ca glue can cause nose problem

Nice dispenser.

Yes, without proper ventilation damage can be done to nose and other cells (aka brain) do to build up of vapors.

I try to keep a small 6" fan on low blowing across my work area when dealing with CA or any solvent.

In one of the movies I saw @Andrey kudin using a needle to dose the ca. I put a drop of ca on a glass plate and dip the tool in it to use as glue stick. Works perfect. The tip of the ca container keeps fresh and the glue on the glass plate keep good for a while.

IMG_2136.JPG.jpg

So, I've been building plastic ships for years, using CA for attaching PE parts, rigging, tiny details, etc. with no effects except for occasionally sticking my fingers together. I began working on wood boats and ships about 10 years ago, also mentoring kids at the Science Olympiad program at school building bridges, towers and boomilevers. It was when I started working with wood that I noticed the adverse effects of CA. When applied to wood, if you look carefully, you can actually see whisps of either smoke or fumes rise from the CA application point. There must be a reaction when the CA comes in contact with the cellulose in the wood. These are the fumes that seem to be the culprit. Secondly, I found another reaction - FIRE! I had spilled some CA on the glass plate I use for a work surface, so I reached for the roll of paper toweling I keep on the bench and wiped up the spilled glue with the hope I got it off before it set up and required scraping to get it off. I layed the paper toweling off to the side (fortunately not in the wastebasket). Within a few seconds there was considerable smoke / fumes rising from the paper toweling, very irritating to the eyes and nose. Within a minute the toweling had actually caught fire! Again, it must be the cellulose in the toweling reacting with the CA?
I don't know, but I sure am more careful and aware of what I'm doing when working with the stuff, especially around wood and certainly around paper toweling. I now also use a small fan to circulate the air in my modeling room away from my face, or, when it will be convenient, I will do the work in my spray booth that vents to the outdoors just like I do when spraying enamels or lacquers ( even water based paints ).
Just be aware and careful with this stuff folks.

EJ

I developed a rhinitis with superglue (CA) and tried the odourless version made by Rocket. This has been fine for me. Also use the fine plastic pipettes for accurate application.

My question would be: Being odourless, is it doing the same damage ? Just more pleasantly ?

l do have a small fan blowing across my work desk at all times. It did take awhile, but I did notice the coincidence of headache and sore throat after using CA for any extended period of time during a building session.

since using the fan, my desire to lick windows has lessen.

In one of the movies I saw @Andrey kudin using a needle to dose the ca. I put a drop of ca on a glass plate and dip the tool in it to use as glue stick. Works perfect. The tip of the ca container keeps fresh and the glue on the glass plate keep good for a while.

View attachment 270462
Those glue placers are excellent for small details like Syren internally strapped blocks etc.

The rhinitis caused by CA disappeared after switching to the odourless rocket glue so I presume it is the volatile chemicals that cause the smell are the culprit and there is no ongoing problem. I have tried using the ordinary CA again and the rhinitis reoccurred. Increasing the ventilation is a good idea but if the reaction is an allergy which I suspect it is the tiny amounts in the air can cause a reaction.

I am no expert but you can see the vapors coming off regular CA, it will fog clear and discolor regular plastic. The "odorless" CA supposedly doesn't fog, it makes sense that the vapors will irritate something. I bought the odorless type (thin and crack filling) and have had no problems so far.

I've found ordorless CA is less irritating but if you allergic, the more you are exposed the worse your reaction gets so a mask and ventilation are the best solutions I think.

I had really bad burning nose and cold like symptoms for about 3 days after whenever I used CA glue. For my latest ship build I switched to using BSI Super Gold and Super Gold+ which are odorless, and my symptoms have completely disappeared. If you are sensitive to CA glue I highly recommend trying the odorless type, I wish I had known about it before.

Back