Card blocks

Can anyone tell me about card blocks. Are they suitable for a wooden model?

Can you show us an example of these card blocks - can´t imagine how they would look like......

My personal 2 cents

If you compare these card blocks (yes, they are nice, but ..... ) with real wooden ones, I would stay with the wooden

For me the card blocks are too 2-dimensional means too flat (guess caused by the use of card)

asb004-single-blocks-5-mm.jpg 6A7BEBF3-CD35-4880-99C4-424301FE98CF.jpeg

asb006-double-blocks-3-mm.jpg CDE87D0A-AE9B-42CF-BDEA-36339D601DC5.jpeg

@Uwek Ok I agree, problem is, I wasnt able to find a shop in Europe selling discent wooden blocks as for example Syren Modell Co.

USA stores at the moment has a very long shipment time because of corona and UPS or DHL are not available.

Do you know any?

Pardon me, but I haven't noticed 'mess' mention which model he is building.
The Syren blocks are indeed excellent but are prohibitively expensive to import.
The available European wooden blocks are very similar to the card versions but again, a lot more expensive.
The angular wooden blocks do have the advantage that you can 'tumble' them, thereby softening the edges.

Pardon me, but I haven't noticed 'mess' mention which model he is building.
The Syren blocks are indeed excellent but are prohibitively expensive to import.
The available European wooden blocks are very similar to the card versions but again, a lot more expensive.
The angular wooden blocks do have the advantage that you can 'tumble' them, thereby softening the edges.
These alternative block I showed are definitly not Syren blocks !!!!
To @Messis
if you are interested I would wait for April (only some weeks more) for the release of the (realy) "excellent" blocks from @Dry-Dock Models & Parts
It is worth to wait - better quality for a better price - getting more for the money

@Uwek Its a long time untill then. If I dont find fine quality and quick shipment I will try Dry-Dock, would they ship UPS or any other express courier? Though I believe or hope that USA post will be more efficient by then.

There was an article published in the NRJ a couple of years back on making blocks (about 20 pages). The procedure is a little finicky (do to the small size of blocks). The cost of making your own blocks is practically zero (there is no appreciable amount of wood in one block). There is no wait time on delivery. After you complete the setup for any one particular block you can cut enough wood 'sticks' in an hour to make enough blocks of that one type for a lifetime (many thousands). It is no harder to make blocks of 2-3mm than it is to make blocks of 2-3inches. I have never quite understood why more people do not make their own blocks.

@Uwek Its a long time untill then. If I dont find fine quality and quick shipment I will try Dry-Dock, would they ship UPS or any other express courier? Though I believe or hope that USA post will be more efficient by then.

I have never quite understood why more people do not make their own blocks.
It is convenient and quality, IMHO. All the blocks, for the same size, are identical in shape. On another hand, I would love to see self-made blocks, do you have some to share the photos with?

Guys, great discussion . I think @bill36 has a very strong thesis. Why do your own model ship, why do your own rope or your own masts or anchors etc etc. SoI think its an interesting point of view starting doing your own blocks!

Guys, great discussion . I think @bill36 has a very strong thesis. Why do your own model ship, why do your own rope or your own masts or anchors etc etc. SoI think its an interesting point of view starting doing your own blocks!
...it is a great idea to make our own blocks, masts anchor, guns, etc. Then...why buy kits?

@jimsI dont do my own ropes or blocks
Still its always a challenge, specifically if you cant buy easy good quality stuff. I buy meine mostly from Syren Modell co, extra fine quality and the prices are excellent! Still again I do think of making always more stuff by my own, only if I can make such good quality as for example Syren Co.

Back