Building one-off models to sell

it would be worth the search to learn what you can about Captain William Castle's dockyard in Deptford what ships were built there, did he have naval contracts, find registered ships he built and who he built them for.

shipwright101 said:
it would be worth the search to learn what you can about Captain William Castle's dockyard in Deptford what ships were built there, did he have naval contracts, find registered ships he built and who he built them for.

Definitely, this seems from the discussion the new focus. It is all about Captain William Castle, what contracts were undertaken and what was the nature of the contacts he may have had, particular with the Navy Board. :handgestures-thumbup:

yupper

I have absolutely no surprise it is all our fault, most things are!

it was the British admiralty that first banned naval shipwrights from working in private yards and to establish their own yards anywhere in the world. It was also the British that first set down the rules as to the size, construction and lines for ships, stray from these strict rules and you got banned.
oh my! so todays strict rules in the ship modeling community and telling people who can build what and from where and how is just traditions set down by the British Admiralty a long, long time ago. :roll:

shipwright101 said:
yupper

I have absolutely no surprise it is all our fault, most things are!

it was the British admiralty that first banned naval shipwrights from working in private yards and to establish their own yards anywhere in the world. It was also the British that first set down the rules as to the size, construction and lines for ships, stray from these strict rules and you got banned.
oh my! so todays strict rules in the ship modeling community and telling people who can build what and from where and how is just traditions set down by the British Admiralty a long, long time ago. :roll:

And also a period as you stated regarded by historians to represent stagnation and torpor! Well, well they do say we can learn a lot from history. ;-) I like the comparisons to art movements too. How many art movements survived. None, because art cannot be expressed within a frame work of strict rules and regulations. It is then it becomes 'paint by numbers' by those that follow it, not the other way around! :D

In my research something keeps coming up, one starts with 'nothing much is known about pirates and pirate ships'. As soon as one digs a little deeper the reality is there is more known about the topic than any other group at the time. They were big news and there is plenty to explore to get closer and closer to the men, women and ships of the Golden Age of Piracy. It is all tied in too with fascinating ship yards, shipwrights, politicians of the day. Best hobby I have ever got involved in!

Back