Build of the Revell cargo liner "Da Noli"

I saw this kit on ebay last year while searching for the Revell "Hawaiian Pilot. It was a late 20th century tramp steamer/cargo liner. Da Noli was it's last name before it ran aground and eventually broke up. The scale is listed as 1:480 and is about the same size as the Hawaiian Pilot. The only headache building the model created was the fact that the forward face of the superstructure was split in half and is part of the sides of the superstructure. All of the other windows or ports as sailors call them are represented as openings in the superstructure but the front windows are just represented as framed outlines that are to be painted black. But the seam along the joint is very rough looking and requires liberal sanding and that removes the framework of the forward facing ports, I considered several solutions including making a new forward superstructure from a thin sheet of styrene and using 1/16" wide chartpack tape cut to the proper lengths and then attaching the windows to the sheet styrene. Due to my experience with autocad I ended up drawing the face of the superstructure along with the various ports copied from the box art. I then printed that drawing on white typing paper, sealed it with clear packing tape, cut it out and glued it to the kit parts. Not a perfect solution but it works pretty good. I have a 3D printer on order and I may repeat the process using it and making a new front superstructure with the window openings. The remainder of the build was pretty straight forward. I messed up by not installing the passenger access doors before assembling the model and while attaching one of the doors it fell into the interior of the shio. All I have left to do is attach the rigging to the cargo booms and other misc. rigging.Boxtop.jpgIn progress001.jpgIn progress006.jpgIn progress007.jpgnew superstructure001.jpgoriginal kit front superstructure.jpg

I saw this kit on ebay last year while searching for the Revell "Hawaiian Pilot. It was a late 20th century tramp steamer/cargo liner. Da Noli was it's last name before it ran aground and eventually broke up. The scale is listed as 1:480 and is about the same size as the Hawaiian Pilot. The only headache building the model created was the fact that the forward face of the superstructure was split in half and is part of the sides of the superstructure. All of the other windows or ports as sailors call them are represented as openings in the superstructure but the front windows are just represented as framed outlines that are to be painted black. But the seam along the joint is very rough looking and requires liberal sanding and that removes the framework of the forward facing ports, I considered several solutions including making a new forward superstructure from a thin sheet of styrene and using 1/16" wide chartpack tape cut to the proper lengths and then attaching the windows to the sheet styrene. Due to my experience with autocad I ended up drawing the face of the superstructure along with the various ports copied from the box art. I then printed that drawing on white typing paper, sealed it with clear packing tape, cut it out and glued it to the kit parts. Not a perfect solution but it works pretty good. I have a 3D printer on order and I may repeat the process using it and making a new front superstructure with the window openings. The remainder of the build was pretty straight forward. I messed up by not installing the passenger access doors before assembling the model and while attaching one of the doors it fell into the interior of the shio. All I have left to do is attach the rigging to the cargo booms and other misc. rigging.View attachment 164932View attachment 164933View attachment 164934View attachment 164935View attachment 164936View attachment 164937
very beautiful job Thumbsup :)

Back