Building HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong area and use the wrong terminology.

I've just started building the Endeavour, and am in the process of laying the first planking. However I noticed something strange in the instruction at the stern of the ship where the rudder goes. The rudder 'pole' is meant to go all the way through to the deck, however the structure below appears be blocking this from happening. The instruction don't appear to explain what to do here. Has anyone who built the Occre Endeavour come across this or am I am missing something. Do I cut the obstruction?

I have uploaded the step I'm up to clarify my explanation.

Attachments

• 371145414_Untitled2.jpg.3d15953918f44fdf87bfd838a0d88d75.jpg
    371145414_Untitled2.jpg.3d15953918f44fdf87bfd838a0d88d75.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Untitled.jpg.21685d5e38afc09827b8d81247e93f1c.jpg
    Untitled.jpg.21685d5e38afc09827b8d81247e93f1c.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 44
Maybe @Dave Teel can help?
He has a running building lof of his Endeavour

I had the same issue and found that they did not go through the hull to the deck. I installed the rudder and the tiller assembly separately and it all worked out well. Have fun with this one it was a fine kit to build. It took me just over a year to complete.IMG_0017.JPG

Great build Dave. I'm looking forwards to mine looking like that.

Yes I thought they left a step out. I'l wait and see if anyone else has something to add to the discussion, though I think I'll modify that part so the tiller can go right through to the deck without any obstruction. Thanks again for your thoughts Dave.

You absolutely can create an opening through the hull up to the deck if you wish to have a working tiller. The great part of working in wood is you can drill and cut as you please and if you slip up you can add another piece to correct the problem. I have many times used artistic license with some aspects of the build because I personally liked the result better. Actual historical accuracy has never been my goal. The people who see my ships would never know or care, unlike many builders I build ships as an art form for mass enjoyment. In the end if you are having fun that's what a hobby is all about.

I am also building the Endeavour from Occre and I don't know why the kit manufacturer overlooked this step.
After I had completed the stern I noticed the blockage. I took my Dremel and a drill and drilled through to the upper deck, taking care to note the correct angle. I completed the rest of the opening to enable the instertion of the rudder by filing with needle files. Dave's solution to cut the rudder would have saved me a lot of work and, let's face it, the rudder doesn't have to move once installed in situ.

Enjoy yout build and I can assure you there will be other issues on the way during your build, especially on some of the dimensions on the photos in the instruction book, which don't always correlate with the drawings.
Ask Occre for a 1:1 scale drawing of the side view looking onto the port side. I may still have it as a PDF. I used this drawing to check the dimensions.
Are you uploading a build log onto this site?

Last edited:
I suggest that you match your sails to yard length before you complete the work on the yard. I found that some of the sails did not conform to the yard length shown.

Thanks for your advice. I've just finished most of the planking. I will set up a build log when a work out how to do it. By the way LuigiSoft can you make your scale cross-section available for download; it will add one more tool to this build.

Hi Umbo80,
No problem. Please find attached the pdf "View onto port", containing the scale 1:1 drawing of the Endeavour. There are several sheets to print out, which you will have to tape together to achieve the complete drawing. I don't have a cross-section drawing, apart from those supplied with the kit. Do you have the older kit or the more recent edition? The reason I ask is that the list of materials on the drawings for the masts, yards and rigging in my kit were all in spanisch, so I had to request Occre for an international set of drawings. These you can download from their website, under "Links of interest".

All in all, occre have produced a good kit. The blocks are not tremendous and the rope could be better, especially the 0,15mm fawn thread.
I ordered alternative thread and blocks. I found the instructions and photos to build the hull were good an detailed, but with mistakes, hence the 1:1 drawing. Unfortunately, when it comes to the rigging, the detail drops off and one is more or less on ones own.
If you are interested, I can recommend you the very good book from Karl Heinz Marquardt "Endeavour, Anatomy of the Ship".

Good luck with your build,
Trevor.

Attachments

• View onto port.pdf
    207.2 KB · Views: 28
Hi Trevor,

Thanks so much for the cross-section drawings. I'll play with printing them to scale. Also appreciate the link to the digital instructions. They are great because I can enlarge some of the photos on my iPad to see more detail.

I must have the more recent edition because all instructions are multilingual.

I am sure when I get to the rigging I will be annoying you with questions.

Thanks Again
Umberto

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong area and use the wrong terminology.

I've just started building the Endeavour, and am in the process of laying the first planking. However I noticed something strange in the instruction at the stern of the ship where the rudder goes. The rudder 'pole' is meant to go all the way through to the deck, however the structure below appears be blocking this from happening. The instruction don't appear to explain what to do here. Has anyone who built the Occre Endeavour come across this or am I am missing something. Do I cut the obstruction?

I have uploaded the step I'm up to clarify my explanation.
Hallo @Umb80
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back