Checking in

Nice blog site. First one I have seen that I like. Been doing ship models since 1948 and have done some for a museum down south. Steamboat New Orleans, Power train for same, Liberty Ship (R), diorama of a local shipyard in 1918 with Ferris Wooden ship on the ways and one partially built. My Uncle Joseph Schrieber had some Popular Science plans that I inherited and still have, Santa Maria, a brigantine and a few others. Found some of the articles on the net, but they are difficult to copy due to attached trash. I am currently working on a large scale model of the ironclad CSS Texas, which was started off scale by a person who is deceased. it is a challenge converting everything to the as built scale. Just finished turning down the 6 guns and will soon be making the carriages. Always fun!

Nice blog site. First one I have seen that I like. Been doing ship models since 1948 and have done some for a museum down south. Steamboat New Orleans, Power train for same, Liberty Ship (R), diorama of a local shipyard in 1918 with Ferris Wooden ship on the ways and one partially built. My Uncle Joseph Schrieber had some Popular Science plans that I inherited and still have, Santa Maria, a brigantine and a few others. Found some of the articles on the net, but they are difficult to copy due to attached trash. I am currently working on a large scale model of the ironclad CSS Texas, which was started off scale by a person who is deceased. it is a challenge converting everything to the as built scale. Just finished turning down the 6 guns and will soon be making the carriages. Always fun!
Welcome Keel Haul! Yeah, we like to have fun here and patronize each others work, learning from each other as we go. There are lots of good builders here who take ship modeling seriously, but not each other too seriously! :D Here you can build whatever you like. Everyone has their favorites, but all of use appreciate the workmanship of others, and try to encourage those just starting out to build and improve their skills, and have fun doing it. We don't even see many ironclads here, but are eager to see you build one, because they are truly fascinating. You can teach a lot of fun facts as you build which is a great opportunity for everyone.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing pics of the CSS Texas.

Welcome aboard Keel Haul. SoS is a great community. Great that you signed on. I would like to see some photo's of the ironclad model. Building since 1948, respect!

Another stint in the hospital, but getting back on track again with the CSS Texas ironclad as designed with 6 guns. This is an off scale model that was presented to the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Maritime Museum for them to use as an educational display by the widow of the person who started the project. So far the hull has been planked and decked and the 6 cannon have been turned on my lathe. This project has been wrought with issues rising from the failing health of the of the original model maker. Though there have been many hurdles to jump, I will probably be able to deliver the model to LPBMM in late Spring.
Photos, L to R - 7ft long hull on stand, 2 guns of the main battery, planking in process, trial fit of the built up propeller.
Current work is on the carriages for the cannon of the main battery.

MODEL ON STAND - Copy.jpg

20221003_155527.jpg

DSC01813 (3).JPG

20210718_164539 (1).jpg

Welcome to SoS. Wow, it seems you have a lot of experience, and I for one can learn a lot from. I assume that you must be from the south? I am from central Mississippi, since you had mentioned a museum down south in your post.

Welcome Keel Haul! Yeah, we like to have fun here and patronize each others work, learning from each other as we go. There are lots of good builders here who take ship modeling seriously, but not each other too seriously! :D Here you can build whatever you like. Everyone has their favorites, but all of use appreciate the workmanship of others, and try to encourage those just starting out to build and improve their skills, and have fun doing it. We don't even see many ironclads here, but are eager to see you build one, because they are truly fascinating. You can teach a lot of fun facts as you build which is a great opportunity for everyone.
Thank you. I am still in a relaxed recovery from my stay in the hospital and facing Holiday chores.

Welcome to SoS. Wow, it seems you have a lot of experience, and I for one can learn a lot from. I assume that you must be from the south? I am from central Mississippi, since you had mentioned a museum down south in your post.

Yes, I am from the Gulf Coast, Ocean Springs. The family were all seafarers, as am I.

Welcome aboard, it's looks interesting project, good luck & well done :)

Hallo @Keel Haul
all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back