Caldercraft HMS Snake Deck Planking

I'm in the process of building the Caldercraft HMS Snake in 1:64 and was wondering how long to make the deck planks to keep them in scale.

On average I like to say about 25 to 30 feet in scale. You need to figure out your frame spacing and then add frames up until you are between 25 and 30 feet and use that number to figure out your length. So if your average frame spacing is 6 feet, then 5 frames would be 30 feet, so use 30 feet to start, then scale down. 30 feet is 360 inches. Divided by 64 is 5.625", or 5 and 5/8". I don't know Snakes frame spacing though.

In addition to @rtwpsom2 information about the maximum length of planks (it was limited by the trees used for the planking boards) the planks should end on top of the real deck beams - also the nailing pattern of the treenails (if you make them) should be only on top of the beams.
You can see, that all the hatches and openings in the deck are between such beams

j4565.jpg

The used drawing is the available contemporary drawing of the HMS Snake, which can be downloaded from the NMM (also other drawings of the Snake)

Please do not use for the butt joints of the planks the bulkheads (blue marked) - you have to make them appr. on the real beams (red marked

Snake_01_01_lrg.jpg

To make it it clear I add here some photos of my actual project the HMS Granado - a POF where you can also see the real beams

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

Hi Uwek,
What scale is your HMS Granado, and how long did you make the deck planks?

You do some seriously beautiful POF work. The nibbling strakes alone must have consumed as many hours as it takes to plank an entire deck without them.

Hi Uwek,

You do some seriously beautiful POF work. The nibbling strakes alone must have consumed as many hours as it takes to plank an entire deck without them.

*nibbing strakes

Sorry, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
rtwpsom2, you are right, although I have seen them called "nibbling" by Richard Mansir in his books on ship modeling.

Is "Joggling" something different or just another term for the same thing?
Like nibbling, I've seen it used for that purpose in this and other modeling forums, but I've never heard anyone in the ship building industry use it. It's used in the aircraft building industry to indicate an indent in the frame flanges where a stringer passes through.

From what I can gather from various sites around the internet is that joggling is what is done to the plank, while nibbing is what is done to the nibbing plank/strake.

Last edited:
Hi Uwek,

Sorry for the late reply
The scale of my Granado is 1:48
With the deck planking I followed fully the information given by Goodwin in his Anatomy book about the Granado - it is maximum the distance between 6 deck-beams

Just wanted to show you the comparison between the Goodwin deck plan an my deck planking - The pattern is follwing completely the drawing, so I followed here the Goodwin information for example the locations of joints

IMG_0726aa.jpg

(Photo mirrored)
IMG_1885aa.jpg

taken from post #632 of my building log

Back