US Brig Syren MS: # 2260 by NovaStorm

@NovaStorm @Pathfinder65 Dear Robin / Jan. On so many of the builds, including my own, the subject matter is that of large ships which has such a plethora of detail and decorations that one just doesn't know where to look. This build SEEMS less ornate, "simpler" and less cluttered. But what it does is to force you to look REALLY closely at the details that there are and focus on every one little thing. And when the execution of that is done as well as it is here, the effect is just brilliant. That is why I am keeping a close watch on Maris Stella's development of the HMS Speedy as I believe it may possibly be the same kind of thing. Having said that the US Brig MS Syren is really growing on me!

@NovaStorm @Pathfinder65
Having said that the US Brig MS Syren is really growing on me!
I can't imagine what it takes to assemble some of the large ornate ships I see. If I had the space I would definately like to have one on the go and switch back and forth between it and a smaller less complicated build. There is a definite wow factor with the larger ornate ships, but I know what you mean also when it comes to something less complicated that the eye can take in more as a whole. I was a little worried that given my experience to date I might be getting in over my head with the Syren. Hopefully tho by taking my time and approaching each little aspect as a mini project on it's own I will be able to pull it off to completion. We will see ;) I appreciate that you and others are enjoying watching my progress. Especially as I am a newbie and learning as I go so it is like a bit of conformation that I am on, or not on the right track. Thanks again for all your kind words of encouragement and likes. Cheers ~

So last evening I got into blackening the carronades and one cannon I have done up for the port side. I was pretty nervous given the time spent on them and the sleds. So it was going to be a bit of a do or die moment. Well the results came out fantastic I think. Took a little trial an error to get the results I wanted and I hope you like them as well.
I started out soaking the pieces in a solution of Sparex #2 in a warming pot for about an hour and a half to clean them. Then they were dried and placed into a container of (straight) Casey's brass black for ruffly 3/4 of an hour. I would then remove them from the caseys and rub them down with a paper towel which cleaned off the excess and produced results that were not where I wanted them. This was fine as I then placed them back in the casey's again for about 1/2 to 3/4 an hour and then removed them a second time and again rub off and polished them with a paper towel to get the final result. Here are some pics of the outcome.

IMG_3883a.jpgIMG_3885a.jpgIMG_3888a.jpgIMG_3889a.jpgIMG_3891a.jpg

Yes I agree it is a needed detail they don't look right without them. I haven't detailed the carriages at all yet so will have to see what I can't come up with ;) Thanks for the tip.

The wheels on your carriages need nails or pin to keep them from falling off axles.
Been a busy couple of weeks with work but I managed to pick away at a few things on the ship. Including cleaning it up a little, adding lug nuts to the wheels of the cannon ;) Installed the davits I made out of pear on the stern transom. They got cut into the rail. Did a mock up of the transom gun port covers. Made the pump which was a lot of fun figuring it all out. A few picks. Hope you are all well and staying outta trouble :)

IMG_3953a.jpgIMG_4005a.jpgIMG_4011a.jpgIMG_4023a.jpgIMG_4039a.jpgIMG_4048a.jpgIMG_4049a.jpgIMG_4065a.jpgIMG_4078a.jpg

Hello Robin, Sorry I misted the start of your build log but we had a rather hard time last year and I spent very little time looking over the SOS Form. Will catch up on your Brig Syren a bit later on. Your cannons turned out very nice, also your pumps. Just love all of that detail that you are starting to add to your build.
Regards Lawrence

Been working on the companionway, also added the other pin rail at the bow. Couldn't take the stark white grating any longer and stained it with several soaks in a gun stock stain. It's not the best but ...

Take a look, a few picks, haven't added the doors onto the companionway yet just the hatch.
IMG_4137a.jpgIMG_4138a.jpgIMG_4182a.jpgIMG_4202a.jpgIMG_4222a.jpgIMG_4233a.jpgIMG_4236a.jpg

I have a question and that is in this picture that I took from your build log, this tool that you are holding is it for measuring or for cutting?
Regards Lawrence
Hi Lawrence, It was a compass my mother used years ago when she was a graphic artist. But with it you could remove the lead holder on one arm and screw in a second pin like in the pic above. I then used it not only as a marker but to cut into the wood enough to have a recess to except the fine tooth kerf saw used to do the cut offs at both ends. It worked really well as it is a very sturdy tool. Thanks for the nice comment bud. I think I tend to jump around in my building habits rather than follow the instructions to the letter. I should be finishing off the carronades for the Starboard side (I've got the sleds painted and drilled) but I got determined to change out the coamings from walnut to pear ... This aft I got the main and fore masts notched and set up. Nothing is glued in yet so I can remove it all and continue with any of it anytime I like lol. Cheers hope your having a great day :)

IMG_4242a.jpgIMG_4255a.jpg

I hope notching and setting the masts this way won't be a problem when rigging. The only other ship I have done was a schooner and there was no need to twist the mast for better rigging access. Anyway will find out when the time comes. Regards, Robin ~

Well slowly working away on lots of little details when I got stuck in a possible covid exposure putting me into isolation. Went to buy a dremel at the local hardware and two of the employees on that day tested positive.
So now I have to stay the blazes home and hope for the best.
Few picks of what I have been working on.

IMG_4265a.jpgIMG_4277a.jpgIMG_4358a.jpgIMG_4363a.jpgIMG_4314a.jpgIMG_4365a.jpg

Cheers all, stay safe :)

Looks like you have proper supplies to be holed up a few days!
Very nice work Robin, fatastic detailing.
Hope you were not exposed to covid, keep up the good work inthe coming two weeks.
Thanks guys, I have my fingers crossed and only 3 more days to isolate. Because of my job I have been extra careful and would you believe that was the first store I've been in since the start of all this, go figure.
Anyway I feel fine so should hopefully all be good. Cheers have a great day! ~

Back