CFShipModel 1:150th Nina 1492

Hi guys,

My el cheapo small scale Nina arrived today bought off of Ebay for $22.00 This will be a photo unboxing and impressions review so everyone can see what to expect
from such a cheap kit. Im not going to bash it and compair it to Corel, Mamoli, Sergal, ect as it is not in their league or price ranges. This will be an honest what I think review
based on the price I payed and what I feel I can do with this kit.

Lets start with the box art :) Thats always a fun place to begin and thats what catches your eye right. :)

20200702_140221.jpg

Its a pretty picture printed out on paper then pasted onto the box. I origonally thought this kit was associated with CAF Models as it says the logo in the top right corner.
Lower right corner says CFShipModel, hmmm... I wonder why that is. So the picture is pretty but the size of the box was a let down but only because Im used to buying much larger,
more expensive kits. Next photo is for scale with my coffee and mouse.

20200702_134245.jpg

"Itsy bitsy teenie weenie polka dot bikini" plays at full volume in my head as I see the comparison.. lol

Inside the box we are presented with, surprise, some very small parts laser cut in very thin plyboard. However, for as small as they are the cuts are crisp and clean with no warping
evident in any of the ply sheets. A+ for the quality control on this scale and this cheap.

20200702_140459.jpg

20200702_140540.jpg

20200702_140547.jpg

I found their attempt at the deadeyes pretty neat, we'll see how much of a pain they are to shape and rig though.
The decks of course are one peice with printed on plank detail. The thought of some basswood sheet cut into planks to
replace it has crossed my mind and will probably happen.

I was surpised to see some sort of pinrails included as well as gratings and a seperate door on the bottom sheet.

20200702_140443.jpg

Next we have hull finishing supplies, a bunch of laser cut planks from extremely thin ply, transom/stern piece with finely laser engraved planks. No, it is not ink as I can feel each line
as I run my finger across the piece. I was really expecting much, much worse quality for such a meager price point.

20200702_140729.jpg

20200702_140641.jpg

And then we have a god knows what they are supposed to be, but I'll eventually find out :p

20200702_140619.jpg

And what kit would be complete without dowling for masts and spars, rigging material in 4 sizes, and then 2 clear plastic anchors? Once painted black and the laser cut
wood parts installed they actually probably wont look too bad. Oh, and we have paper sails? I think thats what they intended.

20200702_140322.jpg

20200702_140820.jpg

Now we have a legal size paper with a sail/rigging plan ( kind of ) and a short history of the vessel in English. Note there are 2 small flags on the bottom to cut out and paste on the ship.
Then a one page, 14 step instruction manual, all photos with calls to each of the different sheets of ply and parts in English.

20200702_140828.jpg

20200702_140849.jpg

20200702_140902.jpg

So that is what $22.00 US gets you on Ebay in this year of our lord 2020.

I actually expected a total let down, horrid parts with half broken, and Chinese only instructions. No offence to our Chinese friends intended, I just cant read or speak the language.
What I got really isn't bad at all considering the scale of the model and the price I payed. Yes I know this would be tossed aside as not even worthy of fire pit fodder by most
modellers but I was curious what was in the box so I bought it. It very well may end up being my first SOS build log as well. My wife and I had a spot in the basement that was
going to be my workshop now that Im returning to ship modelling, but before we got it cleared out and fixed up our youngest daughter needed to move back home. So for the
time being I kind of need something small to goof with as I have nowhere to build my Black Beard, HMS Terror, or anything else.

Thank you for reading and following my follies as I dove deep into the world of cheap Ebay ship models :)

Clair

This will be a photo unboxing and impressions review
Thanks for doing this Clair. I find the CAF label on the box most interesting. I am going to just totally speculate here with zero fact checking. Perhaps at some point Tom from CAF could explain this. I am willing to bet CAF may have laser cut the parts on behalf of CFModel. I am also willing to bet this kit was originally intended primarily for the domestic China market and made it out onto EBay. Just my guess. Nothing illegal or anything like this... happens all the time. CFModel may have their own in-house CAD designer but no laser fabrication equipment, so used CAF to make the parts for them. Just a guess.

Looking forward to you building this small kit. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for reading and following my follies as I dove deep into the world of cheap Ebay ship models :)
Many thanks for the kit review. At least, members can\will make their decision based on your kit review!

...so shall we expect a build log of your Nina? You can start it here

Great job on the review. I think the frames and bits are worth $20. If those deadeyes are plywood, they may not cooperate well. However, you can always supplement with other wood or some little scratch bits, and still be in a good zone price-wise.
I'll be watching for your build to see what you make of this little bargain.

Hey guys,

Wifes in bed early and Im feeling crummy tonight so just looking through Ebay on ZHL's store... Guess what, ZHL sells this ket, if anyone is interested.

Clair

YEAH but.... but, It's so T I N Y.!!! Whole thing will fit in the palm of your hand.!!

I mean....If you can believe the scale = 1:150. And the size of the Nina was supposedly 70 feet or slightly less. That would put the size of the hull of this model around 5 1/2 inches...more or less, depending on where you take the measurements.!! Redface :p

I was surprised ZHL is selling it.
I am not surprised Clair. ZHL not only manufactures original kits of their own, but they are also a reseller of other kits. In this case they are selling the CFModel kit for a slight mark-up $29. I do find it interesting that the pictures shown by ZHL of the kit box cover does not include the CAF logo.... only the CFModel logo.

All is legit.

Such a tiny model..... LOL

Well Im slowly working away on my daughters '03 Malibu in the 90+ degree heat today.... Whew... But on days I feel ok I work... My plans are to start building the
"Lil boat that thinks maybe it can, but not entirely sure" this evening. It's tiny but has me intrigued if I can successfully build it and do it decently.

My first step will be figuring a way to stiffen up the ply false keel and bulkheads. They're quite thin and flimsy. I was thinking a kind of dry brushing with some
carpenters glue I use on household projects. I dont want to induce a warp but I'd like more rigidity. It'll be the first time in over 10 years actually working on a model,
Im very excited. I know its a crap kit, but I see it as a test to see if I still got it or my eyes are too shot and my shaking hands should stay in my pockets.

Ok, back to sweating out a front suspension on an old Bowtie. In the immortal words of Curly Howard : "If at first you dont succeed keep on suckin till you do
suck seed".

Clair

Well gents,

It's almost 10pm here and I just finished cleaning up from working on the car, the patient survived surgery but needs a couple more parts. I'll get to those next week,
she liked driving dads Impala anyhow... lol Anyway I'm whupped and too tired and sore to start messing with the Nina tonight. I'll be starting her tomorrow
instead. I think I'll just research a little more tonight but the bed keeps howlin my name.

Clair

Very interesting review and perspective on a kit that was a gamble. Looks like it could be fun if not a challenge to work so small but there is a "cuteness" factor to small that will be rewarding. Look forward to following this build.

Back