Caracca Atlantica by Kikatinalong Mamoli 1:54 scale

Kikatinalong

Hello and welcome to all.
This is my first real attempt to build a wooden model ship and after 30 odd years of working in the steel industry I'm enjoying the challenge of working with a completely different material, I'm also enjoying having to buy a whole new set of tools and machines ( the Admiral isn't as impressed by this situation).
I'm a few months into the build and was exciting to c a member ( Charles QC ) had started a log with the same ship, so I was encouraged to do the same , its a great idea as we can swap ideas and receive advice and suggestions from other way more experienced than myself as I'm no more than a first year apprentice at modelling. The kit itself is very old and a lot of the parts are very roughly cut which has actually been helpful as it's taught me to look, learn and have patience as well as seeking advice on how to correct kit errors.
At this stage I really don't like the stern galleries and have it in the back of my mind to possibly do something different, I've had a discussion with a carrack enthusiast and he agrees that apart from being very busy at the stern, he thinks such galleries were built later and definitely not at the time that this kit suggests. I'll just add a little about the kit, then post a bunch of pics of where I'm up to with the build. After this post I will add to it as I move along.

Mamoli Caracca Atlantica ( Sao Miguel)
Scale 1:54
Length 813 mm
Height 630 mm

The prints at the time of the documents found in the historical archives of the naval museum of Barcelona allowed the reconstruction of the plans of a ship that, for its lines, takes its stand between the medieval merchant ship and the galleon, classifiable for the particular structures of the forecastle and the quarterdeck among the carracks. Mamoli wanted to call it "Atlantic Carrack" to indicate a ship suitable for the oceanic navigation.
Probably around 1519 it took part in an important expedition, which led Fernandez Cortez to conquer Mexico. The outer galleries, one of which is a balcony, the apartments under the small quarterdeck, the superstructures of the decks providing the installation of awnings to protect from the sun, clearly indicate that these ships were employed for the transport of passengers of high rank. Besides we have reason to believe that the two large platforms of the fore-deck were studied more to dispose of an observation post than to get a real profit for the navigation. Characteristics are the escutcheons at prow, painted with bright colours and having merely a decorative function.
Happy modelling
Kikatinalong

IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG

Charles QC

I have notice the other day that you put filler block what kind of wood did you use Question-Mark :D

Brewbrarian

Welcome Kikatinalong,
Is that the Mamoli kit of Sao Miguel that you are building? I just purchased the Mamoli Sao Miguel and I am itching to finish my current build so I can start the new one. I'll be watching yours closely. I'm on my first build too, so my opinion doesn't count for much, but it looks like you have nice smooth lines with those filler blocks in place, so I'm sure your planking should go very well. Can't wait to watch the build.
I'm also admiring the vise you have there. Did you put that together yourself?
Cheers!
Eric

Jimsky

Staff member

Hello Kikatinalong, you have started an interesting project! I am taking the chair and will watch as your build progresses. Very smooth 'fairing', indeed!

Kikatinalong

I have notice the other day that you put filler block what kind of wood did you use Question-Mark :D
Hi Charles, I looked around on a few posts and found most were using balsa wood, bass wood or pine that wasn't very sappy, some were even using foam of varying sorts. As I had pieces of pine laying around I went with that. I had pieces of 90x18mm so I cut that to the widths required and layered them up to where required always keeping the grain heading in one direction. Balsa wood isn't cheap and I've since found that a lot of wooden blinds are made of bass, I will by a cheap throw out blind when I find one and possibly try that on my next build but the pine worked fine.
Cheers
Kikatinalong

Kikatinalong

Welcome Kikatinalong,
Is that the Mamoli kit of Sao Miguel that you are building? I just purchased the Mamoli Sao Miguel and I am itching to finish my current build so I can start the new one. I'll be watching yours closely. I'm on my first build too, so my opinion doesn't count for much, but it looks like you have nice smooth lines with those filler blocks in place, so I'm sure your planking should go very well. Can't wait to watch the build.
I'm also admiring the vise you have there. Did you put that together yourself?
Cheers!
Eric
Hi Eric, thanks 4 ur response, we might be new to this but if we're prepared to be patient and ask a lot of questions I think we can build a reasonable model. My aim is to build a great model but only time will tell.
In regards to the keel vice, yes I built it myself, I used pieces of hardwood, it's 600 long, around 175 high and once turned to 90 degrees the starboard or port sides rest against the base really well for planking and other works. I used 8 mm allthread I had at home to make the bolts, 6mm would have been better, as a boilermaker I need to learn to stop over killing the work I do with timber.
Cheers
Kikatinalong

Attachments

Charles QC

Hi Charles, I looked around on a few posts and found most were using balsa wood, bass wood or pine that wasn't very sappy, some were even using foam of varying sorts. As I had pieces of pine laying around I went with that. I had pieces of 90x18mm so I cut that to the widths required and layered them up to where required always keeping the grain heading in one direction. Balsa wood isn't cheap and I've since found that a lot of wooden blinds are made of bass, I will by a cheap throw out blind when I find one and possibly try that on my next build but the pine worked fine.
Cheers
Kikatinalong
Usually I do not do that but your idea is appealing so I might go that way, also same as doing bearding line something I just did as per the instruction on the Syren
Always learning and improving I guest:D

Dicas

In the Lisbon Museum there are some "naus" much like the older carracks that may give you some inspiration. Find here:

Good luck for your build, following with interest.

Regards

JL