Cheap carved wood appliques

Does anyone know where I might find small wooded appliques for model ship applications. I've tried the usual craft stores but everything that have is too large,
I also wood like them " inexpensive " :rolleyes:

Wooden bits would be expensive, But if the decorations were gilded then they could be made from something else. BTW- Citadel make a great gold acrylic for their Warhammer figures range called 'Retributor Armour'.

If you look (perhaps on Ebay) for D&D or Warhammer figures and accessories you might find something you like - the scale is a bit fluid but many fogures for eample are 28-35mm tall. Otherwise soft brass wire twisted into a rope pattern can make a good-looking trim.

Does anyone know where I might find small wooded appliques for model ship applications. I've tried the usual craft stores but everything that have is too large,
I also wood like them " inexpensive "
Hi Bob,
Sorry for the questions but I find this idea of using appliques fascinating and hopefully useful for the future as my carving skill are deteriorating with old hands. Can you give a size range and what kind of patterns that you want? What do you consider inexpensive? This varies with everyone, especially for us frugal folks and our priorities. I think $50 for two of us to go to the movies and get a bite is crazy but then again $200 for a few balks of calycophyllum multiflorum for ship modeling is a bargain. :)
Allan

Wooden bits would be expensive, But if the decorations were gilded then they could be made from something else. BTW- Citadel make a great gold acrylic for their Warhammer figures range called 'Retributor Armour'.

If you look (perhaps on Ebay) for D&D or Warhammer figures and accessories you might find something you like - the scale is a bit fluid but many fogures for eample are 28-35mm tall. Otherwise soft brass wire twisted into a rope pattern can make a good-looking trim.
Yes I guess I'll have to expand my range of searching. During the night I also though of " miniature scale buildings ". You know the kind of ornament they would embellish the facades of old buildings. Will keep you informed of my findings.
Thanks

Hi Bob,
Sorry for the questions but I find this idea of using appliques fascinating and hopefully useful for the future as my carving skill are deteriorating with old hands. Can you give a size range and what kind of patterns that you want? What do you consider inexpensive? This varies with everyone, especially for us frugal folks and our priorities. I think $50 for two of us to go to the movies and get a bite is crazy but then again $200 for a few balks of calycophyllum multiflorum for ship modeling is a bargain. :)
Allan
I'm looking for " embellishments " such as carved ropes, wreaths, ornamental shapes that would have been used for " fancy work ' on old ships. I'm not adverse to 3d printed item's but have not found any thing with normal " searches " I know there must be some " cottage " industry out there that is making this kind of stuff but haven't been able to track them down. As far as cost , I realize everything costs money but when someone is charging $5.00 for something that contains 5 cents worth of plastic my interest fades,

Have you tried clay that is used to make the pieces then baked? If there are a lot pieces of a particular item such as wreaths around gun ports you can make one then make a mold with silicone and then pour casting resin to make the parts.
Check out https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...64-scale-plank-on-bulkhead.14654/#post-383978 post #17. If you want the pieces left in natural wood without the commonly done gold gilding this of course does not work unless you try a brown paint in a wood tone that you like.
Allan

Last edited:
Check eBay, AliExpress and Temu for "brass stampings"- lots of small to medium sized decorative bits there. Epoxy a short pin to the back and stick them where you need them. It might take some looking to find the perfect thing.

Check eBay, AliExpress and Temu for "brass stampings"- lots of small to medium sized decorative bits there. Epoxy a short pin to the back and stick them where you need them. It might take some looking to find the perfect thing.
Ok WOW ! I just did a AliExpress search and I hit the mother load. They have hundreds of exactly what I was looking for, I would have never thought of using that term for a search. You nailed it. Thanks so much.

I also wood like them " inexpensive " :rolleyes:
I have used parts from vintage scrapbook frames from Etsy. Cut them to your specifications and paint. You want inexpensive..you got it.

Back