Building Log for the Nauticurso U.S. AV-SC96 Sub Chaser 1:32 [Completed Build]

Hello my fellow friends.

I just received a commission from Model Expo to build the Nauticurso Sub Chaser AV-SC96, Scale 1:23. Length32 1/2", Width 7 1/4", Height 10 1/2".
Model Expo now has almost the entire line of Nauticurso Models.

Many of you guysknows that this is an old model that has been in the market for a long time and reproduced by many model companies like Dummas 1259 SC-1, ITC Model class craft 1:74 (plastic), Ringo Toy Corporation NC. C-5820200 1:74, Glenco model 1:74 (plastic) and a few others.

I just can’t afford to do an extended research because this is a model needed in a showcase over Model Expo. asap. Must probably many of you have a vast knowledge about the history of this slick sub chaser, but I will enjoy very much sharing with you guys my build.

This is some of the pictures I found on line about this vessel.

1021495-26866-61-720.jpg1215009602.jpgkonda24_190425_5cc20945672e6-1600x960.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
This is the content of the materials. It looks like it will be a very simple build.
But we all know that there is not such thing and "simple".
Maybe one of you modelers have build this model before and could give me some pointers.

IMG_E1364.jpgIMG_E1365.jpgIMG_1366.jpg

Last edited:
So for the first step I assembled the two parts keel with the reinforcements and then slide the bulkheads into the keel and set them in the building board for a dry fit.
Everything went super smooth.
Tomorrow I will start the planking.
Chop, Chop, Chop.
IMG_1370.jpgIMG_1371.jpgIMG_1372.jpgIMG_1373.jpg

Well Kurt this sub chaser hulls was carefully, and lovingly, built of seasoned juniper, by shipwrights and craftsmen at the Calderwood Yacht Yard in Manchester, Massachusetts.
She had clean lines, high bow, and a pilot house with a flying bridge above.

Cool - a very interesting kit
and also the boat by itself is interesting - a 100 ft wooden boat - and more than 400 were build

Cinderellas_of_the_fleet_(1920)_(14595373477).jpg PC405,_SC405._Submarine_chaser._Starboard_side,_at_Brest,_France,_12-13-1918_-_NARA_-_530780.tif.jpg USS_SC-2.jpg

a very interesting page only related to subchasers - with a lot of photos showing most of the running numbers

Reminds me of another class of wood built boats, in the heavy steel days, the good old WWII PT boats, made of lumber and plywood.

I was told the Navy specified wood to make them smaller sonar and radar images, and to keep mines from being attracted to them.

There are four keel fillers (two 1b and two 1c) that need to be reshaped before gluing them to the keel.

IMG_1403.jpgIMG_1404.jpgIMG_E1411.jpgIMG_1406.jpg

This kit has the keel line markings only on one side so you have to trace it and mark the other side.
IMG_1408.jpgIMG_1409.jpg
Its alway good to do a pencil line just to guide you of how much to reduce. The final shaping I did it after the pices where glue.
IMG_1407.jpgIMG_1408.jpgIMG_1412.jpg

With that out of the way I started my planking. I will try to do the planking according to the color pictures instructions unless I could improve something.
Here are the first full planks.IMG_E1413.jpgIMG_E1414.jpgIMG_1415.jpgIMG_E1417.jpgIMG_1416.jpg
As you can see. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to planking.

IMG_E1414.jpg

I recently built the Dumas SC-1 subchaser. During the build I found this book which gives the complete lowdown on this boat. I bought it on Amazon.

IMG_3809.jpg

This is my completed boat. It is fairly true to scale, except the full-size boat has 3 screws whereas the model only has one. It is electric powered.

9E72E981-B357-4FF5-9346-B55786CAC456.jpeg4834FABC-5FC4-41D9-950E-521E03ED7B4E.jpeg

With that out of the way I started my planking. I will try to do the planking according to the color pictures instructions unless I could improve something.
Here are the first full planks.View attachment 341283View attachment 341293View attachment 341292View attachment 341294View attachment 341287
As you can see. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to planking.

View attachment 341289
Hello Bluebeard, I ask, is there a reason you don't do the battura? You could avoid some suppression of the detachment of the plating, Thanks

IMG_E1413.jpg

The DonMI:
Im so glad you showed us your finished model, I will use it as reference.
About the “battura”. I am not to familiar with the terminology, but I guess you are referring to the notch that is tapered from the bearding line to the keel.
I am omitting it because my goal is to show a simplified planking process for the newcomers.
The link for this build will be included together with the model whenever a customer purchases it from ME, and in many cases they are customers that are new to the hobby and I want to make it as simple as possible, they will have plenty of time to approach the process differently.
But please, feel free to add your two cents before I get to the next step so I could make my adjustments.
Thank you for observing that very important step.

TheDonMI:
Do ypou have a building log for that beautiful model?
Or maybe you have a few pictures of the build.

The DonMI:
Im so glad you showed us your finished model, I will use it as reference.
About the “battura”. I am not to familiar with the terminology, but I guess you are referring to the notch that is tapered from the bearding line to the keel.
I am omitting it because my goal is to show a simplified planking process for the newcomers.
The link for this build will be included together with the model whenever a customer purchases it from ME, and in many cases they are customers that are new to the hobby and I want to make it as simple as possible, they will have plenty of time to approach the process differently.
But please, feel free to add your two cents before I get to the next step so I could make my adjustments.
Thank you for observing that very important step.
Hi, Thanks for replying and sorry for my comment

This is great! My grandfather (my mom's dad) was assigned to a SC during WWI out of Corfu... There was a model of one in the family pictures, but I could never locate the model itself... I read Todd's book and got the background that Gramps never passed along. Interestingly at some point in the tour of duty he was reassigned to the prize crew of the Radetzky in Split. This is mentioned on page 109 in the book and I have a photo of the crew on the deck of the Radetzky with gramps setting atop the starboard barrel of the forward gun mount... So... since I can't find the original family model I'm considering building one myself for my active duty Navy sons (although they are both aviators). Thanks for the motivation and information!

Back