overview Can you get the most out of your Proxxon MF70?

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Here I am folks again, and as usual, my post starts with the question. Today we will talk about the Proxxon mill MF70 and if there is any possibility to make it a bit better to suit our needs. Well...this discussion, will not be about converting MF70 to a CNC machine. There is plenty of discussion on the net. We also will not talk about how to improve the XYZ table to run it smoothly. So...what will we talk about, Jim?

A long time back I made an order at AliExpress to purchase some endmills for my FM70. Those were hard to find here, in the US, tiny bits like 1.0mm ~ 3mm. They come 3.2mm shank, stright\two-flutes and in various end-mill lengths. When the order arrived, Oh ...No...some of the mills were 4.00mm and even 5.00mm shanks! :mad: It was purely my fault as I didn't check correctly. I was intrigued by the shapes of some of those mills and...got punished. From that time, I was dreaming to convert the standard 8mm threaded collet system to the one that accepted at least 4.00mm shank. Recently I was searching again for the solution and... BINGO!

As you can guess, today I will discuss how to make your MF70 accept larger sizes shanks. The beauty of this method is that you don't have to rub the bank for parts and will not require to re-assemble your MF70. All you need is a converter, ER11 converter (image below).

600_2870.jpg

It comes with an 8mm bore at one end. The second end is fitted with an ER11 system, to accept collets (bought separately). On AliExpress, you can buy it as a set. This is important as you can buy as wrong collet system like ER16, they will not be fitted into ER11.

1642908060141.jpeg 1642908823279.jpeg

Here are the colets. The set contained 15 colets to accept 15 different sizes. Technically speaking, you don't really need all the sizes, and you can save by buying those individually as required.

1642908257090.jpeg 1642908475699.png

I was hoping that the converter comes with an M8mm thread, so I can just swap with the existing 3mm collet system. I was wrong, and...got disappointed! However, both the inner diameter of the connector and the outer diameter of my mill rod are 8MM. Eyes are afraid, but hands are doing..... the connector tightly slides to the shaft without any problems. On the sides, the convertor has hex set screws so you can tight it to the mill road. I was afraid to ruin the thread by tying, but my worry was unnecessary. Set screws are almost at the top, and the exiting collet system ( 3mm) never goes that high. Here is how it is looking on my mill.

600_2868.jpg

600_2869.jpg

I use the 4mm collet, and one of the fancy endmills I bout accidentally, Everything tight and...I turn the mill ON! WOW! The mill was running very smooth, with no additional sound, I mean like nothing changed. The next image is very important because I took it while the mill was running. I didn't use a quick shutter and the photo shows no wobbles at all!!! I wish I can have those indicators but I will move to the tests shortly. Now the image of a running mill.

600_2875_s.jpg

The first impression is very good!! I like it! At least it works! I couldn't wait anymore to mill some wood. So I ran a few tests, I am glad I can share them with you. For the test, I used standard endmills and boxwood scraps so they will hold the edge.

600_2884.jpg 600_2886.jpg

1642912204913.jpeg

There we of total 8 tests. I marked each test with a number.

Test #1. Proxxon end-mill 1.00mm and Proxxon collet system I pretend I need to make the holes in the cat davits. I use a 1.00mm end-mill from Proxxon (on the upper right image).

600_2879.jpg

I use my Mitutoyo caliper. Below is the result. It speaks for itself. Very precision! :)

1642910662989.jpeg

Test #2 and #3 I use a 1.00mm Proxxon end-mill, and a newly acquired ER11 converter with a 3.00mm collet system. Well, the results are not so impressive. It is off by 0.24mm. It is a lot!

1642910950710.jpeg

Test #4 Used the ER11 system and 4.00mm endmill. The first run (#4) is again off by 0.2mm

1642911263235.jpeg

However, in test #5, I use the different 4.00mm end mill (photo below) and I get a much more desirable result! Oh...yes!

1642911603062.jpeg

1642911636577.jpeg

Test #7 1.00mm Proxxon endmill and ER11 system to mill jsut the deep line in the bloodwood. It did failed again, by 0.28mm

1642911965106.jpeg

Test #8 I used the Kyocera 0.8mm endmils and ER11 system (3.00mm collet), and got the eaxct mesasurements.

1642912151060.jpeg

The test #6 is just the surface test. Works well with 4.00mm stright\2 flute endmill. Very happy. That means, I can remove more wood from a single path if use 5mm endmill.

1642912511967.jpeg

Well, all tests were performed and my general impression - I am happy! Oh, yea!! I didn't make any tests on metals (brass\steel) but honestly, I am mostly using MF70 for woodworking. Finally, I will be able to use 4.00mm and 5.00mm endmills accidentally bouht a long time back. For some reason, the ER11 doesn't like Proxxon endmills, but I will play more and get back to you with the results. The last image shows the nice half-round groove made with one of the 4.00mm special shapes endmills. I can use it for gun carriages. ;)

1642912892778.jpeg

Any questions, please feel free to post, so we can discuss them! I might miss something... it was a busy day, thought

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1642908383684.jpeg
    1642908383684.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi Jim.
I use same ER11 (and bigger) collets. The main source of problems is their manufacturing inaccuracy. Even a small deviation on the cone is multiplied by the tool length.
Try to use dial indicator to test throving clamped tools.
And test the throving of the innert part of converter cone too.

Regards, Radek

Here I am folks again, and as usual, my post starts with the question. Today we will talk about the Proxxon mill MF70 and if there is any possibility to make it a bit better to suit our needs. Well...this discussion, will not be about converting MF70 to a CNC machine. There is plenty of discussion on the net. We also will not talk about how to improve the XYZ table to run it smoothly. So...what will we talk about, Jim?

A long time back I made an order at AliExpress to purchase some endmills for my FM70. Those were hard to find here, in the US, tiny bits like 1.0mm ~ 3mm. They come 3.2mm shank, stright\two-flutes and in various end-mill lengths. When the order arrived, Oh ...No...some of the mills were 4.00mm and even 5.00mm shanks! :mad: It was purely my fault as I didn't check correctly. I was intrigued by the shapes of some of those mills and...got punished. From that time, I was dreaming to convert the standard 8mm threaded collet system to the one that accepted at least 4.00mm shank. Recently I was searching again for the solution and... BINGO!

As you can guess, today I will discuss how to make your MF70 accept larger sizes shanks. The beauty of this method is that you don't have to rub the bank for parts and will not require to re-assemble your MF70. All you need is a converter, ER11 converter (image below).

View attachment 285197

It comes with an 8mm bore at one end. The second end is fitted with an ER11 system, to accept collets (bought separately). On AliExpress, you can buy it as a set. This is important as you can buy as wrong collet system like ER16, they will not be fitted into ER11.

View attachment 285198 View attachment 285203

Here are the colets. The set contained 15 colets to accept 15 different sizes. Technically speaking, you don't really need all the sizes, and you can save by buying those individually as required.

View attachment 285199 View attachment 285202

I was hoping that the converter comes with an M8mm thread, so I can just swap with the existing 3mm collet system. I was wrong, and...got disappointed! However, both the inner diameter of the connector and the outer diameter of my mill rod are 8MM. Eyes are afraid, but hands are doing..... the connector tightly slides to the shaft without any problems. On the sides, the convertor has hex set screws so you can tight it to the mill road. I was afraid to ruin the thread by tying, but my worry was unnecessary. Set screws are almost at the top, and the exiting collet system ( 3mm) never goes that high. Here is how it is looking on my mill.

View attachment 285204

View attachment 285205

I use the 4mm collet, and one of the fancy endmills I bout accidentally, Everything tight and...I turn the mill ON! WOW! The mill was running very smooth, with no additional sound, I mean like nothing changed. The next image is very important because I took it while the mill was running. I didn't use a quick shutter and the photo shows no wobbles at all!!! I wish I can have those indicators but I will move to the tests shortly. Now the image of a running mill.

View attachment 285206

The first impression is very good!! I like it! At least it works! I couldn't wait anymore to mill some wood. So I ran a few tests, I am glad I can share them with you. For the test, I used standard endmills and boxwood scraps so they will hold the edge.

View attachment 285207 View attachment 285208

View attachment 285217

There we of total 8 tests. I marked each test with a number.

Test #1. Proxxon end-mill 1.00mm and Proxxon collet system I pretend I need to make the holes in the cat davits. I use a 1.00mm end-mill from Proxxon (on the upper right image).

View attachment 285209

I use my Mitutoyo caliper. Below is the result. It speaks for itself. Very precision! :)

View attachment 285210

Test #2 and #3 I use a 1.00mm Proxxon end-mill, and a newly acquired ER11 converter with a 3.00mm collet system. Well, the results are not so impressive. It is off by 0.24mm. It is a lot!

View attachment 285211

Test #4 Used the ER11 system and 4.00mm endmill. The first run (#4) is again off by 0.2mm

View attachment 285212

However, in test #5, I use the different 4.00mm end mill (photo below) and I get a much more desirable result! Oh...yes!

View attachment 285213

View attachment 285214

Test #7 1.00mm Proxxon endmill and ER11 system to mill jsut the deep line in the bloodwood. It did failed again, by 0.28mm

View attachment 285215

Test #8 I used the Kyocera 0.8mm endmils and ER11 system (3.00mm collet), and got the eaxct mesasurements.

View attachment 285216

The test #6 is just the surface test. Works well with 4.00mm stright\2 flute endmill. Very happy. That means, I can remove more wood from a single path if use 5mm endmill.

View attachment 285218

Well, all tests were performed and my general impression - I am happy! Oh, yea!! I didn't make any tests on metals (brass\steel) but honestly, I am mostly using MF70 for woodworking. Finally, I will be able to use 4.00mm and 5.00mm endmills accidentally bouht a long time back. For some reason, the ER11 doesn't like Proxxon endmills, but I will play more and get back to you with the results. The last image shows the nice half-round groove made with one of the 4.00mm special shapes endmills. I can use it for gun carriages. ;)

View attachment 285219

Any questions, please feel free to post, so we can discuss them! I might miss something... it was a busy day, thought

Thank you!
I was wondering what the run out of the parts are, successively. Do you have a dial indicator to check such stuff? It mght be interesting to know....

I don't like the idea to fix him on the thread of the axle. Wasn't it better to buy one for an axle of 7 mm and tap the M8 thread in the ER11? just asking.

I see that there are also with UNF thread. maybe there are metric threads too

Hi Jim.
I use same ER11 (and bigger) collets. The main source of problems is their manufacturing inaccuracy. Even a small deviation on the cone is multiplied by the tool length.
Try to use dial indicator to test throving clamped tools.
And test the throving of the innert part of converter cone too
Thank you, Radek. I completely agree with you. Any extensions\convetion\adapters will add to deviation for sure. In addition, as you have mentioned, the quality of collets requires precision. However, if you look at the test I performed, I got very good results. Hence, I don't plan to use this conversion for projects which will require precision in 0.001mm. It is a convenient\inexpensive tool, it will allow adding more 4.00mm shank endmills. Honestly, I didn't expect the highest quality, but certainly happy with what it offered sus far. Otherwise...I would buy a bigger milling machine.

I was wondering what the run out of the parts are, successively. Do you have a dial indicator to check such stuff? It mght be interesting to know....
Unfortunately, I don't have one. I am not a machinist and never have one. I have limited practical knowledge of machine work: lathe and mill. I am sure it has a deviation to some degree. But my test results are somewhat good for woodworking. Buying a dial indicator would cost more than the converter itself. :cool:

I don't like the idea to fix him on the thread of the axle. Wasn't it better to buy one for an axle of 7 mm and tap the M8 thread in the ER11? just asking.

I see that there are also with UNF thread. maybe there are metric threads too
Thanks, Stephan. Yea..the ideal would be to buy a threaded one. I couldn't find one with a thread. Hence, it would be impossible to cut thread in the 7mm, the converter is hardened steel, also, I don't have all the tools to make thread anyway. You must do it in the lathe. :(

Maybe fill the thread up with a thin messing thread. I dit this on my serving machine where the thread have to fix in a bearing.

Maybe fill the thread up with a thin messing thread. I dit this on my serving machine where the thread have to fix in a bearing.
I am not a machinist, so not really familiar with the terminology, Please forgive me what is a 'thin messing thread'? It sits very steadily and firm, with no deviation if you try by hand.

That is the correct word, forgive me just writing a topic about yarn and thread. :)
Is it correct when I say:
Wrap a brass wire in the pitch of the stud.
Yea, I am not sure why didn't think the same way. One head is OK, but two (or more) much better! (Russian proverb). Thanks, both Stephan and Rawen!

Here's an end mill for ya....
Oh...thank you, Phil. I am afraid, for this endmill, I will have to buy another milling machine. Actually, I found one I am in love with. However, I would have to choose between this mill or my Admiral. She said it is expensive... but why? It is only $13.000.00 :eek:

1642986589915.png

Back