The Donald David, a Maine Lobster Boat, launched 1956

So, I am thinking about putting fiberglass (or some other material) on the planking; just as a precaution to minimize chances of water leaking into the hull over time.. Or, perhaps I could coat the interior of the planking with some kind of sealant. Any comments, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Modeling.
Steven
Good morning SAHaskell, these models that are more than 30 years old are treated externally with dual component epoxy and the interior with gauze and glue plus painted, they are sailing both, this is my experience.Frank

Senza-titolo-1.gif

muim2.gif

20201103_112003.jpg

So, we (wife, son & me) are preparing for a move from North Carolina back to Wisconsin where our daughters & their families live. I am looking for recommendations on packaging the hull of the Donald David to ensure it arrives safely. I have looked at a lot of cardboard boxes, to no avail; they are generally too long in one, or more directions. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Modeling,
Steven

I have decided to buy a larger prop for the Donald David. The prop that I bought several years ago is undersize for this model; it is 5/32" diameter and has been drilled & tapped for the 4mm thread on the prop shaft. My hope is to find a brass prop that is about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" diameter and will fit onto the 4mm shaft threads. The prop I have is threaded to give forward propulsion rotating when rotating counter-clockwise as viewed from behind the stern. I have looked at a few sources for props and got nowhere, so far.
All help is greatly appreciated.
Happy Modeling.
Steven

I have decided to buy a larger prop for the Donald David. The prop that I bought several years ago is undersize for this model; it is 5/32" diameter and has been drilled & tapped for the 4mm thread on the prop shaft. My hope is to find a brass prop that is about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" diameter and will fit onto the 4mm shaft threads. The prop I have is threaded to give forward propulsion rotating when rotating counter-clockwise as viewed from behind the stern. I have looked at a few sources for props and got nowhere, so far.
Happy Modeling.
Steven
I don't know much about right/left turning propellers, but maybe this link will give you start on your search for a new propeller.

Brass Propellers

Jan

Happy Modeling.
Steven
Hi SAHaskell, for YOUR problem I would recommend that you mount a variable pitch propeller, I'll post a description "A variable pitch propeller is a propeller whose blades can be rotated about its longitudinal axis so as to change its pitch.[1] When this operation also allows for negative pitch and thus backward motion, it is called a steerable blade propeller[2]." Frank https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Verstellpropeller_eines_Hurtigrutenschiffes.jpg

Thanks for the photo, Frank.
The propeller is fascinating, but I will have to do some measuring to see if I have enough space aft of the prop. I'll have to do some measuring.
Thank you for the photo, it helps a lot.
Happy Modeling.
Steven

Finally received my new propeller for the Donald David. I am delighted with the quality of the propeller; it is made very well and mounts nicely on the existing shaft I had for the propeller. Because of our impending move to Wisconsin, it will be a while before the boat hits the water.
Happy Modeling.
Steven

All of my lobster boat materials, and tools, are nicely boxed for the the trip to Wisconsin. In the meantime, I am looking for RC equipment for the boat; such as transmitter, receiver, motor speed controller, servo, running lights and battery pack. The boat hull is 25 1/2 inches, stem to stern, and about 10 or 11 inches wide about midship.
Any advice is appreciated.
Happy Modeling.
Steven

Thanks, Jan.
I appreciate your kind assistance.
Are you currently doing a build?
Yup, working on several as time permits. Kolderstok’s Willem Barentsz and Pavel’s San Bartolome. On the back shelf waiting and collecting dust are Kolderstok’s Duyfken and Model Expos Chaperon. I just finished repairing a RC SE5 for a friend. That was interesting. I recovered the wings and updated the electronics. When I get bored there is my large scale railroad to fiddle with. :D

Unfortunately I didn’t take any picture of the SE5 re-do. But this is a typical kit build.

2FFE0037-068E-488F-A90D-62750C9758F6.png
Jan

Last edited:
Back