Chebec Le Requin 1751 1:48

The history of the Chebec Le Requin

In 1749 a proposal was made by the commander of the Toulon dockyard to build four chebecs as an effective protection against the Barbary pirates. The corsairs primarily relied on fast and agile chebecs, while the frigates and sloops-of-war of the French navy proved ill-adapted to fight them. So it was logical to confront them with the same type of ships. The chebecs were shallow-draught vessels with concave waterlines in the bows and sides sloping outwards. They were rigged with lateen sails on all three masts and carried 20 - 40 guns.

The chebec Le Requin was built in 1750 - 1751 by Majorcan shipwrights at the Royal Dockyard in Toulon for the French navy. She was launched on 14 March 1751. Her crew were 220 men, her armament were twenty-four 8-pdr-guns. She was to show excellent sailing qualities and served in the French navy until 1770.
A more detailed history, plans and photos of a contemporary model are shown in a book by Jean Boudriot.

This ship model was built to plans by Jean Boudriot, in admiralty style with sides unplanked to show the inner timberwork of the ship. The guns and fittings are handmade of brass and burnished. The frames and planks are Swiss pear, Maple and ebony wood. The carvings are made from boxwood. It was built in almost four years.

Scale 1:48
Length 124 cm
Width 26 cm
Height 82 cm

Black 622-422.jpgBlack 622-432.jpgBlack 622-435.jpgESC5110.jpgESC5112.jpgESC5122.jpgESC5129.jpgESC5138.jpgESC5140.jpgESC5152.jpg

Greetings
Lucius

Last edited:
wonderful work, well done Your work is accurate, the details are precise

Outstanding job. I assume this has instructions in Chinese? I bought the 1:64 xebec and tho instructions in both Italian and briefly, in English. The instructions, however, for rigging were essentially nonexistent and when I went to ANCRE publishing to get the monograph in English, it cost more than the kit and more than I cold afford.
Are your instructions in Chinese or English? Would you be interested in selling them, particularly, the rigging part. Whether you do or not, total congrats on your magnificent job! Jordan Gulinson, Peoria, Az.

Outstanding job. I assume this has instructions in Chinese? I bought the 1:64 xebec and tho instructions in both Italian and briefly, in English. The instructions, however, for rigging were essentially nonexistent and when I went to ANCRE publishing to get the monograph in English, it cost more than the kit and more than I cold afford.
Are your instructions in Chinese or English? Would you be interested in selling them, particularly, the rigging part. Whether you do or not, total congrats on your magnificent job! Jordan Gulinson, Peoria, Az.
Rüdigers Le Requin is built in 1:48 from scratch based on this monograph
The complete monograoh is available for 135 Euros, but there is also the possibility to order only the planset (in scale 1:36) for 80 Euros

Lucius what a great set of pictures of a fantastic build. You must have some amazing tools and equipment in your workshop to produce such fine work, perhaps sometime you could show us some pictures of your workshop. Many thanks for showing this beautiful Xebec.​

The history of the Chebec Le Requin

In 1749 a proposal was made by the commander of the Toulon dockyard to build four chebecs as an effective protection against the Barbary pirates. The corsairs primarily relied on fast and agile chebecs, while the frigates and sloops-of-war of the French navy proved ill-adapted to fight them. So it was logical to confront them with the same type of ships. The chebecs were shallow-draught vessels with concave waterlines in the bows and sides sloping outwards. They were rigged with lateen sails on all three masts and carried 20 - 40 guns.

The chebec Le Requin was built in 1750 - 1751 by Majorcan shipwrights at the Royal Dockyard in Toulon for the French navy. She was launched on 14 March 1751. Her crew were 220 men, her armament were twenty-four 8-pdr-guns. She was to show excellent sailing qualities and served in the French navy until 1770.
A more detailed history, plans and photos of a contemporary model are shown in a book by Jean Boudriot.

This ship model was built to plans by Jean Boudriot, in admiralty style with sides unplanked to show the inner timberwork of the ship. The guns and fittings are handmade of brass and burnished. The frames and planks are Swiss pear, Maple and ebony wood. The carvings are made from boxwood. It was built in almost four years.

Scale 1:48
Length 124 cm
Largeur 26cm
Hauteur 82cm

View attachment 260665View attachment 260666View attachment 260667View attachment 260668View attachment 260669View attachment 260670View attachment 260671View attachment 260672View attachment 260673View attachment 260674

Les salutations
Lucius
impressionnant

Fantastic. World class work! Workshop and equipment up to par. This is no joke .....

Great looking workshop Ruediger I look forward to seeing more of your fantastic builds. Thankyou for showing these pics.
Kind regards JJ

really impressive!

i have a question about the Xebec Le Requin real size,
I just found, in a junk store, an old modelkit of The REQUIN Xebec,

The model kit is about 65cm long (including the (broken) Beaupré)
and i wonder what could be the exact scale of this modelkit as i must redo (thanks to 3d printing!) some broken or missing parts.
so i found on the web different sizes for different scales, so it's hard to know the right one!
Is someone has an idea of the right Lengh (max) and Width?

thanks!
IMG_7329.JPG

Last edited:
Back