Cazador Xebec - OcCre 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I fully agree with Peter @Peter Voogt When you building from scratch, you uncover hidden skills and tallent. Great job on the decorative piece. You can improve it but making some cuts a bit deeper and round (make it thinner at the end of florals. But it is just a suggestion, it does look great now! :) Happy New Year!

I decided to paint the decorations a darker copper color to make them more subtle, if that’s even possible!
Then I added the thole bases for the oars.
I believe it’s a rap on Mini Me (ships boat)!
It’s been a long journey!
Pics to follow...
View attachment 202552View attachment 202553View attachment 202554View attachment 202555View attachment 202556
Hi Dean, I must say what an excellent job you have done on your ships boat. I’ve been following your progress, and haven’t commented on it yet but you have done such an impressive job that I just have to congratulate you on your effort. I wish that I could have gone to your lengths on my AV boats but with eleven of them I just couldn’t find the enthusiasm, but now that you’ve shown how it could have been done I regret not giving them the attention that you’ve shown. Well done

Hi Dean, I must say what an excellent job you have done on your ships boat. I’ve been following your progress, and haven’t commented on it yet but you have done such an impressive job that I just have to congratulate you on your effort. I wish that I could have gone to your lengths on my AV boats but with eleven of them I just couldn’t find the enthusiasm, but now that you’ve shown how it could have been done I regret not giving them the attention that you’ve shown. Well done
@Ken
Thank you very much for the compliment and for taking the time to share your thoughts. Given I only had one ships boat to build, it did factor into how much extra effort I put into it. It’s the only one and gets all the attention, so I thought it was warranted. On the Amerigo Vespucci, which you did an excellent and admirable job on, I probably would have done the same as you because it has so much going on, that those boats won’t get nearly as much attention. I guess it’s a judgment call, based on time and size of the project. We can put in extra effort into any and every aspect of the ship. But due to time constraints, we usually have to decide what warrants the extra effort. For example, I put simulated nails on the deck boards, but only at the ends of the boards. By the time I put the ships boat in, with all the cannons and other deck furnishings, you will only see about 20% of the deck. Yet we go the extra mile for things that often get covered up!

I fully agree with Peter @Peter Voogt When you building from scratch, you uncover hidden skills and tallent. Great job on the decorative piece. You can improve it but making some cuts a bit deeper and round (make it thinner at the end of florals. But it is just a suggestion, it does look great now! :) Happy New Year!
Thank you, I initially started to use a tiny file to make some of the grooves. But in the end because it’s such a tiny delicate piece I decided to add the glue for more shape. But I fear that made it too thick. I sanded the back some, but it started breaking, so I stopped.
I would do it differently next time. But at this point It would be very hard to modify being surrounded with railing boards. But I’m not ruling it out! ;)

Once again, thank you to all who have commented and followed thus far. I really appreciate the encouragement and compliments. Jimsky, Paul, Peter, Don, Ken, Heinrich, Pianoforte, Demotasdg, Stargazer, PT-2, Charles QC, Mr Deep, Terry, Shota70, etc...too many to list.
I never thought this ship would get much attention, unlike the common favorites. But to my surprise many have looked at my build, and took the time to comment. I really couldn’t ask for more.
I hope you got something in return, perhaps a technique I used, a color combination, artistic license, or even a modeling approach to building something on the ship. We share for help and input, and at the same time to hopefully pass on something that may help others make a better model. I have certainly learned a lot on this build, and by following the builds of many talented members of SOS.

Have a great New Year!

Last edited:
Once again, thank you to all who have commented and followed thus far. I really appreciate the encouragement and compliments. Jimsky, Paul, Peter, Don, Ken, Heinrich, Pianoforte, Demotasdg, Stargazer, PT-2, Charles QC, Mr Deep, etc...too many to list.
I never thought this ship would get much attention, unlike the common favorites. But to my surprise many have looked at my build, and took the time to comment. I really couldn’t ask for more.
I hope you got something in return, perhaps a technique I used, a color combination, artistic license, or even a modeling approach to building something on the ship. We share for help and input, and at the same time to hopefully pass on something that may help others make a better model. I have certainly learned a lot on this build, and by following the builds of many talented members of SOS.

Have a great New Year!
Yeah, Dean, I was actually watching in the hopes that you'd have a massive screw up so I could mock you relentlessly. Keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

I took the advice of Jimsky...and I tried to add a little more depth to the ornamentation by doing some carving with an xacto knife. No room for file or sanding, so I mainly did some chip carving. Then I dry brushed. I think it’s an improvement?

Last edited:
In conclusion, the ornamentation is not perfect...but after showing the admiral again, she reminded me of a Bonsai tree I once owned! You see, in my pursuit of perfection I trimmed and shaped it until it no longer had enough foliage to survive and died! :(
I felt bad, but not as bad as the tree! ;)

Last edited:
For reference, this is how the kit instructions show you to build it...which doesn’t look bad, but it doesn’t match the ship.
View attachment 202557
I see a beautiful resonance and harmony in the wood tones between the boat and ship in your starboard elevations photo. Your carving of the boat aft quarter decorations are excellently carved and finished matching the precise edge gilding. RIch

Back