card blocks

I am interested to know if blocks made from card (as opposed to wood) are suitable for use with model rigging? I ask because I have found that the shape of these at my model kit supplier very much suits my needs but I am concerned that maybe they will not accept too much tension and/or they cannot be shaped in any way than as supplied.
Can anybody comment on this please?

Please be more specific. Or add a link.
There is MDF, which is technically paper, but it comes in boards and is used as wood. I can imagine pulleys made of it.

Radek

The blocks I mean are those made by Shipyard who supply kits in card not wood. A link to one supplier is
Perhaps somebody who has made one of these models could give some feedback

I am interested to know if blocks made from card (as opposed to wood) are suitable for use with model rigging? I ask because I have found that the shape of these at my model kit supplier very much suits my needs but I am concerned that maybe they will not accept too much tension and/or they cannot be shaped in any way than as supplied.
Have you checked Drydock Models lately? This store carries the best blocks in the market. Pretty much all of the sizes will never require to shape - they are all shaped clean. However, they are from pearwood and boxwood, but they will hold the tension for sure!

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought the Shipyard upgrade blocks were made from wood.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought the Shipyard upgrade blocks were made from wood.

Kind Regards

Nigel
I personally recommend that you stay with wood as it can be refined in the shaping of the block, stropping groves, and the entry and exiting holes of the line fall for a realistic and tight radius of the line. Rich (PT-2)

I know Shipyard as you can see. :)
The linked blocks are made of wood or MDF at least - IMHO.

Radek

hotove6.jpg

Probably the best blocks available today are from Chuck Passaro’s Syren Ship Models. Check out their website

Probably the best blocks available today are from Chuck Passaro’s Syren Ship Models. Check out their website
If you have time and desire, please check the blocks from Dry Dock shop

Hallo @bigpropdoc
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back