Burmese rice boat

Interesting construction, especially of the mast and the running rigging.
Looking at this sketch I am wondering of such a mast and rigging was really used in such a way. But who knows more?
The ropes for the sail yardarm is in the same time somehow working as shrouds

Some information on Google Images

Jan
Via your search I found this old photo of an older model showing such a boat - highly interesting with such a rigging

Unbenannt.JPG

Seems there is or was such a model in Science Museum London existing - maybe a way for a further research

Last edited:
WOW
What a model this will be.
To my opinion, this build will be something that all of us will be watching very close.
It has such an orthodox shape that will be very interesting to see you achieve it.

Thanking you all for showing an interest i do have many photo's but no plans. The university of Southampton and the British museum produced a thesis in which there is a lot of info but it takes some reading. These boats were powered by using poles, rice boats had 4 poles either side, paddy boats had 8 poles either side so they were really pushed rather than rowed. Paddy boats were more or less the same design except only larger why they were called Paddy boats i would really love to know. Sails were use whenever the wind was in the right direction pushing the boats upstream must have been an nightmare. Rigging i think i will leave out but lets see now back to table fingers crossed.

Bluebeard don`t think it will be too hard unlike some of the man of wars that i see.
So really an update measurements were taken from the pictures of the model in the Horniman Museum as best i could. I think this would be a good model for a novice just like me to make, i am not going to bore people with pic's of every plank i fit so far i would say it's just a standard way of making a hull. It would be nice if i could post a photo and then print words underneath but i'm not that clever will explain in the next reply.

1.JPG3.JPG1.JPG1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

What i was going on to say is looking at one of the photo's from the Horniman museum you will see the bottom center plank is flat which led me to believe the whole bottom was flat as is on some river boats but further reading shows that not to be the case as in the photo below which is really a modern motorised version but the same technic was used 200 years earlier in fact they planked the hull up to deck level before adding any frames or bulkheads which i think in itself is no mean feat. So hopefully i will get more planks cut this weekend completing the what i would call the basic hull then the stem and stern to fit but stills miles to go.

tradBoatConst2.jpg

Bit of a drawback this morning it would appear my son has my table saw and i his which is really only good for cutting balsa but i will think of something else to do. You will notice the sketch in thread #1 is the same boat shown in #4 i.e. the stem and stern are actually stitched which i will come on to later if allowed let me explain. The thesis can be downloaded free of charge if you are really interested from LIBRARY_COPY_DIXON_2018_E_THESIS maybe you have to type capitals and it's free for personal use because there are some pic's i would like to post in the forum if i am allowed which will show different ways the stem and stern are attached on different models. So ADMIN please let me know.

Glad to say the last plank is on but took some doing cut from 15mm oak but i think it was just too much for even my small table saw. Started on the stem and stern but on my model the front end is just about 6mm too small so the stem will have to be extended so not sure how it will turn out but will do my best. The model in the science museum #4 looks nice but i think because the stem and stern are stitched the bottom would be made from a tree trunk rather than a flat plank would love to see more detail photo's of that model if anyone can help. The thesis refers to the Glasgow Museum which is just up the road from where i live but the author does not say which one there are quite a few just like there are in London. So if anyone can help with photo's or location i would be grateful.

DSC04195.JPGDSC04197.JPGDSC04198.JPGDSC04199.JPGDSC04201.JPGDSC04202.JPGDSC04203.JPGDSC04204.JPG

LOVE IT GREAT ANOTHE GREAT SUBJECT HEY GUYS NO NEED FOR ANOTHER VICTORY(HUGE) THOUGH IT IS TO MUCH MONEY FOR A SUBJECT OVER BUILT ALONG WITH OTHERS THIS IS WHAT IS INTERESTING FOR A MODEL CURIOUS HARRY DID YOU HAVE PLANS HOW DID YOU DEVOLOP DIMENSIONS LET ME KNOW GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS DON

Don what i did do was to print off pic's shown in the Horniman museum but unfortunately they come out in different scales so i then decide what scale i want (anything that fits an a4 sheet does me) anything bigger i don't have room for one pic i will multiply by 0.54,another by 0.84 and 1.25 and so on. Works out at 29cm or 11.5" long in old money would have liked it a bit smaller but never mind. In my late teens i built a small boat which i used for fishing on some local lochs with some success but i knew an old shipwright and when i popped the question he would say "son if it looks right it is right" so looking at the photo's below the stern note a 100% but it will be when i finish, another time when i would go into his yard for some wood i used to complain about too many knots in the wood he would say "son the birds have to be able to stand on something". Two memories i have lived with all my live.
Don't know what i have done printing looks different this time maybe some day i'll learn to work a computer.
PS Stem just glued on will work on that latter.

DSC04205.JPGDSC04207.JPG

What i was saying about being correct previous thread if you look at the first two pics you can clearly see that the stem is just not right question was what to do ref #13 the front end is just too short next two pics i thought maybe i can correct the last two still not quite correct but wait till the final result. As the model stands at the moment if frame #1 were to be moved fwd say 15mm it still would not work because the model keel is sharp at that point if the frame were move it would be about 1/4" wide at the bottom which means the hull would need to be replanked so it's really my mistake. However not the first time a novice has made a mistake just hope i don't make any more but still a long way to go.

DSC04209.JPGDSC04210.JPGDSC04211.JPGDSC04212.JPGDSC04213.JPGDSC04214.JPG

On the road to Mandalay i saw this old boat laid up so i stopped and spoke to the owner he told me he was just laying the deck 1mm ply with oak and apple planks and he was still working on the stem. As you see it it is still in a rough state consignment of sand paper due this week so hopefully it will begin to look like a boat next week.

DSC04215.JPGDSC04216.JPGDSC04218.JPGDSC04219.JPG

Gave it a light sand but truth is if i give it a scrape i get a better finish pic's not the best but hope it gives an idea how things are going and now looking more like a boat. First pic i used masking tape helped to keep unwanted glue of the hull the stem i would say is finished maybe show up better after i stain it as will the whole hull. The big challenge now is the the large cabin roof ( crew quarters) can only think i need to make a mold of some sort to set the roof panel planks some do have flat roofs but not this one. Now will need to consult the photo's i printed and have a deep think although there are some things i could add before i get there.

DSC04220.JPGDSC04221.JPGDSC04222.JPGDSC04223.JPGDSC04226.JPGDSC04234.JPG

Interesting construction, especially of the mast and the running rigging.
Looking at this sketch I am wondering of such a mast and rigging was really used in such a way. But who knows more?
The ropes for the sail yardarm is in the same time somehow working as shrouds
This may be an example of the accuracy vrs visual artistic problems for wreck reconstructions and models in the questionable use of iconography as a resource to be trusted. If there are no physical remains of the boat or ship then, as Christos in Cyprus has told me something like, "there are no right or wrongs when assumptions are made for our own models with physical evidence." Just a thought. Rich (PT-2)

PT-2 have to say thought did cross my mind these models are said to be accurate according to people in the know but luckily there are photo's around which show such craft. Regarding the roof of the main cabin i have looked around and found some have flat roofs others have a pointed roof some have a curved roof maybe made from woven bamboo but rarely seen are ones curved in both directions using planks first pic does show roof similar to the model although just a sketch i think a photo will be found someday. Regarding sails you have to be careful ones that have only a main square sail the person who steers the boat cannot possibly see if he sits on top of the main cabin roof as in the next pic the person steering the boat would be sitting on the rear of the boat as in the third pic which are mainly long and slim where as the model is more wide in the beam. The boat under full sail i would say is a paddy boat which are quite large so there is evidence around just a case of finding it.

a.jpgb.jpgc.jpgd.jpeg

Back