Rattlesnake by MS

Second coat of black aft and on the trim pieces along the rail. 2nd gun port (counting from the bow) covers installed.

View attachment 130851View attachment 130852View attachment 130853View attachment 130854
Fantastic detail work on the gunport's. Hope you don't mind if I copy it.
Poop deck planking complete. The trim piece on the front is 2mm square stock with the top edge rounded off and stained with Minwax golden oak.

View attachment 131962
Really nice fit on the planking. No waterway needed!

Fantastic detail work on the gunport's. Hope you don't mind if I copy it.

Really nice fit on the planking. No waterway needed!

Hey thanks a bunch. I'm really of two minds with the waterway. I did find a waterway in the instruction manual but It'll hide the nibbing if I install it. I have some real small stock that I've already painted red, I'll decide later whether to install it or not.

Last edited:
Worked on the companionway and the ladder today as well as the capstan. The companionway is all from scratch and I thought it could use a hatch cover too, no way it would just be open to the elements with no way to close it. The hatch cover is not on the plans but I like how it came out so I'm keeping it.

The main element of the capstan is from a mini kit but I added the whelps.

The last pic is the first kevel, combination sheave and belaying pin.ZDXFgchj.jpgjlihyftdg.jpgwertgfh.jpgWRETYG.jpgW3ER4TY.jpgSERTDH.jpgfghj.jpgftyhgf.jpgredtgfhj.jpgzrdtfhgj.jpg

Having just acquired the Rattlesnake myself I have been pouring over any and all build logs of this great little ship trying to get as many ideas as possible before I commence the building of mine. Still have to finish the Pinnace Virginia before I start, but it doesn't hurt to do the research.:)

Worked on the companionway and the ladder today as well as the capstan. The companionway is all from scratch and I thought it could use a hatch cover too, no way it would just be open to the elements with no way to close it. The hatch cover is not on the plans but I like how it came out so I'm keeping it.

The main element of the capstan is from a mini kit but I added the whelps.

The last pic is the first kevel, combination sheave and belaying pin.View attachment 132052View attachment 132053View attachment 132054View attachment 132055View attachment 132056View attachment 132057View attachment 132058View attachment 132059View attachment 132060View attachment 132061
The hatch makes sense don know why I didnt think of that I have the ladder going down then put stanchons at the corners , just may have to go back and follow your lead

Having just acquired the Rattlesnake myself I have been pouring over any and all build logs of this great little ship trying to get as many ideas as possible before I commence the building of mine. Still have to finish the Pinnace Virginia before I start, but it doesn't hurt to do the research.:)

Welcome to the Rattlesnake club Jim J!

The hatch makes sense don know why I didnt think of that I have the ladder going down then put stanchons at the corners , just may have to go back and follow your lead

Any method is the right method dude. I confess I waffled between what I ended up doing and what you did with stanchions. I'm truly 50/50.

Worked on all the cleats and eyebolts and kevels today for the poop. Oh, and I decided to go ahead and install a waterway after all. It's about half the diameter of the waterway on the main gun deck.

For the poop I plan on installing two pin racks on both sides between the two forward most kevels. It's not on the plans but given the number of lines that'll be coming down there just ain't enough belaying points.

20200207_205948.jpg

Last edited:
TKAM a word of warning, I started the lifeboat and found out that wood they used dont like wood glue, dont know what it is I can soak it in water forever but if you put wood glue on it, it curls up. and actually not real happy with the kit

TKAM a word of warning, I started the lifeboat and found out that wood they used dont like wood glue, dont know what it is I can soak it in water forever but if you put wood glue on it, it curls up. and actually not real happy with the kit

OK good tip, thanks for leading the way on this. I typically use CA for just about anything, I love the stuff. Just wondering if ten or twenty years from now the whole ship will just spontaneously fall apart in pieces. I hope not.

I've added some pin racks on the poop. OK so I don't have to put belaying pins in every available opening but I sure won't be short belaying points. I'll do the same for the main deck, the forecastle will be fine as is I think.

l;kjhgfh.jpg

Last edited:
Back