Swift 1805 Artesania latina

Thanks Dem, just so happens I already have three different pin vises and they did the trick. Now I’m at the point of shaping the masts. Any helpful tips, I watched the video but, wondering if I can do this with the tools I have.

Thanks Dem, just so happens I already have three different pin vises and they did the trick. Now I’m at the point of shaping the masts. Any helpful tips, I watched the video but, wondering if I can do this with the tools I have.

What i did allways was to attach the mast to a drill. The drill attached to the table. I always used a variable speed drill. To reduce/regulate the speed accordingly to the mast I was working on.

A piece of sand paper sorrounding the mast with my fingers. that I was moving along the mast. From time to time I stopped and measured the diameter.

Unless you are exigent with perfection, this produce very nice tapered masts. (Is tapered the correct way of referring to a reduction in the diameter ?. English isn't my maternal language)

This is same way I work my mast tapering.

I lay drill down on side on top of table. If needed a small support can be used near end to support long masts. I used empty pill bottle and moved in or out as needed while sanding. The support allowed for more down pressure.

I used medium grit to shape and fine grit to polish. Some steel wool also helps finish surface up nice and smooth

Thanks I’ll give that a try. I might also have access to a small lathe, not sure if it’s too big for my needs

Okay my masts don’t appear to be straight. Should be able to soak in water and heat them. Kind of like reverse plank bending. Gonna try it

Hi all, now I’m trying to learn how to tie knots. Tools, tricks, or suggestions would be great

trying to thread dead eyes .15mm I can do .5mm can’t find a needle. I have seen some information about beeswax and ca glue. Tried the glue with no luck. Can’t see wax being any better

Hi all looks like the instructions want me to thread the sail onto these brass rings. Looking through google it looks like threading them up the mast may be the best and easiest route.

Hi there. So those rings are mast hoops. If the model is built without sails, the hoops should rest down at the bottom of the mast all stacked on top of each other. If you plan to include sails you will need to attach the sail to each hoop individually. These mast hoops are what raise and lower the sail. When the sail is stowed, it is detached from the hoops.

Hope this helps.

Back