Rattlesnake by MS

I think the copper gives it a more real look. I did the constitution and the constellation with copper hull. For some reason I’m having more trouble understanding the MS instructions. I’m having to use experience from other ships on what to do. Would love to see your rigging plans. Just looking at the plan leaves a lot to imitation. I’d hate to rig up a single block only to find out later I needed a double. The other kits took a more step by step and showed the blocks b

I don't think the instructions are from MS....because they suck, for lack of a better word. I ended up using detailed plans from my Chuck Passaro Syren build to guide me and using the Rattlesnake plans for precise dimensions, etc. I also purchased but never used a very detailed step-by-step practicum specifically for Rattlesnake by Lauck Street Shipyard. It's a good guide but I found to my surprise that using the detailed rigging guide from Chuck Passaro's sheets (provided with the Syren kit from MS) and the knowledge I already had I was able to rig up Rattlesnake accurately.

I’m also looking to rebuild the metal parts out of wood.

I did that for some items and stuck with the white metal for other items. Just ended up what I felt like doing and what looked perfectly fine as is. The ladders are one example of what I ended up doing over with a wood mini kit.

Rigging is my major hold up. I wish MS showed the rigging in layers so I could follow the lines. Model does not show which belay pin to go to.

Working on the boom, gaff, and spanker sail. Last pic is of the mast hoops for the spanker. Just 20 gauge wire fashioned in a circle but I haven't figured out just yet how to secure them to the sail. This forum has lots of good leads though. The ties I added to the pre-sewn sails....the thread I used is exactly the same hue as the sail itself and I can barely make them out. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Should they be diminutive or stand out just a bit with a slightly different color thread? I'm still mulling that over.

View attachment 188626View attachment 188627View attachment 188628
Where were you able to get pre sewn sails at for the model shipways kits I have 2 of their kits and they didnt come with sails.

I use like thread to tie the hoops on the mast to the sail spaced out. I use a chain stitch to tie the sail to the boom. One continuous thread

I was about to put the finishing touches on Rattlesnake when I noticed something odd. All surfaces with black paint were hazy. So I lifted off the acrylic case and was hit with a distinct musty odor. Definite mold has settled in. The question I have is are there ways to remove the mold delicately without having to repaint all the black? It would be impossible to get to all the black areas with all the rigging in place. I tried brushing away with a paintbrush with very limited luck. I'd rather not paint on standard household chemicals as I don't want to damage the paint. Any help would be very welcome. Help!!

mold.jpg

I was about to put the finishing touches on Rattlesnake when I noticed something odd. All surfaces with black paint were hazy. So I lifted off the acrylic case and was hit with a distinct musty odor. Definite mold has settled in. The question I have is are there ways to remove the mold delicately without having to repaint all the black? It would be impossible to get to all the black areas with all the rigging in place. I tried brushing away with a paintbrush with very limited luck. I'd rather not paint on standard household chemicals as I don't want to damage the paint. Any help would be very welcome. Help!!

View attachment 314104

Hummm probably that mold is on all the ship. Have you tried to use a weat cloth and weat cotton tips to softly clean the mold ?

I have my workshop in my basement. Very humid at this time of the year down there. From June till November I have 2 dehumidifiers working. Now I empty them once a day. During july-September, twice a day. One is 50 pints and the other 25 pints. That gives you an idea of the incredible amount of water I dump out of my basement every day.

Sorry, but I do not have any other idea. That is what I will be doing on my ship.

Daniel

Hummm probably that mold is on all the ship. Have you tried to use a weat cloth and weat cotton tips to softly clean the mold ?

I have my workshop in my basement. Very humid at this time of the year down there. From June till November I have 2 dehumidifiers working. Now I empty them once a day. During july-September, twice a day. One is 50 pints and the other 25 pints. That gives you an idea of the incredible amount of water I dump out of my basement every day.

Sorry, but I do not have any other idea. That is what I will be doing on my ship.

Daniel

My air conditioner pulls in two 10-gallon Home Depot buckets of water out of the air every day. Quite humid.

The simple method you mentioned, wet cotton swabs, worked amazingly well. Rattlesnake is ship-shape again. I ordered desiccants which I imagine I'll have to continue in perpetuity, perhaps $5-$10 worth per month unless I can find another way to keep the moisture out of the case. Or I'll have to find another home for her.

Anchors finally mounted. Final pics to come, but this build is officially done!

My air conditioner pulls in two 10-gallon Home Depot buckets of water out of the air every day. Quite humid.

The simple method you mentioned, wet cotton swabs, worked amazingly well. Rattlesnake is ship-shape again. I ordered desiccants which I imagine I'll have to continue in perpetuity, perhaps $5-$10 worth per month unless I can find another way to keep the moisture out of the case. Or I'll have to find another home for her.

Happy to hear that !!!

Let the wood dry well in a ventilated area before placing it again in the case..

the desiccants you ordered are those salts that we get in small bags on many things we buy ?

If you ordered them online, can you post the link ?

Have an excellent weekend !!!
Daniel

Happy to hear that !!!

Let the wood dry well in a ventilated area before placing it again in the case..

the desiccants you ordered are those salts that we get in small bags on many things we buy ?

If you ordered them online, can you post the link ?

Have an excellent weekend !!!
Daniel

I ordered from Amazon. Actually many many choices so I basically closed my eyes and threw a dart. But here's the link to what I ordered:

So glad it worked out for you! After all that work it would have been a shame to see her marred.

Back