Building Vasas hull

I have just started building on Billing boats Vasa and am now thinking about planking.
One thing that I think looks a little strange is when you let all the planks go whole from front to stern. When I look at pictures of the 'wreck' at the museum, the cormorants are clearly visible.
One idea is to shape and bend the plank in full length and then cut them to ¨right¨ lengths. Absolutely does not have to be exactly as it is in Vaasa, it is enough if it looks pretty right.

In that case, how many parts does each length need to be in and was it used to splice them in some specific places / frames or was it more random?
Maybe three parts are enough, will be just over 15 meters per piece in full scale?

Ikon för Verifierad av gruppen

Thank you. I´m planning using the planks 2x7 mm in the kit to do a first plankning and then buy 0,5x5mm for a second. I hope that 0,5 mm thicker plankning want give me any problems with the rest of the build.

I have d´Agostinis 1:65 on the shelf, will take this Billing boats model as a learning kit, probably doing a simplified rigging on this one.

Back