can a hull be painted (white) after varnishing?

I have not done a great job on the hull of my Occre Albatross. I prefer my ships with the look of its wood so I want to try to varnish but if it looks horrible (and this one might) I wanted to be able to airbrush over it with white. I have seen this in another manufacturer's Albatross, and it doesn't look bad.
Is this possible? I have been using minwax polycrylic water-based finish. If painting after varnishing is possible, I would like to give it a shot if necessary.
If there are better products for painting after finishing, please let me know.
If not possible or advisable, I'll have to decide which way to go. I also have the Occre satin varnish but on the container, it says it is a water-based dye... not sure what that means.
Much thanks all,
Richard

that's good to hear. It's nice to have a backup plan... just in case.
Richard

Varnish (acrylic) can be very smooth and its difficult for acrylic paint to adhere to it. There are two options : 1) which is to use sandpaper to rough up the surface which allows the paint to adhere. The second method is to use a primer over the varnish which adheres well to the varnish and provides a surface for the acrylic paint to adhere. Both work and some people use sandpaper followed by the acrylic paint.

I consistently use MinWax matte finish water based polyurethane in my models as both a wood sealer and a finish top coat. I have used acrylic paints over the poly when used as a sealer without issues…the acrylic adheres well and dries smooth. Then after the acrylic dries I add a finish coat of the poly over the acrylic. Works for me…

A caution here…the answer also depends on how you define “varnishing.” Polyurethane is not a varnish and dries very hard. Acrylic may not adhere well to a true varnish…which tends to dry softer than poly and would need a light sanding before applying the acrylic…

Last edited:
I have not done a great job on the hull of my Occre Albatross. I prefer my ships with the look of its wood so I want to try to varnish but if it looks horrible (and this one might) I wanted to be able to airbrush over it with white. I have seen this in another manufacturer's Albatross, and it doesn't look bad.
Is this possible? I have been using minwax polycrylic water-based finish. If painting after varnishing is possible, I would like to give it a shot if necessary.
If there are better products for painting after finishing, please let me know.
If not possible or advisable, I'll have to decide which way to go. I also have the Occre satin varnish but on the container, it says it is a water-based dye... not sure what that means.
Much thanks all,
Richard
Richard ,if is water base varnish what you've to do is sand the area that you want to paint , I don't think you will have any problem, but remembe, sand as much as you can and then you will have a better finish.

IMG_2279.jpeg
So, this is the way it turned out using Formsby tung oil. Its a horrible photo but it helps hide the faults in the planking. I like the wood look so in my eyes its not so bad that it needs to be covered up, so I will keep it this way. Blown up you can see the lousy patch job but who's really going to look that closely.

I think it would have been better if I had used a satin finish but this is what I had in my cabinet. Amazon has a low gloss formsby tung that I might have used as a third coat but then I noticed that they wanted $150 for an 8 oz bottle. Yes, you heard correctly, $150 for 8 ounces. I can get used to the gloss.

I appreciate all the tips on how to approach painting over a varnish if I were to do that but rather than experimenting on some scrap wood I am going to go on with the build. Sometimes you just want to get on to the next project. After all, the intention was to re-acquire skills before my attempt at a scratch build.
Thank You all,
Richard.

Back