Can’t figure out how it is done. Stirrups.

Hi Don.
Steel is a bit inconsistent.
Naval/Merchant varies from 6 per side to 2 per side on the main yard depending on guns/tons.
I still think 3 per side is correct. If I was to pull a figure out of all this I would say about 5'6" between stirrips.
Regards Allan

I try to be simplistic in tying on stirrups…in my opinion trying to nail to a very thin spar is not feasible at scale. I wrap a thread around the spar from the center of the thread such that I can tie the ends with a simple overhand knot on the backside (or one side as long as you are consistent) which allows one end of the overhand knot dropping down slightly off center to the spar. A drop of CA seals the knot. Then I clip off the upper end to create a clean wrap and stirrup. The overhand knot blends into the wraps nicely and is not noticed. I hope this makes sense…the one model that I could use to illustrate is in a case and I can’t get a picture close enough to show the end result…

"Anatomy of Nelsons Ships" C. Nepean Longridge 1955. His graphics appear to have the sturrup drooped over the aft of the spar. The "Horse" tie-off at the end is also from the aft side.

Last edited:
Hi Don.
Steel is a bit inconsistent.
Naval/Merchant article was written in the Nautical Research Journal vol. 68 No.4 covering this exact subject. Look up the ar
varies from 6 per side to 2 per side on the main yard depending on guns/tons.
I still think 3 per side is correct. If I was to pull a figure out of all this I would say about 5'6" between stirrips.
Regards Allan
About 2 years ago an
ticle and it will present aal of the relevant answers to your questions.

In the Nautical Research Journal, about 2 years ago, an article was published covering this exact subject. Enough relevant facts and photos are presented to allow you to build a satisfactory replica of stirrups and horses. Building an exact replica of these two items to exact scale is probably impossible, at least in any reasonable amount of time, due to dimensional problems with materials. At a scale of 1/48 the approximations are invisible. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have used 24 gage black wire. Wind it and droop it over the back of the mast. This may help: Attached is a page from Romero's Practicum of the "Warrior". VOL 5-1 Chap 11 pg 282. References are to 3/16 scale model. 0006.jpg

In the Nautical Research Journal, about 2 years ago, an article was published covering this exact subject. Enough relevant facts and photos are presented to allow you to build a satisfactory replica of stirrups and horses.
Can you tell us which volume of the nrg you talk about?

I'm not familiar with nrg. This page comes out of " The Illustrated Guide for Modeling HMS WARRIOR (74), 1781". Volume 5 - 1, Chapter 11, pg 282. by William Romero. There are other references in chapter 11 but pg. 282 is the actual process.
20231223_085407.jpg

Last edited:
I was just reading the article in the Nautical Research Journal. It is in Vol 68, No 4 Winter 2023 page 374.
William E. Sproul did a very detailed explanation of his method and tools.
Richard

I was just reading the article in the Nautical Research Journal. It is in Vol 68, No 4 Winter 2023 page 374.
William E. Sproul did a very detailed explanation of his method and tools.
Richard
Take picture of the article and post it here.

article is multipage and i believe publication is copyright protected. also, i believe back issues are online for members if you are really interested.

edited soon after posting. 2/20/24 8am
sorry, I was not watching which website was on. The publication, an NRG magazine, has back issues available for members on their Model Ship World website. I do believe it is a copyright protected publication so I am not comfortable copying and posting, but if you hop over there you might find it.

Last edited:
Back