Cazador Xebec 1750 - OcCre - scale 1:60, by neptune

I know that I should'nt have started another build, but to have a break from the Royal William I decided to have a go at this little fella, she is a nice kit decent scale at 1/60 but not too big to handle like the Royal William, all the parts come away from the panels nicely, and the fittings look nice and crisp, so here we go,

1.jpg
she comes well boxed with nice artwork on the front, four plans on two sheets nice instructions and a booklet full of photo's showing the build sequence,

2.jpg
I bought her from the same guy who gave me the Sots kit, when i got her she came with bulkheads and main deck already in place with some of the planking started on the main deck,

3.jpg
the bulkheads and the keel were nice and square to each other, but I did damage some of the deck planking, so I removed all of the deck planks,

4.jpg
I cut new planks and replanked the deck and also glued and planked the after deck,

5.jpg
and a side view,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John.

Last edited:
6.jpg
So while waiting for the deck planking to dry I decided to make a start on the small boat, all the frames came away nice and cleanly,

7.jpg
test fitting the frames in place, at the top is the building board for the small boat,

8.jpg
all the frames in place and glued, for security when sanding the frames I glued wood cross pieces to secure the frames to the building board,

9.jpg
the launch in frame and showing the two upper pieces for the after deck, they say to glue these next and then plank the hull, but I might just plank first and then attach these parts,

10.jpg
and this is where these parts will attach,

11.jpg
after the deck planking had dried I then attached the two bulwark formers and this is where I am at the moment,

best regards john,

Yes!!! another Xebec, I just love these ships. Looking good so far Neptune. Nice result, I'll keep watching. :)

Peter
Thank you Peter, I will try to keep up with your excellent build, I'm going to go through your build log for info and help, the instructions are great but there is nothing like a build log to see how things go together,

best regards john,

12.jpg
Luckily I had a quick flick through a couple of the other builds and noticed something I had missed, I thought the the Stem keel and stern post were Walnut but found out they are dyed plywood, so i decided to remake them with some Australian Myrtle I have, it is a close grained wood, nice to work with, A and B are the two pieces that will make up the Stem and C is the piece I will cut the keel from, although there will not be any fancy joints just plain angled scarfs,

13.jpg
the two pieces cut and the X marks approximately where I will cut the bow piece to fix onto the stem, i will just use a simple half lap joint,

14.jpg
milling out the slot on the stem piece,

15.jpg
I measured to mill halfway through the stem piece, but when I thought I was there I then milled a corner off a scrap piece of wood marked A which was the same thickness of the stem piece and laid it over the stem and it fit nice,

16.jpg
after milling,

17.jpg
milling the slots on the sprit piece,

18.jpg
and both pieces after a final clean up,

19.jpg
and glued together,
20.jpg
The kit stem laid over the new one,

21.jpg
Just have to cut out the Stem post and the rudder,

22.jpg
the Xebec sitting in front of the Royal William, she is a lot lighter to handle, you can see a white patch on the bulwark of the Xebec, the bulwark was near to cracking in half and i had to glue a thin piece of plywood on to reinforce the area, should be OK when it is sanded off,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John,

View attachment 362435
Luckily I had a quick flick through a couple of the other builds and noticed something I had missed, I thought the the Stem keel and stern post were Walnut but found out they are dyed plywood, so i decided to remake them with some Australian Myrtle I have, it is a close grained wood, nice to work with, A and B are the two pieces that will make up the Stem and C is the piece I will cut the keel from, although there will not be any fancy joints just plain angled scarfs,

View attachment 362436
the two pieces cut and the X marks approximately where I will cut the bow piece to fix onto the stem, i will just use a simple half lap joint,

View attachment 362437

View attachment 362438
I measured to mill halfway through the stem piece, but when I thought I was there I then milled a corner off a scrap piece of wood marked A which was the same thickness of the stem piece and laid it over the stem and it fit nice,

View attachment 362439
after milling,

View attachment 362440

View attachment 362441

View attachment 362442
and glued together,
View attachment 362443

View attachment 362444

View attachment 362445
the Xebec sitting in front of the Royal William, she is a lot lighter to handle, you can see a white patch on the bulwark of the Xebec, the bulwark was near to cracking in half and i had to glue a thin piece of plywood on to reinforce the area, should be OK when it is sanded off,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John,
Good morning John. Another Cazador Xebec. Awesome. Welcome to the Xebec club ;) . Good call on remaking the stem and false keel. The plywood is not nice. I scored a luck in my kit as these parts are African walnut. @Ptèr build is certainly a wonderful tutorial. Enjoy. Cheers Grant

View attachment 362435

View attachment 362436

View attachment 362437

View attachment 362438

View attachment 362439
after milling,

View attachment 362440

View attachment 362441

View attachment 362442
and glued together,
View attachment 362443

View attachment 362444

View attachment 362445

thanks for looking in,

best regards John,
Wow, that Royal William is a beast. The Xebec is tiny next to her.

Hi John. It is great to see you build a wooden kit model again and the Xebec sure looks like a fun build. I am sure you will create a beauty for all of us to enjoy.

View attachment 362445

thanks for looking in,

best regards John,
OMG, look at the size of RW compares to Cazador. It's almost that the Xebec is the lifeboat of RW. ROTF
Like Grant said, RW is a beast!

Nice work on the stem, keel and rudder. I didn't like the plywood as well. Grant's version have nice solid African Walnut (Mansonia) for these parts. Much better I think. I love the wood you use. Never seen it before. Is that a tree only to be found in Australia?

Peter

Good morning John. Another Cazador Xebec. Awesome. Welcome to the Xebec club ;) . Good call on remaking the stem and false keel. The plywood is not nice. I scored a luck in my kit as these parts are African walnut. @Ptèr build is certainly a wonderful tutorial. Enjoy. Cheers Grant

Thank you Grant, yes I have noticed some differences in the kits, example my cannon are brass and in one kit they look like white metal, I've got to find time to go through the other build logs and see what all you guys have done.
On another subject it is a long time since I was in Capetown, I used to sail on the Union Castle boats as a Steward, some great memories of Capetown and sailing up and down the coast between Cape town and durban.

best regards john.

Hi John. It is great to see you build a wooden kit model again and the Xebec sure looks like a fun build. I am sure you will create a beauty for all of us to enjoy.
Thank you Heinrich, yes it makes a change from scratch building, but then again there is always something that needs adjusting or remaking, but that is all part of the fun, thank you for dropping in,

best regards john,

Nice work! I actually used the died plywood keel because I wanted to paint it black. So no need to change it. ;)
Dean thanks for dropping by, I was tempted to do the same, I will only be building her from the box apart from a couple of things, and only using the metal decorations,

best regards john,

OMG, look at the size of RW compares to Cazador. It's almost that the Xebec is the lifeboat of RW. ROTF
Like Grant said, RW is a beast!

Nice work on the stem, keel and rudder. I didn't like the plywood as well. Grant's version have nice solid African Walnut (Mansonia) for these parts. Much better I think. I love the wood you use. Never seen it before. Is that a tree only to be found in Australia?

Peter

G'day Peter, yes she is a bit on the large side, from figure head to transom she is 55 inches breadth is 12 inches and height from keel to top of transom is 18 inches.

The wood is Australian Myrtle and I think it only grows in the Australian Region when varnished over time it develops a nice deep hue,

best regards john,

23.jpg
The rudder, still have to round the tiller,

24.jpg
and with the stern post still a bit more filing etc to do,

25.jpg
I don't like planking and then having to cut out the slots for the stem Keel etc to fit, so i have attached the stem keel and stern post and will plank up to them,

26.jpg
looks nice and straight,

27.jpg
side elevation,

28.jpg
view from the bow,

29.jpg
I will have to file out the slots on the stern post a little bit more, and remove the nails from the bulwark shape,

Thanks guys for the comments, my spindles arrived for making the railings around the companion way so i decided to make up the balustrades,

981.jpg
These are the spindles, they are too tall, they are 40mm long 3mm at the thickest, so they have to be cut down,

982.jpg
a closer look, they are cleanly turned,

983.jpg
I decided on the spacing and set up the milling machine and drilled the holes through two pieces at the same time so that they would match,

984.jpg
for the first set i cut and used the section from the middle of the spindles, but these i think are too tall,

985.jpg
so for the next set I used the bottom part of the spindles, luckily i had ordered more than i needed, these ones are more in scale and after a bit of sanding and adding a capping piece to the rail i think they will be OK,

986.jpg
This is more or less what they will look like when set around the companion way,

987.jpg
Now for the steps themselves, the angle was to steep to attach the spindles so I used builders license and reverted to the iron stanchion and rope through them, once its all in place I doubt if it will be seen,

988.jpg
and with the ropes attached,

989.jpg
set down and glued in place,

990.jpg
and with a section of the balustrade to show how it will look,

991.jpg
and with a figure to give some scale, still some trims to add,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john,

Back