Can Use Help In Understanding Montañes Rigging

Is there someone I can do a Zoom call with who can help me understand the purpose of the different types of rigging on the Montañes. See below. I have mostly focused on doing the ratlines. But I find the rigging sheets themselves confusing. Thanks!
Montanes 5-8-21.jpg

Welcome back, @bturchin! You are one of the oldest members of SOS. As for the understanding rigging, get yourself a book or a couple of them. Once you grasp the purpose of the rigging lines it will be easy to work on your models. Check out a few suggestions of mine.

Good luck

I would like to add to Jim’s list. I routinely consult these books for models (and also did so when I worked on the full scale replicas too). They are a mix of period pieces, translations and compilations, and some modern. They can be hard to find in print, however, but they are indispensible.

18th Century Rigs and Rigging by Karl Heinz Marquardt
The Young Sea Officers Sheet Anchor by Darcy Lever
Seamanship in the Age of Sail by John Harland
The Sailmaker’s Apprentice by Emiliano Marino
The RIgger’s Apprentice by Brion Toss
Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson

There are many. Hopefully this helps.

For your questions about specific types of rigging - are you referring to what you’ve got set up in the photo? Shrouds and stays? Or everything...?

G

I am finishing the shrouds and ratlines. So I am talking about the standard and running rigging as shown specifically on the Montañes plans and it is about the model I am showing in the photo.

Thanks for the book recommendations. I have started to do some reading and certainly I need to learn a new language so to be speak: clew, buntlines, sheet, leech lines, etc. But doing the reading has already helped me better understand the plans.

I've just completed Montañés ,& I had problems with the rigging diagrams. Some belaying points were omitted, some not given enough clarity & some without number id. , but thanks to L.Peterson's book & John Aliprantis' YT build videos it all came together. There are several pulley blocks installed as per instructions but unused. I've just bought Occre's S.Trinidad, at first glance the instructions seem more detailed. On hindsight, maybe I should have tackled [pun intended] her first. I'm now ready to start on Le Superbe.

I've just completed Montañés ,& I had problems with the rigging diagrams. Some belaying points were omitted, some not given enough clarity & some without number id. , but thanks to L.Peterson's book & John Aliprantis' YT build videos it all came together. There are several pulley blocks installed as per instructions but unused. I've just bought Occre's S.Trinidad, at first glance the instructions seem more detailed. On hindsight, maybe I should have tackled [pun intended] her first. I'm now ready to start on Le Superbe.
Stuart, would you be open to a Zoom call? It would be wonderful to talk and go over some details. My e-mail is brian.turchin@verizon.net. If you let me know your e-mail address we can agree on a time that works for you (I am in New York on EDT) and I can send out a Zoom notice. Thanks

Gents,

I am also building a Montanes and just starting the masts and rigging. I figure I'll be tying some running rigging on the bowsprit by next weekend. I'm with you bturchin, just trying to match up where every things goes will make you wall eyed!!!

I too am a fan of John Aliprantis on YT. Interestingly, the SOS board seems to lean heavily towards seizing where John A stays away from this technique.

It took me several attempts to get the bowsprit rigging right. It also helped having Lennart Pederson's book to hand. I do seizing wherever I can, gives a much better impression I believe. John Aliprantis is now loading videos of HMS Beagle build which I'm also building along with Le Superb & HMAS Bounty.

I wanted to say many thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful. Looking at John Aliprantis videos has been amazing. So much to learn from watching him and I did buy Pederson's book as well to help with the rigging.

I wanted to say many thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful. Looking at John Aliprantis videos has been amazing. So much to learn from watching him and I did buy Pederson's book as well to help with the rigging.
HAVE A LOOK AT THE BUILD OF Montanez FROM WIREK POLAND. EXCELLENT DONE- partly with my help. I build it in the beginning 0f the 80Th. Anyway, Generally the Running rigging is following a specific pattern nearly on all mast. on the left side the front of the sail and right the backside. here is all the different running Riggen mentioned only missing the fastening points. I have them all from bowsprit )Jibs etc) to Mesan Mast and spanker. sail by sail. As I have built this ship myselves, I know the difficulties here, so forger the instruction Manuals. if you need further help here or over my e-mail: mainly with Wirek from Poland over E-Mail peandersen@telefonica.net = lauguaje problems, as he does not speak UK.

Attachments

• 00.png
    00.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 1606-foremat-trinquita-- rigging (21).jpg
    1606-foremat-trinquita-- rigging (21).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 1727-lobende gods 4.jpg
    1727-lobende gods 4.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 5e9306599f2904223070c33969090a14.jpg
    5e9306599f2904223070c33969090a14.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 25
  • 5b2d19729cf4a3b430265389569b55b9.jpg
    5b2d19729cf4a3b430265389569b55b9.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1473-bowsprit- running rig (14).jpg
    1473-bowsprit- running rig (14).jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 1607-foremat-trinquita-- rigging (32).jpg
    1607-foremat-trinquita-- rigging (32).jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 26
Is there someone I can do a Zoom call with who can help me understand the purpose of the different types of rigging on the Montañes. See below. I have mostly focused on doing the ratlines. But I find the rigging sheets themselves confusing. Thanks!
View attachment 231983
I have a lot of the Montañes generally, and the standing and running Riggen.. I have to alot of different Knot etc, but apperenly nowone is very interested.

Back