Carabela Nuestra Señora de Atocha

Hello everybody!
would like to introduce my new building plan Carabela Nuestra Señora de Atocha in the scale 1:50
Under the command of Captain Bartolomé Garcia de Nodal in 1619, circumnavigated and explored Tierra del Fuego
To create the plan, I used the book Carabelas Descubridoras as a source.
If anyone is interested, please send me a message or email: v.troppau@gmail.com

Tafel-I.JPG

Tafel-II.JPG

Tafel-III.JPG

Tafel-IV.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo Eugen,
congratulations for finishing the new set of drawings - it is looking very interesting!

Nuestra Senora de Atocha sank in 1622 in florida keys with a lot of gold and silver which was built in havana in 1620. The wreck was found by an american called mel fisher. He also found the gold, silver and other valuable treasures. Since the wreck is found, the dimesions and the type of the ship is known. The documents of the ship in spain also proves that the ship is a Galleon.

Atocha is a GALLEON not a Caravel, and the length is 120 ft, and rated as 600 tons. You can see the picture of atocha at the cover of the OSPREY book.

I have a very old plan, called "Carabella Nuestra Senora de Atocha" the size and appearance is very similar to your drawing, unfortunately it is NOT CORRECT. Possibly it is drawn before the wreck of atocha is found or maybe there is another atocha as Caravel.

Spanish Galleon 1530-1690 1.jpg

The caravel Nuestra Señora de Atocha and Nuestra Señora del Buen Suceso were built in Lisbon around 1618 and were sent to explore Tierra del Fuego, an expedition that lasted a little over nine months after which they returned safely back to Lisbon. As a reward for this in 1622. Bartolomé García de Nodal was appointed admiral of the Indian fleet, will die in the same year in the shipwrecking of the Nuestra Señora de Atocha galleon, which was built in Havana, presumably in 1620.
This information can also be taken from later sources

este es otro plano

this is another plan

Attachments

• Nuestra Señora de Atocha.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
este es otro plano

this is another plan
Many Thanks for showing us these drawings with an earlier try of reconstruction - we can see, that the stern was much smaller, but I guess @eugen.t can explain this much better and more in detail .....

Many Thanks for showing us these drawings with an earlier try of reconstruction - we can see, that the stern was much smaller, but I guess @eugen.t can explain this much better and more in detail .....
Hello vlanco24, Hello Uwe!
this is a famous drawing from Julio M. Fouret, unfortunately, the proportions of the drawings and the declared dimensions do not match
6 gun ports are drawn for the declared armament with 4 cannons?

ATO.JPG

Hello everybody!
would like to introduce my new building plan Carabela Nuestra Señora de Atocha in the scale 1:50
Under the command of Captain Bartolomé Garcia de Nodal in 1619, circumnavigated and explored Tierra del Fuego
To create the plan, I used the book Carabelas Descubridoras as a source.
If anyone is interested, please send me a message or email: v.troppau@gmail.com

View attachment 202540

View attachment 202541

View attachment 202542

View attachment 202543

Back