Building "VASA" (1628) a Dutch designed ship built in Sweden: now again in The Netherlands....

Hi guys, I found out about this site when the built of this d'Augustini wooden scale model kit was already underway.
Never ever have I built a wooden ship in my life!
Let alone this beauty of a ship. We will see where it all ends. Hopefully in a presentable show case!

On SOS some remarks are made about the position of the gunport. In the original dAugustine drawing, the built the ports stay horizontal, but do follow the planking. In pictures I saw the gunport follow the flow of the planking. So I decided to tilt the guntports slightly. But that is for the next stage...
Now I am concentrating on the back op the ship.. some work needs to be done..

achterkant.jpg

Also a warm welcome @Meonscale.

The build log pointed out by Kedde in post #2 is highly advisable reading material, and a perfect guideline for what can be achieved with this kit.

I wish you a lot of fun and success with your Vasa.
Hi Herman, Thanks for your reply, well, that built you mentioned is near to perfect... Mine is a bit doggy, but I muddle trough anyhow :)

You are welcome. That log has actually made me try to sell my Billing Boats kit and purchase the DeAug kit instead. But working on both Danmark and Norske Løve at the moment, so let's see when there's space in the yard :)
Hi Kedde,

The DeAg kit is now available through Artesania Latina. It is the exact same kit.

Sorry to hijack your build report @Meonscale.

Last edited:
Meonscale,
From one newbie to another, welcome to the SOS site. I doubt that you'll find a better bunch of craftsmen to work with but beware... If you're All-in on this project, you will learn so much it will make your head spin. Have patience and don't ever, ever give up. Wishing you the best with your build. Terry

Meonscale,
From one newbie to another, welcome to the SOS site. I doubt that you'll find a better bunch of craftsmen to work with but beware... If you're All-in on this project, you will learn so much it will make your head spin. Have patience and don't ever, ever give up. Wishing you the best with your build. Terry
Thanka Koch, step by step I should say. Good to know fellow shipbuilders are there for the asking...

Det var så lidt. Den log har faktisk fået mig til at prøve at sælge mit Billing Boats-sæt og købe DeAug-sættet i stedet for. Men arbejder på både Danmark og Norske Løve i øjeblikket, så lad os se hvornår der er plads i gården:)
Hej kedde
,Køb hele sat på en gang da det bliver afsendt fra UK for du skal betale for at post nord (160) kr for at lever det + dansk told

Hi guys, I found out about this site when the built of this d'Augustini wooden scale model kit was already underway.
Never ever have I built a wooden ship in my life!
Let alone this beauty of a ship. We will see where it all ends. Hopefully in a presentable show case!

On SOS some remarks are made about the position of the gunport. In the original dAugustine drawing, the built the ports stay horizontal, but do follow the planking. In pictures I saw the gunport follow the flow of the planking. So I decided to tilt the guntports slightly. But that is for the next stage...
Now I am concentrating on the back op the ship.. some work needs to be done..

View attachment 359920

Welcome. Vasa captures the imagination of many modelers like Mary Orse gets a hold of Brits. I'm waiting for the new DeAgostini kit to be available here in the USA.

Back