Rattlesnake by MS

I bought a mess of blocks from Chuck Passaro and some trial blocks from China. About the same price, Passaro's are boxwood and excellent quality, I'm using them on my Syren. The Chinese blocks are also real good quality and are made of walnut. They do look a bit different so I'm gonna have to decide which to go with for Rattlesnake....but it certainly ain't gonna be the blocks supplied by the kit.
Never tried Chucks blocks but looking at the prices they are not alot of difference in prices just havent checked shipping. How does boxwood compare to walnut?

Dont know if you figured it out yet or have heard, but for some reason I can not figure out the elevation of the belay pin rails on the gun deck, also are you going to do the full gangplanks (portable ones)

Dont know if you figured it out yet or have heard, but for some reason I can not figure out the elevation of the belay pin rails on the gun deck, also are you going to do the full gangplanks (portable ones)

I most likely will not include the gangplanks, they cover up too much of the cannons. I'm putting the railing elevation based on the plans. I'll just measure and transfer.

Never tried Chucks blocks but looking at the prices they are not alot of difference in prices just havent checked shipping. How does boxwood compare to walnut?

Very nice detail. The hardwood blocks are already a nice color, the boxwood blocks really need to be stained first. Other than that they're both really nice.

Chuck used to sell swiss pear blocks. If you darkened those with a soak in some boiled linseed oil they look about perfect. Too bad they are no longer available.

Chuck used to sell swiss pear blocks. If you darkened those with a soak in some boiled linseed oil they look about perfect. Too bad they are no longer available.
About a month ago MS had a sale of Falkonet blocks heard good things about them so I bought some (MS didnt include enough singles) I liked the fact they were walnut and nice and smooth

I bought a mess of blocks from Chuck Passaro and some trial blocks from China. About the same price, Passaro's are boxwood and excellent quality, I'm using them on my Syren. The Chinese blocks are also real good quality and are made of walnut. They do look a bit different so I'm gonna have to decide which to go with for Rattlesnake....but it certainly ain't gonna be the blocks supplied by the kit.

Where do you get these Chinese blocks from? I'm curious. You can never have enough blocks! ;)

Hello TKAM, not trying to hijack your thread just hoping to pass on some things I have ran into building mine. Last April (2018) I fractured my back in 2 places at work so after sitting around for almost 6 months I started my Rattlesnake I searched all over for info and while reading threads from other sites I have also found different roadblocks pewter buckets junk, short of blocks, jackstay eyebolts (10 per cannon) so if I can be of help please feel free to shout out and I will try to help.

Last edited:
Hello TKAM, not trying to hijack your thread just hoping to pass on some things I have ran into building mine. Last April (2018) I fractured my back in 2 places at work so after sitting around for almost 6 months I started my Rattlesnake I searched all over for info and while reading threads from other sites I have also found different roadblocks pewter buckets junk, short of blocks, jackstay eyebolts (10 per cannon) so if I can be of help please feel free to shout out and I will try to help.

I've probably spent an additional hundred dollars on additional fixtures:

Wooden buckets
Port cover hinges
Elm pumps
Copper hull plating tape
Custom blocks
Premium rigging line
Eyebolts
Hooks for rigging
Additional cannon
Laser cut cannon carriage kits

With respect to blocks, I upgraded last time using Chuck Passaro's and found them to be great. For my upcoming build, I thought I'd try something different and bought them from Chris Watton at Vanguard. I believe these are from Master Korabel. I haven't got to the rigging stage yet, but experimented seizing a couple of them in different sizes and they are really nice to use. They have deep grooves at the corners and hold the line extremely well.

Both Chuck and Chris are great to deal with. In both cases I received the orders quickly.

David

With respect to blocks, I upgraded last time using Chuck Passaro's and found them to be great. For my upcoming build, I thought I'd try something different and bought them from Chris Watton at Vanguard. I believe these are from Master Korabel. I haven't got to the rigging stage yet, but experimented seizing a couple of them in different sizes and they are really nice to use. They have deep grooves at the corners and hold the line extremely well.

Both Chuck and Chris are great to deal with. In both cases I received the orders quickly.

David

That's a plus for the Chris Watton blocks. I've had to take a #11 blade to the occasional Passaro block to deepen the groove and/or a drop of CA glue to keep the seizing from slipping off.

I found this Ship's Launch kit on the Model Shipyard website. It comes in kit form and the quality and shape appears to be far superior to what was provided in Rattlesnake's box. All the instructions are in Russian but I think I can figure it out.

The length is almost exactly what the kit provided and it's far more detailed. I think I might go this way from now on with future projects too. MS has many of this type of kit in various sizes. This one was only $14.

View attachment 106720View attachment 106721
I followed your lead and ordered the longboat for my snake

I bought two rolls of this tape from a Chinese vendor. The price was about $11 per roll with about 500 individual pieces (once cut) per roll. The quality is good but definitely the rivit impression pattern and size of each piece is way more consistent than I've been able to produce for past models. Overall I'm happy with the product. About 2 hours to cut apart one roll.

20191107_193215.jpg

I did try tape for copper hull did not like the experience so will follow you carefully

Back