Cazador Xebec - OcCre 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Dean,
I see cutting fever hits you! Very well done.
And from other reply’s: step by step, have a rest, sit and look what’s done, smile and speak to yourself: YES, I have done all this till now. And you set your mind and go to the next chapter. Thats what I see in your whole build-log. And you still don’t know what other skills you have ;).
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter! It wasn’t too long ago I had a keel with some bulkheads sitting in front of me. Now I’m building masts!

Looks awesome Dean. How many times have you been searching the carpet for parts? ROTF I think putting up the masts is my favourite part of the build. It's like the transition from hull and deck pieces to entering the final stages of the build, especially once the shrouds are up with the ratlines on. Even though I would almost pay someone to tie my ratlines. ;)

Looks awesome Dean. How many times have you been searching the carpet for parts? ROTF I think putting up the masts is my favourite part of the build. It's like the transition from hull and deck pieces to entering the final stages of the build, especially once the shrouds are up with the ratlines on. Even though I would almost pay someone to tie my ratlines. ;)
Hey Chris, I have lost a few tiny pieces in the carpet! One was the brass trunnion cap for a cannon...sigh!
These masts are different, and there are no rat lines or belaying pins. Everything is tied to a rail or a cleat. And the rail is low (close to deck) and belaying locations in between cannons in some instances. So it will be interesting. ;)

I find tying off the lines a lesson in patience as the line never goes where I want it to, moves once I get it in place and comes off before I get it tied down. Much cursing involved in getting them tied down properly. Eventually I manage but I think I’ll need some better rigging tools then what I’m using now. Especially once I start HMS Fly.

I find tying off the lines a lesson in patience as the line never goes where I want it to, moves once I get it in place and comes off before I get it tied down. Much cursing involved in getting them tied down properly. Eventually I manage but I think I’ll need some better rigging tools then what I’m using now. Especially once I start HMS Fly.
My rigging tools are basic; a couple of pairs of tweezers, hemostats, small scissors and nail clippers. I use nail clippers to cut lines in tight areas where the scissors won’t fit. ;)

I’ve entered rigging hell! ;)
Where to start? I built all the masts. Then I made the shroud pendants for the foremast.

then I put them on the mast with woolding rope. They recommended the thinnest line! Yikes! I used a thick waxed black rope I had and also used for the bowsprit gammoning.

these were fun to do! Not really! :(
Then I glued the foremast in.
Next was making some parts for the bowsprit that the foremast stay attached to. Have to make from brass wire. Guess they like making you scratch build?

then it was time to do the ropes for this.

and we are sewing now! ;)
So the other masts are just sitting in place. I won’t glue them until I attach the shroud pendants. Those are made measuring the full scale rigging plan.

so that’s all the fun for now...

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the shroud lines will be fun. Because for some reason they like to use a toggle on every line and most are tensioned with 3-4 pulleys!
View attachment 203654
what were they thinking? And if you’re not familiar with toggles...
View attachment 203655View attachment 203656
they are just extra work...sigh! But they had their uses, for quick removal like a belaying pin. This ship has no belaying pins, all lines are tied to rails. Except sail lines which are tied to cleats.
So I suspect that’s why they used toggles everywhere. I will get good at rigging them! ;)
Were the small sheaves supplied in the kit, scratch made or purchased? I have been trying to find those without success . . . only much larger ones. I will need some for my Bluenose MS2130 at ~1:64 scale. Rich

Were the small sheaves supplied in the kit, scratch made or purchased? I have been trying to find those without success . . . only much larger ones. I will need some for my Bluenose MS2130 at ~1:64 scale. Rich
They were supplied with the kit.
But you should be able to find some online. I usually order from Ages of Sail, Model Expo and Nature Coast to name a few. They all have a good selection of accessories, fittings, etc.

They were supplied with the kit.
But you should be able to find some online. I usually order from Ages of Sail, Model Expo and Nature Coast to name a few. They all have a good selection of accessories, fittings, etc.
You are right but they don't have them as small as I am looking for. Maybe my new small hobby lathe can come into service. Rich

Just want to advise.All ropes ,threads before installation ,I advise you to burn them on fire to remove the hairiness.very spoils the impression in the photos.I stretch all the ropes after winding in my hands over the gas stove.You can do it over a burning candle.

Just want to advise.All ropes ,threads before installation ,I advise you to burn them on fire to remove the hairiness.very spoils the impression in the photos.I stretch all the ropes after winding in my hands over the gas stove.You can do it over a burning candle.
I usually put some clear glue, like Weldbond, on the lines and rub on with my fingers to eliminate the fuzz after I tension the lines. I did the forward stay lines, but not the shroud pendants lines yet.
I appreciate the tips. I looked at your Mystique build and you do excellent work! I hope to eventually achieve that, but for now I am trying to work with what the kit gives you and make a few embellishments along the way. I am not to the point where I want to make my own lines yet! But maybe one day! ;)

I’ve read in several threads to rub bees wax on your lines to eliminate the fuzzies.
Yes, I am not sure what that entails. Doing the lines after rigging or doing before you use the line. And how that effects the glue adhesion if you do prior to using the line? I have switched to Weldbond for all rigging, but used to use CA. I have developed an allergic reaction to the CA and avoid it now. Get flu like symptoms and nose gets stopped up! So I only use it when I have to for metal parts, or when planking the hull.
First step is to get some bees wax! ;)
I do have some waxed line I purchased on for my previous ship. But its black for the standing rigging.

I have a question for those with more experience. Is it beneficial to put the sails on the yards before putting them on the masts? Or is it better to put the sails on the yards after installing the yards (and all rigging for the yards), so they are not in the way? Thanks!

Hello Dean, Just found your build log, I see you are doing great with your rigging just a bit ahead of e in my Oliver Cromwell scratch build. Just love your bowsprit out haul that sure dose look neat.
Regards Lawrence

Back