The Donald David, a Maine Lobster Boat, launched 1956

Build Log: The Donald David, a 1956 Maine Lobster Boat
May 27, 2019
Greetings from Steven Haskell.
I am finally starting my build log for a scratch-build of a Maine lobster boat. I’m modeling the Donald David, of Steuben, ME, circa 1956. Donald David (the third of three lobster boats) built by William West when I was 10 years old (I am now 73). It was somewhat innovative in that the frames are steam bent white oak, while most lobster boats at that time were still using built-up frames.
I thought i was being smart by typing several pages of script that I would paste into the thread, but it didn't work as I expected, so I have "attached" the document separately.

I hope this is acceptable.
Have a great day!

Attachments

• ' 2019_Build Log for the Donald David, a Maine Lobster Boat.docx
    840.2 KB · Views: 99
Thanks. Where are you in Maine?
I grew up in Gardiner, but haven't "lived" in Maine since I went into the Navy in 1964 (for 6 years). I now live in North Carolina, just south of Chapel Hill.

Saco, moved here after my Army tours (1960-1968). We spend a month each year in your neck of the woods, (Myrtle Beach, SC.)

I just finished Bluejackets Lobster boat. Only my second build. Still new at this hobby. Currently struggling with Constructos 1799 Enterprise.

Looking forward to your scratch build.

in the following I copied the content from the attachment of first post

Build Log: The Donald David, a 1956 Maine Lobster Boat

May 27, 2019

Greetings from Steven Haskell.

I am finally starting my build log for a scratch-build of a Maine lobster boat. I’m modeling the Donald David, of Steuben, ME, circa 1956. Donald David (the third of three lobster boats) built by William West when I was 10 years old (I am now 73). It was somewhat innovative in that the frames are steam bent white oak, while most lobster boats at that time were still using built-up frames.

This is me, between William & his grandson, holding the half-hull model he used for all three of the boats he built. He gave me the half-hull about 25 years ago. I have measured, re-measured & measured again create 10 molds for my model. The Half-hull is 34 inches long and is 1” = 1’ for the Donald David, a 34 foot long boat; bigger & faster than his previous builds. My model will be at 1/16” = 1’, so the model will be 25.5” long.

I purchased a book, “Boatbuilding Down East,” sub-titled “How to Build a Wooden Boat,” by Royal Lowell, from Topsham, ME. The book is a tremendous treasure trove of boat building info covering everything from stem to stern. It includes several drawings of boats he has made, with some lines drawings.

I also bought a two-page blueprint, #17, from the Maine Maritime Museum. This plan is for a 34 foot lobster boat built in 1964.

Since a half-hull model and my memory are all the info I have about the Donald David, I need all the help I can get.

The following mold drawings are greatly reduced to conserve space, but I can provide full size copies.

(Remark Uwe: I could not copy these drawings into the post - so please take a look at the attachment from Steven in original post)

I have all the molds cut in 1/8” plywood, waiting for me to re-make the keel so I can attach the molds. Here is my 1st attempt at the keel. which turned out to have not enough height for the model. I’ll be more careful next go around.

Here it the propeller Shaft that I made from brass tubing and threaded rod.

I will have radio control, with an electric motor and a servo for the rudder. Somehow I will incorporate LEDs for running lights. Still looking for a reasonable housing for the Port/Starboard lights.

I’ve got a long way to go, but I am excited about finally cutting & assembling some wood.

I have made a little progress on the keel replacement, cut & glued white oak strips and sanded them to 3/8" thick. Then I cut away a few shorter pieces with angled sides (11 degrees & 22 degrees) so I could cut tongue & groove joints on the angled edges to create a turn in the stock that will become the stem. Here are a few photos that should clarify. I am now working on transferring the keel/stem pattern to the assembly.
While I was at the saw I got the urge to cut the cedar stock for planking. That went very well, using my table saw with a jig I made several years ago. I cut 50 strips, which is considerably more than I need (I hate to run out during assembly). I used a 7" saw blade from my portable, circular saw; it is only 1/16" thick and cuts very smooth! It is labeled as a "Planer Blade" for the portable circular saw.
More to follow as I progress. I'm trying to keep moving on this project, but I sometimes re-discover that retirement keeps me busier than I ever was while working!
Happy sailing.
Steven

IMG_20190601_115109EC.jpgIMG_20190601_115627EC.jpgIMG_20190530_135300EC.jpgIMG_20190530_135433EC.jpgIMG_20190530_135453.jpgIMG_20190530_145627EC.jpg

FINALLY, I have the shaft tube glued into the two parts of the keel. Still have to finish shaping the keel. Just for fun I placed Molds 2, 3 & 4 onto the keel an took a picture. The molds are only temporary and will be removed after the frames & planking are done. I apologize for my slow progress. Keep in mind that it took me many years to get to the point of cutting some wood.
Good day. all.
Steven

Keel & Molds 2, 3 & 4_3288.JPGKeel, shaft-tube installed_3281.JPG

I am actually making progress , finishing up trim & sanding of the keel so I can move on to installing the temporary bulkheads. It's a slow process squeezing in a boat model in between all the household chores, but I am keeping my shoulder top the wheel! I hope to add a few photos within the coming week.

Back