Cannon Length? - ZHL Black Pearl

So...

I recently picked up the All Sealed/Closed ZHL kit. It is 1/41 scale. Appears to be the all scenario version except without the interior.

According to my research it had standard 12 pounder guns. From what I understand this gun had a barrel length of 2.43 m. which means that the barrels supplied in the kit should be 59.26mm.

However...

The barrels supplied are only about 42 mm long.... Far too short...

Do I have the correct information here?

even though this is a fantasy piece... I would like to upgrade the cannons and make them the correct size.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Mike

Hi, our member @s.solajjic builds a scratch of the Black Pearl he might can give you an answer,here is his build log

Hello Harrison and welcome aboard SOS! We are hoping you will enjoy being here! As for your question, there are many manufacturers who made scale cannons. They can be cast metal, plastic and CNC turned from brass. Just to get an idea below is the link, you may find it useful.

Have fun!!

Hey guys!

Thanks for the replies... ;)

Can someone clarify the appropriate length of a 12 pounder in 1/41 scale?

According to Bryan Lavery, Uwe made a nice review of this book below.

The original 12-pounders were relatively long, between 9 and 10 ft. The 8ft 6in gun was introduced in 1743 for the upper decks of 50-gunships. The frigate guns, first used in the 1750s, where even shorter; they were 7ft 6in long. An even shorter gun, of 7ft, is mentioned in the earlier 19th century. The 12 pounder was nearly always made of iron, though some of the guns in the first half of the 18th century may have been brass,

Below is the scale calculator, choose the length you think is appropriate for your model (as original) and convert to your scale.

hope this will help.

hey Jimsky

Thanks for the reply...

The cannons in the kit are approx 42mm long...which would make them the equivalent of around 5'6".

Another website indicates that a bronze 12 pounder existed. Length of that is 5'6"... Which would match.

Pirates of the Caribbean took place in approximately 1720...which would suggest 9 foot is correct.

The problem is being a fantasy piece...I am not sure if I am opening up a can of worms...by trying to change the length. I think they are going to look waaaaaay too big.

Thoughts?

Mike

As you mentioned already, it is a fantasy ship so is the model you will build will not be a prototype. It is your call what size will better fit in your model! Enjoy!

@harrison987 , you might be right. 42mm cannons are way too big for this model. I ordered and used 29mm Amati cannons that fit perfectly to upper deck on this scale. On lower deck 12 pounders were probably used so your 42mm guns will fin without problems.

Back