Kit review Charles W. Morgan Whaling Bark 1:64 scale - Model Shipways

Most of you guys know this fact but let me just start with a brief history according to MS.
The Morgan was originally built fully-rigged, but right after the Civil War she was modified to become a double top sail bark.
Her wailing days came to an end 1921 with the decline whale oil prices.
She was purchased by Mystic Seaport back in 1941, she is now a beautiful restored monument to the men who built and sailed her.

This model does not have the color pictures in the instruction book like other MS models, but nevertheless these are also helpful with step by step construction details.

54AF7FCB-196D-4FD7-8F11-858CAA989DB0.jpeg5D664FDD-51A3-497B-9AA1-503F829076A4.jpeg2AE1A1D2-FEA9-434A-85D8-925F5EB51B5F.jpeg86EC24A6-05CF-439E-89F5-8DDC6D8DB055.jpeg5FB88489-7D22-4DEA-917B-43087CEFCE95.jpeg4336A597-CC6F-436E-8926-D9C75D561E10.jpeg68E6AA4C-249A-44F5-8F33-B1CD0386AA9D.jpegA3712816-1A45-4310-801B-92D7B5C5028D.jpeg62D10BFE-267F-4506-8135-CFCAAB53CA7B.jpeg8195B1EA-0179-449B-A558-94BF1CA165F2.jpegCE339FC7-AB19-436C-8383-A28E26C7576A.jpegB60C62BC-7CDB-4CF6-814F-F60D9CEA99DA.jpeg

That’s all I got for now.

But soon I’ll be posting a “Special Review” about the USS Constitution Cross-Section 1797 Wood Model - 1:76 Scale.
You are going to be surprise with the pictures.
Just as a preview, I’ll say this is a model designed by Ken Foran.
He attended the Cleveland Institute of Art, and graduated with a B.F.A-Industrial
Design.
Ken first exposure to model building was watching his father hand carved ship models while he was a child.
He has a corporate executive; paid for the training of designers and engenders on 3D CAD programs even dough he himself was never in the position to learn the program himself.

This Master/Modeler/Designer/Engineer is the master mind behind the MS Connie Cross section and many other models they have.

I will be posting pictures of how “He” did the Cross Section right out his studio.

How about that?

When I look into my models closet; I ask myself the same question.
When and how long all of this models will take me to build?
So once in a wile I look at them and choose a favorite for my next build but tomorrow comes along and I change my mind again and choose another.
But what is really crazy is the fact that If I see a model that I like....I just buy it.
Is this a sickness?

The finished model is realy convincing - very well built by the way
It is really an interesting and good kit
But what is really crazy is the fact that If I see a model that I like....I just buy it.
Is this a sickness?
NO - definitely not
otherwise we have all to go into mental hospital ...... IT IS NOT SICKNESS ..... it is human

When I look into my models closet; I ask myself the same question.
When and how long all of this models will take me to build?
So once in a wile I look at them and choose a favorite for my next build but tomorrow comes along and I change my mind again and choose another.
Is this a sickness?
Sickness ?? No way. Take a look at my site, 95% of the models shown belong to me. I am said to have a certain collecting rage. It's fun, gives satisfaction, world-shattering discussions about the only (!) right mast or block, but doesn't make you sick. But if you do - I'll be there for you and take off some models ;):)

I know what you mean.
I remember long time ago, my wife opened one of the closets looking for some space wanting to put away something and the only thing she could see there was model boxes.
So what came out her mouth was
“Are you thick?”
I turned around and said: “cough-cough-cough...yes”.
Also when I take my models to work and the guys see so many tiny nails on the deck, They throw the same expression: “You are thick”.

I built this about 6 years ago, having taken a break from a semi-scratch Oneida.
Good plans and instructions, Wasn't very happy with the wood quality or single plank construction, but I was used to European kits.
It took about 500 hours . Depends on time (abilities +/- obsession) for painting.
I was provided with and used self adhesive copper spool, cut to size for individual plates- they remain shiny and not aged- but look OK
Overall, a satisfying build, different from warships.
I had the added privilege of visiting the ship at Mystic Port, a most wonderful place

Stuglo:
Thanks for that information.
It looks like a intricate model to build.
Have you posted any photos of the finished model in this forum?

Bluebeard,
Thanks for doing the Morgan one of my favorites. I have visited her many times, first in the 50's when she was resting on sand and painted with false gunports and mostly white not the buff color. That's how I will build mine when I get to it. I have a closet like yours, nothing wrong with that. I like to pull out a kit, look at the plans, think about it and put it back in the box. Very relaxing.

I have a problem with reviews like this, I want to go out and buy one lucky for me the store in another country.

Back