Chapman Water Hoy 1768 by DocBlake - Scratch Build - 1:48 scale

Dave I have a question for you. What would you advise? To fair the bulkheads first and then place the filler blocks, or the other way around?
I think that if you use balsa for the filler blocks, adding them after fairing will work. If basswood or something harder like pine, add the fillers before fairing.

The next task was to thin the bulkhead extensions. They were left thick to allow fairing of the outside of the hull. The inside surfaces then need thinning. I use X-Acto blades and a Proxxon detail sander with 60 grit adhesive backed sandpaper. Worked well. No broken extensions because of the two thicknesses of basswood ninety degrees to each other. Photo (23-28)

27.JPG28.JPG23.JPG24.JPG25.jpg26.JPG

The next task was to thin the bulkhead extensions. They were left thick to allow fairing of the outside of the hull. The inside surfaces then need thinning. I use X-Acto blades and a Proxxon detail sander with 60 grit adhesive backed sandpaper. Worked well. No broken extensions because of the two thicknesses of basswood ninety degrees to each other. Photo (23-28)

View attachment 315405View attachment 315406 progress Doc,
great progress Doc :) Thumbsup

Having already faired the bulkheads for my "Flying Cloud" and plan to use balsa blocks between, I fear I'm a little late like Spring with this same question. But I too would like to know what you recommend for future reference. I faired the bulkheads first because I could do it off the model. But I guess that would be less of a problem once the balsa blocks are glued in between. Following your builds is very instructive generally, as well as to any specific model you happen to be building.
I look forward to following along.

Pete

Back