to constantly be vetted and analyzed if accuracy is what you're going for, and even then there are huge gaps and we are forced to make some major guesses sometimes. Just remember that here, all comments are meant to be be constructive.

Mckay's construction details had some problems, but the artwork and study of the decorations are fantastic.

Last edited:
Looking very good - many thanks for startiung this building log, also from this actual status
So we hope to see your further progress on a regular basis

Kurt is right absolutely no need to apologise - Nice that you are exploring adding details beyond a "just-out-of-the-box" project.
Also agreed if you have any questions so many very knowledgeable builders will be happy to advise.
I've received excellent advice for my current build. As well as a couple of PM's letting me know of mistakes - very thankful for those as well.
Constructive criticism is very valuable IMO -- Enjoy your current build - looking very promising so far. It's a hobby, not a job that needs to be done.

When you feel that times/work are not feeling peaceful - leave the project for a while and return when mental energies are positive - this has worked for me...
It also allows for several different thoughts on how proceed with "correct" results, and not having to go back and remove and fix errors.

Cheers,

It's a hobby, not a job that needs to be done.

When you feel that times/work are not feeling peaceful - leave the project for a while and return when mental energies are positive - this has worked for me...
It also allows for several different thoughts on how proceed with "correct" results, and not having to go back and remove and fix errors.

Cheers,
Thumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-UpThumbs-Up

View attachment 320409View attachment 320410View attachment 320411
Good morning. Great work and I look forward to seeing your build from here. Cheers Grant

Not Much in the way of model construction this week, having been inspired by some of the carvings, by members on this site, I decided to try and improve on the 3d printed items I have added to the model. Having no carving experience I purchased Amazons cheapest CNC machine ( yes I know its cheating), after spending over four hours on the image and converting it to 3d, I then spent several hours trying to figure out Autodesk Fusion 360 eventually grasping the basics, i then decided to try milling.
gporttestsml.jpgP1000809sml.jpg
First attempt i realised was too small by 2mm the guns wouldn't have fit through the hole.
Second attempt I made a mistake when setting the bit angle, as a result more material was removed than required. if at first you don't succeed, try try again.
carvingsml.jpgP1000813sml.jpg

Video log:

your trials in 3d millings show that there is just as much skill and artistic endeavors in that. as there is in caving by hand, its the result you get from each tool that is important. keep up the build.

Back