Cala Esmeralda 1:58 by Occre [COMPLETED BUILD]

She’s done!

1:58 Cala Esmeralda from OcCre is in the cabinet!
IMG_8414.jpeg

It took almost 2 years with some breaks to work on Le Rochefort and other projects.

I also mostly scratch built the ship’s boat as there was no way I was going to use the white metal boat supplied with the kit
Don’t look to closely, there are lots of errors but I believe it still looks better than the other!
IMG_8412.jpegIMG_8411.jpegIMG_8415.jpeg

Now I will clean the shipyard and reset to continue on Le Rochefort…

Last edited:
Wow Olivier! Beautiful!
I love the furled sails. And the boat...fantastic.
As you know I'm building her too, finishing masts etc, ready to start rigging.
Very inspiring, congratulations!

She’s done!

View attachment 438583

It took almost 2 years with some breaks to work on Le Rochefort and other projects.

I also mostly scratch built the ship’s boat as there was no way I was going to use the white metal boat supplied with the kit
Don’t look to closely, there are lots of errors but I believe it still looks better than the other!
View attachment 438584View attachment 438585View attachment 438586

Olivier, did you use a kit for the boat? Or drawings? Would love to upgrade them too, but I don't have the skills to build them from scratch:-/

She’s done!

View attachment 438583

View attachment 438584View attachment 438585View attachment 438586

Wonderful. Congratulations

Olivier, did you use a kit for the boat? Or drawings? Would love to upgrade them too, but I don't have the skills to build them from scratch:-/
Hi John.
I used the basis of a kit from Model Expo. The 81mm kit I believe. https://modelexpo-online.com/3-316-81mm-Plank-on-frame-Lifeboat-Kit_p_853.html
When I got the kit I realized it was all basswood so I substituted many of the pieces with scratch built cherry and boxwood that I milled. As a first effort it’s OK but the planking and gunwales are pretty rough. My hands really shake too much to work on this tiny scale. It was quite frustrating as the swear words that are still hanging around the shipyard will attest!

Hi John.
I used the basis of a kit from Model Expo. The 81mm kit I believe. https://modelexpo-online.com/3-316-81mm-Plank-on-frame-Lifeboat-Kit_p_853.html
When I got the kit I realized it was all basswood so I substituted many of the pieces with scratch built cherry and boxwood that I milled. As a first effort it’s OK but the planking and gunwales are pretty rough. My hands really shake too much to work on this tiny scale. It was quite frustrating as the swear words that are still hanging around the shipyard will attest!
thank you, that helps a lot. My hands don't shake (yet!), and still I sometimes curse for 5 minutes without repeating myself ;)

Hi John.
John,
I have a small correction to the above info. The kit I started with was 75mm which no longer seems available at Model Expo. ‍♂️✌️

Hello Oliver,
it turned out really nice, congratulations on finishing it. The little boat is perfect and much better than the metal part.
I look forward to seeing you working on Le Rochefort again soon.

Hello Oliver,
it turned out really nice, congratulations on finishing it. The little boat is perfect and much better than the metal part.
I look forward to seeing you working on Le Rochefort again soon.
Thanks Tobias!
I’m in the process of cleaning up the shipyard for a restart on Le Rochefort. Still pondering a fresh start from scratch… we’ll see.

Thanks Tobias!
I’m in the process of cleaning up the shipyard for a restart on Le Rochefort. Still pondering a fresh start from scratch… we’ll see.

I went through your report again today and there is nothing that would speak in favor of a fresh start, seriously. But if you are not satisfied with your own work, you just have to give it a go.

Back