Byrnes Jim Saw on eBay…

Just saw this post on eBay if anyone is interested…. Unfortunately it’s to rich for my blood. Darn!

Just saw this post on eBay if anyone is interested…. Unfortunately it’s to rich for my blood. Darn!

WoW! that is pricey you can buy a 14 inch 1HP bandsaw for $200.00 less. A bandsaw is far more practical

tablesaw.JPGbandsaw.JPG

WoW! that is pricey you can buy a 14 inch 1HP bandsaw for $200.00 less. A bandsaw is far more practical
I agree Dave, the price seems to be out of line, but with Jim passing away and no new unit production at this time, the supply and demand ratio has probably changed, thus the increase in value. A bandsaw, small table saw (Byrnes or otherwise) and even a scroll saw are are all extremely useful, and each can do things the others cannot, so each is a very useful addition to a shop in my own experience.
Allan

if you have a limited space or budget investing in tools that are more versatile might be a better way to go. Just changing the width of a blade on a bandsaw you can resaw very accurately with a 3/4 wide blade or do some nice scroll work using a 1/8 wide blade. You can cut down rough lumber from 1 to 5 inches thick with a bandsaw but not with a 4 inch table saw.

question is do you really need to spend $920.00 on just one little table saw to build good models?
i bought a 4 inch Jarmac table saw for less than $100.00 and it works great.

i just can not get a grip on such an expensive $920.00 saw when you can get one for less than 1/2 the price is the difference really worth the cost?

saw12.JPG

Last edited:
question is do you really need to spend $920.00 on just one little table saw to build good models?

i just can not get a grip on such an expensive $920.00 saw when you can get one for less than 1/2 the price is the difference really worth the cost?

View attachment 456269
Yes it is

I had a Byres table saw and wasn't particularly impressed so sold it. Almost everyone else who comments likes the saw a lot so mine is a minority view. If you get one of these be sure also to locate a source for different types of blades in the correct size.

View attachment 456269
I was far from satisfied with my two Proxxons so bought a Byrnes last year and had it shipped to the UK. Yes, it was pricey, but I'm bloody pleased I went for it. I don't like kit timber so I mill my own, the finish and precision is much better than my band saw, which is still very useful. It might never pay for itself but it's a pleasure to use, and that's good enough for me. I don't reckon these will come up on the market very often but the package for sale here is not out of order.

I was far from satisfied with my two Proxxons so bought a Byrnes last year and had it shipped to the UK. Yes, it was pricey, but I'm bloody pleased I went for it. I don't like kit timber so I mill my own, the finish and precision is much better than my band saw, which is still very useful. It might never pay for itself but it's a pleasure to use, and that's good enough for me. I don't reckon these will come up on the market very often but the package for sale here is not out of order.
Glad you’ve got your FET saw working the way you want. I’m still struggling to get the rip fence to stay lined up. Really frustrated with it. :mad:
I successfully 'fettled'mine', to make the fence stay where I wanted it. I did do a post somewhere on here. I still had a problem with the rear of the blade cutting into the workpiece as it passed through, then after looking at my DW table saw, I er - saw the error of my ways - "Where's the riving knife?". I dug it out from the drawer, where I had put it & forgotten. After fitting it, the saw now cuts strips as expected.

Back