CA smudges

Fist of all, Welcome aboard SOS, Gardbla! We are happy you joined us and wishing you lost's of fun!!
In order to answer your question, we would need a bit more details (photo possible)? On wood, it will be impossible to get rid of it. You can try scraping out, but CA tends to penetrate the wood and might go deep (that means lots of scraping). Plastic can be scraped with a sharp blade and then resurfaced using 500 grit sandpaper. As I said, a picture worth a 1000 words. ;)

Fist of all, Welcome aboard SOS, Gardbla! We are happy you joined us and wishing you lost's of fun!!
In order to answer your question, we would need a bit more details (photo possible)? On wood, it will be impossible to get rid of it. You can try scraping out, but CA tends to penetrate the wood and might go deep (that means lots of scraping). Plastic can be scraped with a sharp blade and then resurfaced using 500 grit sandpaper. As I said, a picture worth a 1000 words. ;)
Thanks Jimsky for the reply and reception. This is a wooden model. I have sprayed the top part first with blue, then the whole side with clear laquer. From the picture you can see the problem parts outlined in red, but also a green outline around where the model was hold in a vise. I'd like to correct both.

Attachments

• CA smudges.jpg
    CA smudges.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 14
This is a wooden model. I have sprayed the top part first with blue, then the whole side with clear laquer. From the picture you can see the problem parts outlined in red, but also a green outline around where the model was hold in a vise. I'd like to correct both.
Okay, much better now. With vise marks, you have no other choice as sand off. Well, it means to remove some wood, and depending on how deep those marks you may need to take more material. But don't sand specifically that area to make it even, work on a larger area so it will make a nice transition. Sand small amount and check, recheck, and sand more...until happy.
For the upper part (painted) scrape\sand off and put a small amount of putty, sand until the surface is even and smooth. Prime and paint (larger area). Once you finish repairing both, complete with clear lacquer again.

good luck!

Okay, much better now. With vise marks, you have no other choice as sand off. Well, it means to remove some wood, and depending on how deep those marks you may need to take more material. But don't sand specifically that area to make it even, work on a larger area so it will make a nice transition. Sand small amount and check, recheck, and sand more...until happy.
For the upper part (painted) scrape\sand off and put a small amount of putty, sand until the surface is even and smooth. Prime and paint (larger area). Once you finish repairing both, complete with clear lacquer again.

good luck!
Thank you Jimsky for the advice. I was hoping for some clever shortcut, but maybe it has to be the old sanding after all.

Back