• "Annual SOS Donation Drive Underway"
    Please consider making a Donation to SOS to support our growth and developement.
    https://www.paypal.me/DonateSOS
    Please check and read your email subject [Donations] from sosforums@shipsofscale.com for more details.

Build Log: The Donald David, a Maine Lobster Boat, launched 1956

SAHaskell

Saco, moved here after my Army tours (1960-1968). We spend a month each year in your neck of the woods, (Myrtle Beach, SC.)

I just finished Bluejackets Lobster boat. Only my second build. Still new at this hobby. Currently struggling with Constructos 1799 Enterprise.

Looking forward to your scratch build.
Do you have any photos of your lobster boat to show? I'd love to see some if it isn't difficult to do.
Thanks,
Steven:)

SAHaskell

Thanks for the photos. I have no photos of the boat I am modeling, but I have collected a lot of lobster boat photos from which I choose whatever details I want to apply to my scratch build. :)Thumbsup

SAHaskell

Well, I am mostly recovered now. Should find out from the doctor tomorrow just what was the cause of the stomach ailment. That may, or may not, result in some medication to ensure no relapse. Good news is that I'll be able to spend some time making sawdust. Can't expect too much, though, because my wife & I are going to Portland Oregon area for about a week of sightseeing. Our daughter, in Bonney Lake, WA will be driving to Portland with her 4-month o;d baby to spend a few days with us.
But none of that has anything to do with model boat building. To cover that base, I have a question about sourcing & sizing an electric motor to drive the propeller for my lobster boat build. I have the impression that it would be practical to use a motor with a 2:1 speed reducing gear for better efficiency since this is not a race boat. I am more interested in realistic speeds with good control and minimum over heating. Any recommendations for motors and/sources of info about motor options? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Steven
PS: Ideas for batteries and chargers would be very helpful as well. :)
Forgot to include Propeller info: 1 1/8" dia. with about 1.3"pitch. Drive shaft is 5/32" dia with #8-32 machine-screw thread on propeller end.

Last edited:

SAHaskell

Well, now we know what has been keeping me down; a large stone in my right kidney. Corrective action is planned, but scheduling is uncertain.
In the meantime, I have finished making a 5/64" wide chisel for cutting the rabbit on the keel of the Donald David. The planks are 5/64" thick, so I sized the chisel to fit. I don't expect to get a lot done soon, but I'm still at it.

5-64in Chisel_SAH_3642.jpg