Builder’s half hull model question

I am thinking about building a replica of a mid-1800’s builder’s half hull ship model. The hull would be made from lifts and would be based on a set of plans I have. As many of you might know, around that time, builder’s half hull models were held together with square or rectangular wooden pegs. These could be locked in place using wedges to hold the lifts together, but could also be removed to allow the lifts to be separated from one another. Measurements taken from the lifts would be scaled up for construction of the full-size vessel. I have obtained a number of photos of such models from the internet and have seen some in person in museums and marine antique shops, but would like to have more information about how these models were fashioned before beginning the project. I want to rely on something other than my intuition. If anyone has information of references about this type of model, especially one(s) with diagrams or ones that show such a model disassembled, I would appreciate knowing about them. Most books or articles I have found about building “bread and butter” half hull models simply show how to cut the blanks for the lifts, glue them together, and carve the hull to shape. I haven’t seen any detailed descriptions of how builder’s models with separable lifts were actually constructed. Thanks in advance for whatever help and suggestions this group can provide.

James
Maine

Thanks for your response, Uwek. I have seen that thread, but it is a plank-on-frame approach to a half-hull model. I hope to build a “bread-and-butter” half-hull model, with separable lifts like those of the early builder’s models. In my mind, these early models, used to draft plans for full-sized ships, were the 19th century equivalent of our modern computer-assisted design process, in that they provided a detailed three-dimensional array of points describing the shape of a hull, information that could be used in building the real thing.

James

Thanks for your response, Uwek. I have seen that thread, but it is a plank-on-frame approach to a half-hull model. I hope to build a “bread-and-butter” half-hull model, with separable lifts like those of the early builder’s models. In my mind, these early models, used to draft plans for full-sized ships, were the 19th century equivalent of our modern computer-assisted design process, in that they provided a detailed three-dimensional array of points describing the shape of a hull, information that could be used in building the real thing.

James
Ok - something like this made by @lesterpalifka ?

That is certainly a beautiful half-hull model of the Morgan. My model would look very much like that but would be able to be disassembled. I’m assuming that the lifts used for the Morgan model were glued together. Thanks for your interest in my question, Uwek, I appreciate your efforts.

james

That is certainly a beautiful half-hull model of the Morgan. My model would look very much like that but would be able to be disassembled. I’m assuming that the lifts used for the Morgan model were glued together. Thanks for your interest in my question, Uwek, I appreciate your efforts.

james
Maybe you have an example, showing us this way you are looking for?

Attached are two diagrams I downloaded from the internet (I can’t remember from where so I can’t give proper credit) showing the type of half hull model I want to build. The images portray almost everything I need to know, but I was hoping to get practical advice from someone who has actually built one.

james

37754D6C-2070-413F-A6AA-C0B5B18A9A01.jpeg04C407E6-11CC-4D16-B429-5BF35C044277.jpeg

i built a lot of 1/2 hulls but not out of wood i use high density foam board. so i do not think my methods would help you in building out of wood.

i need to look through my library i think i saw the use and building of 1/2 hulls in a book on schooner design. i got to go to work now so later i will check it out

Attached are two diagrams I downloaded from the internet (I can’t remember from where so I can’t give proper credit) showing the type of half hull model I want to build. The images portray almost everything I need to know, but I was hoping to get practical advice from someone who has actually built one.

james
OK Understood - I think that the shown method with the two pins is the normal method to make a half model our of full wood slabs

f274t7400p164285n2_LcJBFACV.jpg

f274t7400p164285n3_VJcArKzt.jpg

f274t7400p164285n4_LCxcbTRM.jpg

f274t7400p164324n2_gKresWto.jpg

photos borrowed bfrom wolfi from the german forum:

an here another one from wolfi

Uwe,

Ich habe mich bei segelschiffsmodellbau.com registriert. Vielen Dank, dass Sie mich über diese Site informiert haben.

james
Hallo James,

it would be very interesting to see your work on such a half model here in a building log - so please do not forget us....

I am having a little trouble getting boards planed to the correct thickness for the lifts. One small local woodworking company promised the boards but had to reneg after stalling for a couple weeks because their planer broke down. I have not yet heard from other local cabinet makers and sawmills I have contacted, because of the upcoming holiday, I suppose. The waterline plans and station profiles for the model are all ready to go, I just need the wood! Once I get started, I will keep the group updated.

james

I have rescaled the plans so that there are half as many lifts but each one is 3/4”, the thickness of commercially available select white pine. No more planing necessary. Time to get started.
Hope to see your work on the half hull model in a building log
Would be very interesting to see and follow

Back