Caldercraft Mary Rose

Nice kit but:
The supplied bundle of lime planking was only 500mm long
The parts list refers to it as 600mm. The model needs 600mm over most of the hull. (Walnut planks were OK)
Several e-mails to jotika produced no response
Rather than have a joint in every plank I forked out an additional £17 to buy longer planks from another source.
Rubbish quality control; rubbish customer service.
Has anyone else found the same problem?

Most kits I have built first layer planking has to be cut in sections to fit nicely and was not the exact length ( Occre, AL,CC). Its never been an issue for me. All my cc kit builds have been the same. I wouldn't expect 1.4m strips for the victory. CC are certainly one of the better suppliers out here.

Nice kit but:
The parts list refers to it as 600mm. The model needs 600mm over most of the hull. (Walnut planks were OK)
Rather than have a joint in every plank I forked out an additional £17 to buy longer planks from another source.
I purchased the kit mid January. Same problem. I've emailed them and still await a reply.

Nice kit but:
WOW, I have the same kit but haven’t noticed this problem. I’ll have to bring it out of the closet and check.

Thats disappointing to hear. You would think they would lift their game if they want to compete with the top quality kits coming out of China.

I had the idea that Caldercraft was an excelente model company, but like I said, I have to check what they sent me before I comment on it.

Last edited:
I purchased the kit mid January. Same problem. I've emailed them and still await a reply.
Hallo @JCB
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Did you receive in the meantime your ordered kit? so it is maybe a birthday present from your beloved one´s

Nice kit but:
I bought the MARY ROSE kit in 2022 and have so far completed the hull during last winter, I had no problems with the supplied planking all was 600 long.
I am building the ship in t its original condition with full height Fore and Summer Castles, ie 4 decks above the main deck in the Fore Castle, and 3 decks above the maindeck in the Summer Castle. Therefore I had to buy extra timber for these extra decks outside of thise supplied in the kit.
So far so good, I bought the extra timbers in one metre lengths from Cornwall Model Boats who are a SUPERB supplier,

I am currently researching the HMS Lenox as a possible scratch build for later, but am very tempted by the Caldrcraft Agamemnon kit.
If anybody wishes to learn about the construction of British Naval ship from the period of the 1630's then try and find a copy of books by Richard Endsor:-
1)The Master Shipwrights Secrets
2)The Warship Anne
3)The Restoration Warship

Back