Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

The start of another build, a very different one as compared to my last four.

I'm hoping the skill set learned with this endeavor will help with future builds.

For today just a picture of the box, tomorrow I'll inventory the contents and post pictures of those.

03A9AE6A-6388-49EF-B2A4-097DFEB0E1BA.jpeg

My intent with this "KIT" is to use the parts in the kit but add additional detail as the build progresses.

Jan

Now that is called not letting any grass grow under your feet! I will be here - as usual :). Camping chair - check; sleeping bag - check; coffee - check; pom poms ... check

The steamboat Bertrand sank on the Missouri river in 1865 and was buried in a matter of days. It was fully excavated in the 1960s.
It was hoped to finance the dig by salvaging the mercury in cast iron carboys heading for the gold fields, but most of that and the steam engine were gone. But the wreck has been very, very well documented. Here's the full report:
There is a set of plans at the Library of Congress HABS/HAER, but I could not find it in a quick search

The steamboat Bertrand sank on the Missouri river in 1865 and was buried in a matter of days. It was fully excavated in the 1960s.
It was hoped to finance the dig by salvaging the mercury in cast iron carboys heading for the gold fields, but most of that and the steam engine were gone. But the wreck has been very, very well documented. Here's the full report:
There is a set of plans at the Library of Congress HABS/HAER, but I could not find it in a quick search
@pebbleworm, Many thanks for the info. It will be added to my collection of data on these type of boats.

Jan

I just had to do it. The Admiral is off to the last of the X-mas in July sales and the sky just opened up with a T-storm, so using that as an excuse I'm in the Pathfinder boat yard.

36F8FF5A-B47A-425C-B24D-FFDF26FDD980_1_201_a.jpeg

Nothing fancy or permanent yet. Just a quick dry fit to see what I need for a build board. There isn't much Laser char to content with and the bulkheads fit reasonably snug. The fist three or four in the bow need a slight adjustment to get them square to the keel. The rest of the bulkheads will be fairly easy to square and glue.

I did notice one thing.

AB5DD7A5-FA6B-45A8-B09A-CE7780ADBB71_1_201_a.jpeg

There is a wee bit of angle on top of the bulkheads from the Laser cut. My first thought was that it was to help keep the deck angle aligned since both the Bow and Stern sweep up. But when one looks at the fairing lines on the first five bulkheads that kind of negates that theory.

Now the sanding, gluing and general cleanup of char stage starts.

To be continued.

Jan

Hi Jan,
I like very mutch your choise to build a Paddle Steamer Stern Wheeler! The Chaperon-kit looks nice.
It takes another mindset to build a ship with such a large flat bottom.
A nice pictures with that bunch of bulkheads in line.
I look forward to seeing how the build goes with your additional details.
On this side you can find a lot of information:
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back