Building Alfred,1778

Hi every one. I have a shereline mill which made this a lot more easier but any small mill will do. I made them in three parts. If your building a bigger rate such as the Victory she had beams made of four parts. Here is photos of how I made these for the upper deck. Most of the ones on the main gun deck is simulated scarfs but the ones on the upper deck are made of three parts. You can see this in the fourth photo, the parts for a three part beam. The seam is rubbed with a pencil to make the joint stand out. Of course I can't take all the credit. A good friend help me figure out some of the math. some of you probably have his books, The Naiad Frigate by Edward J. Tosti. Do believe the info is in Vol 2. They do add a lot don't they. I also added a photo showing the upper deck at the bow along with the three part beams and some other item such as the framing for the beak head bulkhead. Gary

625.JPG633.JPG637.JPG650.JPG648.JPG626.JPGDSC_0947.JPG

Uwek

Administrative
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

Very good method - many thanks for showing
Interesting your additional table on the Mill for tilting .... very good way, if your mill can not be adjusted in the angle.....

Hi Gary,
I have reverend Romero's full practicum of Warrior the sister ship to Alfred, along with 17 sheets of plans.
Its on my list to build one day. Great work.
Hi Brian. I have those same plans, and books, but at the moment not sure where they are out, the plans that is. I keep most of my plans on a rack next to the ceiling, which keeps them safe and out of the way. I add a photo showing this against the ceiling for you, which might give you a ideal to help store your plans some place. Most of the time I just used the plans of Alfred that I got from the NMM. I do know that Hahn had his on style which is what was probably the biggest help I got in my years of building them. I even wrote to him when I had question. Don't believe we had a computer at that time, and snail mail was the way to go. The internet has really brought us together and has made us a close community that has no distant between us. I for one am happy we have it. Those plans are they in 1/8 or 1/4 scale? If you want to make the warrior bigger just have the plans enlarged for your self. Am not worth a hoot on building them smaller then 1/4 scale. I built the Hancock in that scale and, and lets just say she never got finish. I do keep her because it shows me how much I have grown in studies of them. Gary

DSC_0017.JPG

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Sponsor

I do know that Hahn had his own style which is what was probably the biggest help I got in my years of building them. I even wrote to him when I had question. Don't believe we had a computer at that time, and snail mail was the way to go.
Gary

actually when i went through Harold's library i came across those letters from Gary. Harold kept every letter even sent to him and there were thousands from all over the world.

DSCN5024.JPGDSCN5032.JPG

Staff member
Sponsor

in post #23 the photo there is a little box off to the left with a XYZ is that a CNC mill?

i know your are thinking of getting a CNC carving machine

Staff member
Sponsor

did you check out mikes new laser cutter

Staff member
Sponsor

looking at your book shelf there are boxes on the bottom seems like you build more than just ships.

so do you still have all the models you built? can we see some?

Well I be Dave. Didn't know you saw my letters. Brings back a lot of memories. I still have the letters he sent me. When I was building the confederacy I sent him a letter some time in Feb 1987 and got one back from him in March 7,1987. wow that has been awhile. Believe I have a few more from him. Would you believe that I have some prints that Harold made, that you sent me. He was a great Teacher and do believe if it wasn't for him a lot of us would not be in this hobby. Gary

Well I do build plastic models and have a few in my den. I have more as you can see in the photo,s and don't believe I will get them all built. I upload a couple one being the space shuttle and the other a race car which show's some of the extra detail that I added to it. Mom thinks am a little silly with all the models and gone over board in buying them. But am sure you heard of having a stash. Some would call it hording. :eek:). I just call it fun. I see if I can find a couple of photo's of the Den where I do my plastic building. Gary

DSC_0018.JPGDSC_0019.JPGDSC_0020.JPG20180331_132343.jpg20180928_212505.jpg20180928_212513.jpg

Staff member
Sponsor

He was a great Teacher and do believe if it wasn't for him a lot of us would not be in this hobby. Gary

he was the master and we the students he inspired a whole generation of builders.

Yes he was and greatly missed. Here is some photos of the Den where most of my plastic models are built. A really nice place to hang out and build them.Of course the misses thinks it a cave. Some of us call it a man cave. lol

DSC_0033.JPGDSC_0034.JPGDSC_0036.JPGDSC_0038.JPGDSC_0040.JPGDSC_0049.JPGDSC_0050.JPGDSC_0052.JPGDSC_0045.JPGDSC_0033.JPGDSC_0034.JPGDSC_0036.JPGDSC_0038.JPGDSC_0040.JPGDSC_0049.JPGDSC_0050.JPGDSC_0052.JPGDSC_0045.JPG

Last edited:

in post #23 the photo there is a little box off to the left with a XYZ is that a CNC mill?

i know your are thinking of getting a CNC carving machine
Hi Dave. No sir its not a cnc. . What it is, is a DRO, a digital readout, letting me know how deep and how far I move the x y and Z. Very accurate and really helps on the mill. I had one for the lathe but sold the DRO to some one, but not sure who it was at this moment. Gary

The highest standard. Much admiration. I wish you a long and healthy retirement. Plus, she knows where you are!

Hi Christian. Yes sir really love those kits. Do believe they are the best WW1, 1/32 airplanes on the market today. They are coming out with a couple of new kits that I would like to get, the Fokker F.1/Dr.1 which is a early one and the Fokker Dr.1 the late version. They are also coming out with a Avro Lancaster, early version and the Dam Busters , but do believe they will be out of my price range. I did get the HK models, Avro Lancaster, when it came out and at 1/32, it is a very big kit. Should look good next to the HK B17G. Started getting a lot of the after market parts and pieces for the B17G to really make it detailed. Only one problem, time to builded all of them. :eek:) Maybe thats way I don't get Alfred done. I really do love building them. I take it your also in to building them? Thanks for asking good sir. Gary