Building slip

Since I'm brand new to this hobby I've been looking around and starting my collection of building tools.

I have come across a building slip from Billings Boats, which seems very similar to the Fair-a-Frame building slip that has all kinds of mixed reviews online. So I'm asking the group, is this a useful tool for a first time builder ?

Hallo

I do not use any of these building slips, but maybe I can give a hint based only on looking at these slips

Billing boats - price around 50 Euros - length of models up to 90 cm
s-l500.jpg www.agesofsail.com-BB397-34.png

Model Shipways - Fair-A-Frame -> price around 50 US$ - length of the base 61cm
MS105-800x800.jpg

With both slips you are limited in such a way, that the model is every time fixed in the vertical direction, means you can use it for the rectangle installation of the bulkheads and to fix it if you are working on the decks etc.

Somehow similar Hobbyzone is offering a small slip for half of the price - models up to 80cm

tg105_1100x550.jpg

But take a look at the second slip from Hobbyzone which is looking for me more flexible - possible length of a hull with 100cm - price around 53 Euros

slip.jpg.07872eec3fc169b79ce7b66f481999e7.jpg

You have the same possibilities, but in addition you are able to rotate a fixed hull through 360°

5.jpg.79a0b2aac0a20ffe432516c2ef50a896.jpg

Thanks, I really like the larger one from Hobbyzone and have read some good reviews but can't find it available anywhere at the moment
Yes, seems, that they did not produce for a longer time, so that most of the shops do not have them in stock, but it seems, that some have still

Take a look at this shop (f.e.) - I have never dealed with them, so maybe you comunicate with them via mail before you order
The price here for only 37 Euros......

Would be interesting maybe also for others (maybe myself)

But maybe also this shop in ch

I bought the Model Shipways "Fair-A-Frame" for my first build years ago. I used it for about 1/4 of the frame build. Then I went out and bought four machinist's right angle set up blocks and never looked back! The "Fair-A-Frame" went into the trash (where it belonged). If you look hard, the blocks can be had for $5-$15 apiece. Not cheap, but they'll last your whole life and NEVER EVER go out of square! Just my 2 cents!

Img_2112.jpg

I have seen those types of angle blocks in 1", 2" & 3", what size would you recommend ?

Thanks for the links Uwe, I just ordered online. At least I think I did, I'm pretty sure the web site was in German. Anyway it was only $57Cdn with free shipping and I paid with Pay Pal so if it's a bust I won't loose out.

I have seen those types of angle blocks in 1", 2" & 3", what size would you recommend ?
If your going to buy them, get the 3" size. They are very versatile. Mine are 2" and they work great, but bigger is better with these. If you were building a frigate in 1:48 you'd really want the 3" size, but the 3" blocks work fine for a 1:96 scale build too. The 3" blocks are heavy, also. I use them as weights to hold frames tight to the keel/rising wood in plank on frame scratch building.

Here is how I use them to glue up a frame truly square. The model is 1:64 scale:

Img_2118.jpgImg_2114.jpgImg_2116.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Instructorken
Which site did you order from?

I spent weeks looking for this online and found just one company that had it available for 36 Euros.
i set up an account, ordered and waited. After a couple of weeks I emailed them and they replied that they did not have a record of my order. I sent them a screen shot of my account showing the order and confirmation of payment, and I heard nothing. I emailed them constantly for several weeks but there was no response.
I then found that the website I ordered from no longer existed and they had set up at least three different shop fronts under different names.
The first one that Uwek mentions is part of the same scam and when I looked at that company I was immediately suspicious as they have the same contact email as www.andydevyb.com, which this is the exact same front as the company I ordered from but under a different name.
Good news for me is that when I raised this with PayPal they reimbursed my payment within less than 10 minutes, fantastic.
So I hope you are successful, but let me know who you ordered from as I am keen to order one, if you ordered from the first mentioned by Uwek then I believe you will need to think about recovering your money, no criticism of Uwek as he would not know...
thanks
Paul

Last edited:
I keep getting this from my internet security provider, BitDefender. It now pops up and is blocked by the anti virus scanner every time I log in to SOS forums.

This is what the scanner reports -

chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to euromodelshop.ch. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted one.

Back